Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times

Advertisements

Should I just go back to the store that I purchased them from? I know how to tie them in a basic way but I'd like them tied in a full windsor. Perhaps a tailoring store can tie them as well?

I plan on learning how to tie them myself but I don't want to experiment with the new ties I bought (they're pricey) and get them all wrinkled. So yeah, eventually I will know how to tie a full windsor.

Any suggestions on where I should go to get my ties tied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
OP, I would suggest getting a cheap tie and practicing after watching several youtubes.

If you practice for 10 - 15 minutes each day, you should be able to tie a good knot on your own in several days.

It is a skill worth learning!

Here is a youtube touted as the "best" one for tying windsor knots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_XhE2ma_E

If you don't like that one, use Google to look for other ones.

Last edited by Meemur; 05-19-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
This is the best site I've seen for learning to tie a tie: Tie-a-Tie.net | Learn How to Tie a Tie It shows the different styles of knots plus what they're appropriate for (what knot to use for interviews, what kind with a button down collar, etc)

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
As you probably know, tie fashion changes frequently. I think the full Windsor knot has peaked and is now on the decline. Maybe not, but that's the impression I get from seeing how the men around men are tying their ties these days. As tie knots go, it's not very versatile. It only works with certain collars and fabric thicknesses.

I personally like the double knot. It's simple, wide enough, but not too wide. It works for pretty much all ties and collars. For me, it's the goldilocks of tie knots.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As you probably know, tie fashion changes frequently. I think the full Windsor knot has peaked and is now on the decline. Maybe not, but that's the impression I get from seeing how the men around men are tying their ties these days. As tie knots go, it's not very versatile. It only works with certain collars and fabric thicknesses.

I personally like the double knot. It's simple, wide enough, but not too wide. It works for pretty much all ties and collars. For me, it's the goldilocks of tie knots.
How do you feel about tie dimples? Is it a must have?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
How do you feel about tie dimples? Is it a must have?
No, definitely not. Tie dimples seem to look best on wider ties. You can do them on the skinnier ties that are popular now, but they don't fit as well. I assume all of your ties are on the skinny side if you've purchased them recently.

Out of curiously, what are the occasions you're wearing ties to mostly? If they're swanky social events, then I'd say the more subtle details such as tie dimples, tie accessories, maybe even cufflinks, etc. are more important. If it's business settings or an interview, you can do them, but really it's probably best you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty