Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/style/a-salesl...863156790.html

Spanx don't make you smaller. They smooth out the bumps and help the fabric fall correctly across your body.

Body shaming? Meh. I'm pretty sure every woman in my family would have been like:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I agree, she needed something to smooth out the look of the dress. Mom is overreacting.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
So they now have thier 30 seconds of fame, yay them. The level of ignorance humans have is mind blowing.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
The Dillard's clerk was out of line. The clerk was criticizing the girl's body and I don't know how you spin that in a positive way. The part where the clerk is still arguing with mom and daughter as they are trying to leave is obnoxious. I'm glad mom called the clerk out.

That being said, I couldn't imagine wearing that dress without some good foundation wear.

Still, it's not the salesclerk place to point that out.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I suspect the clerk wasn't arguing at all, I think she was probably apologizing. But the mom's side is the only one we hear.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
It is one thing to mention foundation garments / shapeware much as a sales person might make jewelry, shoe or other suggestions in an effort to sell more or enhance the look. It is quite another to badger customers, particularly minors. If she indeed wouldn't let up and followed them out of the dressing room she definitely crossed the line.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
We don't know what really happened. Nothing wrong with the salesperson suggesting shapewear under a clingy dress - it just makes the dress look better. It doesn't matter if you're fat or not. However, this girl is too heavy, but that's not the point of shapewear anyway.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
The girl would've looked absolutely stunning in that gown if she had been wearing some kind of "smoother" underneath it. She has exactly the right kind of curves to pull it off. They just need to be more controlled. That doesn't mean reduced or eliminated. The gown is clearly meant for her body type. The sales clerk was doing her due dilligence when she suggested Spanx to a) sell the gown - which was clingy and NEEDED a shaper underneath it, b) sell a shaper (an add-on to the potentially current sale), and c) help the girl see how remarkable she looks with all those gorgeous curves, when adorned in the right clothing and with the proper foundation beneath it.

Since we don't have access to the actual conversation, we don't know if the clerk was less-than-kind about HOW she presented the ideas, or if mom was getting defensive over absolutely nothing at all.

Fact is fact though - that girl would've looked like a superstar in that gown if mom had simply done as the clerk suggested.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 AM

221 posts, read 203,012 times
I have a very strong feeling that mom's version of events are somewhat skewed. Of course a sales person is going to suggest shapewear. First of all, it's a helpful suggestion, secondly, she probably has "upsale" quotas she has to meet. It's not body shaming to make a suggestion that could improve the way the garment falls on the body. Hell, I know skinny women who wear spanx.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
You really do need Spanx for a dress like that. It doesn't matter how big you are. A good saleswoman for formal dresses or bridal wear can also help you figure out what undergarments you need in order to make the dress look right. I think the saleswoman was trying to do her job.

I saw this story a few days ago and thought the mother was really overreacting. My daughter would be mortified if I posted a photo of her with a story like that.

The girl's not really heavy...she looks about the same size as my daughter, who wears a 10. Almost any dress looks great on my daughter, with the proper undergarments. And it would on that girl too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty