Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM

358 posts, read 282,951 times

Advertisements

I have lived in America for almost a decade now after moving from Europe. Where I come from nearly everyone is dressed up well, fashionably and basically dress up and look very nice - both men and women - probably 90% of the people. When I started high school, then college and now the work force here in the states, I always get comment from people how well and nicely dressed I am and some people assume I have a party or an event. However, at the beginning some people thought I was "gay" because I wear skinny pants /slim fit sometimes, etc.

In America I noticed only about 20-30% of the population dress up nicely, or at least good. Why is there big dress code difference? Sure, if you go to many urban places like NYC you see many people wearing nice clothes and also more common among Asian and Hispanic population (esp. males). Not everything should be about comfortability.

Many stores in America have those European style type of clothing and plenty of choices and options here, and indeed sales tax and clothing are in general much more affordable and cheaper in America so no excuses. Nobody asks you to buy expensive goods; indeed, H&M and Forever 21 are two examples of stores are affordable and nice things. What shocks me the most are especially women wearing gym clothes when shopping, and males wearing baggy pants or too much unmatched colors, big ties and wide shirts. Gym clothes belongs to gym or at home, not out in the malls, grocery stores, etc.

Sorry if anyone gets offended; not saying Europeans are better but when it comes to style and fashion, most of Europe wins on this. You can easily spot a European tourist on the street anywhere in America.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
It's quite easy to spot an American tourist in London they either have Ralph Lauren shorts or a Lacoste/hilfiger top on look very dapper must admit

I'm sure Americans can usually spot us Brits on holiday in the U.S. Especially in Florida, Texas and California ( Suns always out ) by us having our shirts off and beer bellies out

Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 PM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
You get panhandled if you dress nice. Girls wear jeans even when its blazing hot outside because of the pervy men. Dress down.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Lol not every American wears the same thing.

And it kinda seems that you dress like a nerd, which is very popular in the states now.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 PM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
I'm sorry loner I feel your pain, but they dress horribly. What is with the men wearing bright red shoes that match a red shirt? Ack. Over here, I haven't seen over there. And the godawful hair styles, gold chains, watches. Nobody wears a watch anymore. If I was a scammer I would only hear that you are susceptible to manipulation if done correctly

Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
If you compare social and economic classes, vs. doing some kind of blanket apples and oranges, I think you'll find that an array of attire is common across cultures. When I've traveled and visited family in Europe, my observations have been that working class folks dress down compared to upper middle class and higher just as they do in America.

Also, FWIW, I've been an American tourist in London, and I neither wear nor own Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, or Hilfiger. I'm sure I was as easily identifiable to some as a nonlocal, nonetheless, same as European visitors to my city here in the states are often easily identifiable as nonlocals for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Ive lived in Europe for years and I cant tell a European from an American from what they wear.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM

191 posts, read 272,842 times
Though there are plenty of exceptions out there, Americans do tend to dress in a sloppy manner. I really don't like the so-called athleisure trend that's been prevalent the past couple of years. I have a few ideas about why Americans are sloppy dressers, but they're just ramblings. Anyway, hopefully being well dressed makes a comeback here in the US.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
Though there are plenty of exceptions out there, Americans do tend to dress in a sloppy manner. I really don't like the so-called athleisure trend that's been prevalent the past couple of years.
Kind of like the so-called "chav" stereotype in the UK, you mean?

Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM

191 posts, read 272,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Kind of like the so-called "chav" stereotype in the UK, you mean?
Touche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.