Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 AM

143 posts, read 177,668 times

Advertisements

I can't recall such a visual barrage in previous decades, especially the yoga pants aka leggings trend. It seems less and less is left to the imagination on the streets, combined with more narcissism.

Is this noticeable to most men, or am I just getting older and finding younger women less accessible, hence getting distracted in a different way? I'm 50+, for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 01:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
To me, the trend toward low-rise pants left a lot more hanging out than there used to be. Yoga pants seem more covered than that. I'm not sure if wearing leggings is narcissistic, a lot of people look very sloppy in them, like they probably don't own a full length mirror if they're going out in public dressed that way.

From looking at pictures of my mom and mother-in-law in the 60's, they both wore their skirts a lot shorter than people wear them now, and my mother-in-law had some pretty skimpy halter tops and bell bottoms that she wore in the 70's, and my mom had dresses that were very low cut.

Maybe you're just focusing a lot more on young women than you did when you were younger.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Yes, they are flaunting it and they don't care. The radical feminists made it okay and then throw in the, "I should be able to wear whatever I want without guys staring at me."

Personally, I believe if you're wearing tight or revealing clothing, that you shouldn't complain when people stare at you because I believe you're making an open invitation (coming from a 21 year-old young lady). I never expose my cleavage nor do I wear anything shorter than knee-length because I know that breasts and thighs can be very lustful. Even when dressed appropriately, I still have guys that make sexual remarks (I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I do consider myself to be attractive).

Old 07-25-2015, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
I can't recall such a visual barrage in previous decades, especially the yoga pants aka leggings trend. It seems less and less is left to the imagination on the streets, combined with more narcissism....
From what I see on TV and in the flesh, and I do mean flesh, yes there is a lotta lotta female flesh on view.

And judging from this particular forum, at least, there is at the same time a strong female aversion to men showing their bodies, and American men seem to be really hung up on a thousand different articles of clothing and footwear that they are afraid might make them "look gay."

Quite bizzaro.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I'm not sure if it's more on display. Its definitely in a whole lot more places, though. I am bombarded with half-naked women when I turn on tv or my laptop (facebook/instagram, etc), go out in public (I am shocked at what they wear to grocery shop in) to the pool to the gym, etc. Have you seen magazine covers lately? It used to be that I'd only see half-naked women at, say, the pool or the beach or a bar. Now they're everywhere.

Also, the fake boobs add a whole new level of putting it all out there. I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for saying this, but generally speaking, if you're very thin, you don't have big boobs so not a whole lot to show even if you're in a skimpy binkini. Now, I know maybe 3 women off the top of my head who have NOT had boob jobs. So now you have thin women with unnaturally large breasts strutting around. Yeah, that's gonna get your attention.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:56 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I still have guys that make sexual remarks (I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I do consider myself to be attractive).
Men sexually harassing women has nothing to do with the women's attractiveness.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:07 AM

396 posts, read 512,545 times
Some but certainly not all. I blame fashion trends for a lot of it. Whoever thought up the trend for skinny jeans certainly didn't have the more mature figure in mind but rather than try to squeeze into a pair and be uncomfortable, I'll wear my old jeans until they're threads holding hands or wear cotton or knit slacks.

A few years ago, I saw a woman my (then) age (late 50s) at a grocery store wearing hot pants and a short leather jacket. I had to wonder how she thought her look was remotely attractive but hey, her important bits were covered and as long as she felt good about herself, more power to her. It's just not something I would do.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
People care when woman show care but not men.
They can show their nipples if they like.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
I sometimes visit a local Starbucks which is about 200' from a gym .

In order to concentrate on writing I have to face my work against the wall ,but that's not always possible .
The regular stream of women on parade wearing little as possible ,some look very nice and others should be wearing sweat suits, really.
Some wear clothes that fit and some wear clothes they wish they could fit in.
If you girls only knew what guy see, and the way we see them.
But it seems that women dress to impress one another, not men necessarily.
Even so, I think the competition among women is entertaining.
Hint , tight under ware accentuates the fat.
Bikini briefs put a diagonal line across the butt, that doesn't belong there, like a divers flag.
Granny panties that actually fit the butt cheek are better. G string ,almost equal to wearing nothing.
Tight bras do the same thing, all around front , on the side, and in back.
It's not that guys have x ray vision ,it's simply a study done life long, with out really thinking about it.
Loosen up the clothing , let you body move , it's suppose to, especially in a work out but in regular life as well.
Many of the diseases women suffer is due to the lack of movement .
People do all kinds of things to their bodies for attention, or simply a sense of personal excitement defying the social norms.
I feel bad for women with large breasts , that is a heavy load on the back, not to mention doing every day tasks.
If your wearing clothes to be stared at, stop complaining.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Men sexually harassing women has nothing to do with the women's attractiveness.
Yep because if Rosie O'donell wears some see through yoga pants and shows her cleavage she will get more harassment than Kate Upton wearing a T-shirt and baggy jeans.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-25-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty