Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were talking about this the other day. There seems to be a subset of women out there that think dressing up for work = dressing up for going to a nightclub in Las Vegas.

This means, their "dress up clothing" consistent of super high (and shiny) stripy sandals, short and tight dresses perhaps with strategic cutouts.

I have to wonder, when did dressing up for work transition from a pencil skirt and a blouse to a bandage dress?

Pencil Skirt:
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...=l&tid=7176196

Bandage Dress:
http://img.shecloth.com/images/shecl...5562091245.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,869 times
What fields do these women work in? Admittedly, it's been almost 10 years since I've worked a full time job. However, when I worked in higher ed admin offices, it was unheard of to not be dressed professionally. My husband is in upper management at an IT company and often tells me about women who are reprimanded for not being dressed appropriately for work.

So I'm wondering where these women work who dress like you described.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
What fields do these women work in? Admittedly, it's been almost 10 years since I've worked a full time job. However, when I worked in higher ed admin offices, it was unheard of to not be dressed professionally. My husband is in upper management at an IT company and often tells me about women who are reprimanded for not being dressed appropriately for work.

So I'm wondering where these women work who dress like you described.
All kinds of places. One of my coworkers (an engineer) falls into this category, although not always super extreme. My co-worker recalled a couple of office jobs over the years in various industries where it happened. I think the only common theme is a dress code erring on the casual side.

I usually dress in legit business casual, although today I am veering more on the casual side of things with a skirt 2-3 inches above the knee and a fitted tee. My own office is casual. The CEO usually wears jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie most of the time. One woman dresses in 50s style, another in casual wear (leggings or jeans with a long sweater or cardigan), my boss typically in legit business casual. And the aforementioned engineer vacillates from jeans/nice top to the more nighttime outfit. Generally speaking, most of her clothes don't hit the business casual mark.

But I have found it to be pretty common, particularly for women under roughly 35.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,068 times
I see women (and men) wearing jeans and cheap tshirts with sayings like "I hate my job but i need the money" or some such at places ive worked. Of course, theres a huge difference between sitting in a cubicle in HR and being out on the factory floor running huge machines that can kill or maim you.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,869 times
Hmmm...interesting.

I think that in most places people are dressing up less, especially outside of the workplace. I mentioned in another discussion that it's rare to see people even dress up for church anymore. I didn't realize the trend had carried over into professional environments as wel.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
What's wrong with the pencil skirt?

Only the second picture looks inappropriate.

I would think you have to cover your thighs, shoulders and toes in a professional work field.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,496,084 times
Bandage dress at work?!

In the field that I worked in, if any woman came in wearing something sexy and inappropriate, your supervisor would tell you to either go home, or go out and buy something else to wear. If you made a big stink about it, your days would numbered. Three offenses and you would be fired.

This was considered dressing for work:

Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
What's wrong with the pencil skirt?

Only the second picture looks inappropriate.

I would think you have to cover your thighs, shoulders and toes in a professional work field.
Pencil skirt is fine. I mentioned the meaning of dressing up seemed to move from the pencil skirt to the bandage dress for some people. I thought some people might not quite understand what I meant by pencil skirt.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 AM

11 posts, read 13,828 times
I love pencil skirt on a woman but yeah too tight is really weird. I think Bandage Dress is very improper for work. Formal dress looks good on women.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,689,562 times
So glad I'm going to be a nurse and wearing scrubs every day. I don't even want to have to think about what I'm going to wear for work every day if I don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty