Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times

Advertisements

I was the ugliest kid around.

Now I've blossomed BUT , as possessor of a baby face, it has only been well into my later years, 30 plus, that I actually appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Sure it happens. My wife says she was very skinny, acne, glasses, and never had a date in HS. Got to nursing school and started to get some action, and when I met her I thought she was very pretty. I was instantly attracted to her beautiful smile, and she filled out just right. 40 years later, the oily skin of her youth still has very few wrinkles, still has a figure but a few extra pounds, and the smile is still fantastic. People are often surprised that she is as old as she is. Lots of things change as you age.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
The reason why I ask this is that growing up as I guy I was very insecure about my looks. Throughout much of grade school I was always referred to as "the ugly boy," and it seemed many girls were not shy to treat me as such. I would sometimes overhear people make light conversations over me asking others if they "would you have sex with him for a million dollars" and with every girl replying with a reassuring "no." I would even get teased in class for my inaptitude of meeting and attracting girls. Things didn't improve much in college as all the girls seemed interested in everyone else but me. However, things started to change around my late 20's. Girls became much more receptive and I often became the only one out of all my friends to successfully meet and flirt with women in public. I noticed come my early 30's I really was becoming better looking and I was having better luck meeting women in public than most of my other guy friends who were considered "studs" back in college or high school.

So is my little story the exception to the rule or can other not so popular guys at one time relate?
I think I have become better looking with age. I was never ugly but was also never Mr Cool in high school. As I am much older now, probably can have any girl I want. girls that ignored me in high school, think I'm hot now. yawwwwn

Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM

720 posts, read 500,523 times
It just depends. I think men have a better shot at aging gracefully as long as they take care of themselves. I think guys have until thirty to eat like crap, struggle with their booze, smoke, party, etc., but after that if you still living in the fast lane, you're probably not going to age well unless you have good genes.

I had to get my act together early on because I had a kid in my early-20s, so I had to learn to cook, keeping the drinking and partying to a minimum, and be responsible. As far as my looks, I guess I was a cute kid. I had and am still the proud owner of jug ears, so I had to grow into those as well as my lips and head, but I've always thought I was normal looking.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,091 times
I don't think it's common but I have seen it happen (in both directions) with a couple of my childhood friends. One classmate was shy, and kind of dumpy and nerdy in school. Then shortly after I college I bumped into him and wow! He had turned into a very handsome, hunk of a man. He obviously had hit the gym; he was physically fit, had great teeth, a good haircut, and was well dressed.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think I have become better looking with age. I was never ugly but was also never Mr Cool in high school. As I am much older now, probably can have any girl I want. girls that ignored me in high school, think I'm hot now. yawwwwn
I couldn't get a guy in high school to give me a second look if my life depended on it. It was a sad, sad time.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
The reason why I ask this is that growing up as I guy I was very insecure about my looks. Throughout much of grade school I was always referred to as "the ugly boy," and it seemed many girls were not shy to treat me as such. I would sometimes overhear people make light conversations over me asking others if they "would you have sex with him for a million dollars" and with every girl replying with a reassuring "no." I would even get teased in class for my inaptitude of meeting and attracting girls. Things didn't improve much in college as all the girls seemed interested in everyone else but me. However, things started to change around my late 20's. Girls became much more receptive and I often became the only one out of all my friends to successfully meet and flirt with women in public. I noticed come my early 30's I really was becoming better looking and I was having better luck meeting women in public than most of my other guy friends who were considered "studs" back in college or high school.

So is my little story the exception to the rule or can other not so popular guys at one time relate?
Men in general, shouldn't be too concerned about how they looked as a kid.

My ex was pretty.. um.. as his mom puts it "looked like Godzilla" as a baby. He actually kinda did. He's really handsome now and even as a younger adult.

I can tell some guys who are extremely insecure about their looks like my ex was, never feeling comfortable in his own skin, yet, girls found him super duper attractive.

It's those insanely gorgeous men who are arrogant who are ugly.

Even guys who feel ugly who try not to appear like they have low self-esteem to me, who are humble, who grew up to be VERY good looking, they are far superiorly attractive than a standard jock who's a meathead type who thinks every woman on earth should swoon over them when they wipe up a sweat.

Sad how society judges people, and puts crap inside their heads.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:03 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I don't think appearance change that 'drastically' from your late teens to your late 20's-early 30's. What can change drastically is your confidence.
How do you figure? I was acne covered and scrawny at 19 and by 22 even I was buff, fixed and whitened my teeth, clear skin, better fashion, LASIK eye surgery so no glasses ever needed, etc. I became way better looking.

When I was in high school I put a picture on HotOrNot and got a 5.5 which I thought was generous honestly. In college I put another and got a 9.8.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Actually, now that I think about it, I know quite a few people whose looks improved drastically after high school. One girl that I was friends with was always large - she had a pleasant face though. She lost a lot of weight and did some modeling as an adult. She's stunning now. Another friend was also overweight - she lost the weight and she, too, is now gorgeous. Both of the women have had children and are still gorgeous, too. And I know that some of my really good looking friends that I met in my 20's or 30's said that they had been nothing to look at when they were younger.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:05 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,000 times
Yea lots of weird looking kids grow into their looks. Look at the Olsen Twins, they looked like frogs, you'd have never have guessed they'd grow up pretty. You can always tell more by what the parents look like, some people just have certain looks that look weird on kids but look better when they're grownup. The opposite is true as well, look how adorable the Beaver was from Leave it to Beaver but once he hit puberty he looked to have fallen off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty