Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Scary stuff.

Frequent tanner shares grisly skin-cancer selfie - CNN.com

Quote:
Now 27, Willoughby says she has had basal cell carcinoma five times and squamous cell carcinoma once. She goes to the dermatologist every six to 12 months and usually has a cancerous piece of skin removed at each checkup.

She's also become a cautionary tale about the hazards of tanning beds, thanks to a selfie she posted last month on Facebook. The grisly image, taken after one of her cancer treatments, shows her face covered with bloody scabs and blisters. It's since been shared almost 50,000 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
You're right it is scary but not enough to deter some brain dead teenager from baking under the sun for hours for that just right tan. I wonder if said teenager saw the ravages of skin cancer they'd think twice about it...not a chance.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Default Woman Shares Graphic Photo Of Skin Cancer Treatment As A Warning Message

Cover up folks~~

Woman Shares Graphic Photo Of Skin Cancer Treatment As A Warning Message

Old 05-13-2015, 05:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I have had to do this 3 or 4 times over several years. I do just one part of my face at a time. When it's really burned and peeling, it's quite painful.
Attached Thumbnails
Frequent tanner shares grisly skin-cancer selfie-2012-01-23_17-13-13_993.jpg  

Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You're right it is scary but not enough to deter some brain dead teenager from baking under the sun for hours for that just right tan. I wonder if said teenager saw the ravages of skin cancer they'd think twice about it...not a chance.
They do if they see how much worse one twin looks after sun damage. They don't want to look old and wrinkly. They figure the cancer won't happen to them, but once they sEE extreme aging they figure it out.

I once went out with a late twenties friend who smoked and tanned a lot. I was in my early thirties. They thought she was my mother. she quit both after that.

I have always taken excellent care of my skin...don't drink too much, never smoked, don't tan. I wear sunscreen and have a healthy diet, plus good genes. I have also used retin-a for two decades. That's a miracle worker. It builds and maintains collagen beneath the skin. ( I just wish I had put it on my chest. I wish someone had told me to do that in addition to my face, neck, and back of hands. It does reveal my age.)

The lady in the article looked good in the before picture, but she looked older than 28. The wrinkles around the eyes make her look closer to 35-40. Yikes.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
People don't believe this, but it is lifestyle PLUS the sun that causes damage. Sun brings out toxins, with too many toxins and not enough antioxidants you get sick/old. Smokers, or alcohol/drug abusers who also bake in the sun or tanning beds with the sole purpose of getting very dark are the ones who ruin their skin and get cancer. I live in Florida, am now in my 60s, get some sun several days a week while riding my bike. I maintain a light tan. I have fewer wrinkles or lines than many women I see in their 40s, and my skin glows. My doctors have mentioned my great skin. I do not smoke or abuse drugs/alcohol, I work out, dance, do yoga, ride bike and am muscular. So again, it's not that a ray of sun is a death ray, we need the sun for Vitamin D - just don't abuse it, people! Also the article is about TANNING BEDS - those things should be avoided, NOT NATURAL!

It's common sense, all things in moderation.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Honestly, most people's behavior doesn't change by seeing pictures (hearing motivational speakers, watching commercials with people with electronic voiceboxes or amputated limbs, etc.).

It changes when something drastic personally affects them. And even then, only sometimes. I've seen people with emphysema unhook their oxygen to go have a smoke, people who've lost loved ones to drunk drivers get wasted in bars, etc.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
My sister tans, and I do not. We look very similar in every way except she looks several years older than I do. She's 3 years younger. I don't avoid the sun, but I spend only short periods of time in direct sunlight.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
My sister tans, and I do not. We look very similar in every way except she looks several years older than I do. She's 3 years younger. I don't avoid the sun, but I spend only short periods of time in direct sunlight.

Did you show her this pics?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Did you show her this pics?
I posted it to my Facebook wall. I won't call her out publicly as a tanner. I'm sure she saw it and knows what could happen, as she is a nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty