Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 613 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new here.
I've decided to get some new items to my fashion collection. The following question appeared - hot to take care of it. Maybe there is a common guideline which I should follow (depending on the material of clothing). That is the first question.
Second one is about ironing and steamer. Is it worth to pay more for a steamer? I've done some research and found a few articles about it (for example this one [Mod cut: URL deleted.]. Which model you could recommend (for average price) Sorry for asking silly questions)))

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-09-2017 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: New members may not post links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,976,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroman12 View Post
Hello, I'm new here.
I've decided to get some new items to my fashion collection. The following question appeared - hot to take care of it. Maybe there is a common guideline which I should follow (depending on the material of clothing). That is the first question.
This is a really a broad question. Obviously reading the care tag on individual garments is a good place to start. Beyond that, you should list the specific types of items that you want care advice for.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,283,739 times
It's always best to follow the care guidelines from the manufacturer on the label inside the clothing. If an item is machine washable I'll wash it inside out to help prevent damage to fabric. I also use those washable bags to hold smaller items in the washer. Use the gentle cycle on your washer for your washable "dress" clothing.

I don't own a steamer but I always use the steam option on my iron when clothing needs ironed.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
I have an iron, and find it annoying. The steam cleaner has been a game changer for me. And the steam setting on an iron is not the same at all.

I find the steamer is both easier and faster, and I am no longer skipping my clothing that is wrinkled.

The steamer is also gentler on fabrics, you don't have to worry about burning things, though I guess there is risk is a fabric gets water stains. But other than that? It is great.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,283,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have an iron, and find it annoying. The steam cleaner has been a game changer for me. And the steam setting on an iron is not the same at all.

I find the steamer is both easier and faster, and I am no longer skipping my clothing that is wrinkled.

The steamer is also gentler on fabrics, you don't have to worry about burning things, though I guess there is risk is a fabric gets water stains. But other than that? It is great.
What brand steamer do you have?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,013,642 times
I've always ironed...and once you know how, it's much easier, and looks better than "steaming". I have to add, that I have space to keep my ironing board and iron set up in a laundry space...so it's not a big deal. If you have to set up and take down the ironing board, then it can be problematic. If you don't have an ironing board, you're fighting a losing cause.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
What brand steamer do you have?
I have this one or an earlier model:
https://www.target.com/p/rowenta-gar...e/-/A-50696536

It was on sale for 40% off or similar when I purchased.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,963,054 times
I recommend washing clothes in cool water in the delicate cycle, and hanging to air dry. A steam iron works well for me, and I do like using spray starch on some items to restore the sizing and get some crispness. I take great care of my clothes, choose classic pieces and have some that still look new but are years old.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
If clothes can be washed in a washer, I always turn them inside out, wash like clothes together, and go with as cool a cycle as can be effective, which is basically nearly always cold water. And I hang dry clothes to air dry whenever possible as well. It cuts down significantly on wrinkles.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 937,143 times
I follow the tag directions on garments and have a steamer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty