Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times

Advertisements

I feel like a few years ago Coach was the "it purse that everyone had to have....then it swiftly went out of style and was replaced by Micheal Kors which is now kind of not considered great anymore.

What is the hot "it purse" of 2017 and even 2018?

Or are high end handbags going out of style in General? I'm curious to see people's answers. It might be interesting to see if answers vary by generations.

I'm 28 (millennial) and I have noticed most of my friends (young professionals) but their handbags cheap from tjmaxx or target. A couple of old co-workers did use Michael kors handbags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,707,073 times
I am with your friends on this one. I have never understood the concept of spending beaucoup bucks on handbags nor do I ever notice when someone is sporting an expensive and/or "it" handbag.

If it is cute and functional then that is the only thing I notice on someone else. And that is how I purchase/choose my handbags along with being very reasonably priced. And I don't care where I buy it either.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
High end bags aren't going out of style. But your examples weren't particularly high end.

For those your age, I know, who do not want to drop $500+ on a bag, want something nicer, or a "quiet" leather bag, I have seen lots of peoole gravitate towards Lo and Sons, Cuyana, Madewell and Everlane. Another brand is Linjer.

I'm older than you, don't care about "it bags," but I like nice ones. I have a strong preference for leather bags and discreet or minimal logos. Lately I have been seeking out leather lining too. I have a lot of Coach bags, and lately they have more with leather lining. They scream Coach to me, but you may not recognize them as such. I also have some higher end bags. Most recently I added Mulberry and Sandro bags to my collection.

I use brand and shape (in my handbags) to help with the perception I need to create on a given day.

As for really it bags if you have more to spend? Loewe (particularly the Puzzle bag), JW Anderson Pierce and Chloe Drew come to mind. And there is always a Chanel Boy Bag.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I am with your friends on this one. I have never understood the concept of spending beaucoup bucks on handbags nor do I ever notice when someone is sporting an expensive and/or "it" handbag.

If it is cute and functional then that is the only thing I notice on someone else. And that is how I purchase/choose my handbags along with being very reasonably priced. And I don't care where I buy it either.
I have always been a fan of bags. And over time I have found value in spending more in 2 ways.

While the relationshop between price and longevity isn't linear, there is a correlation. That was the first reason I upgraded, the more expensive bags saved me from having to replace them.

The second reason? Well your mileage may vary, but I found as a black woman it helps to have a nicer bag. Especially an "appropriate" bag. Handbags convey status, and people tend to assume you are poorer and less educated when you are black and this impacts how you are treated.

So I like to err on the side of nice bag. Especially when I know I will stand out and be perceived as an outsider. And I have seen plenty of validation in my life that it works. So I keep it up. And as I mentioned above - I choose my bags carefully based on the occasion and how I need to be oerceived. I choose certain bags for job interviews - after profiling the company and the interviewers. I use certain bags when shopping at high end places if I have a big ticket item or know I need help. And if I am going to walk around as a tourist, I choose an extra discreet bag that is less recognizable.

And the rest of my bag choosing is related to the outfit and occasion. This doesn't mean I choose things I don't like - but knowing your audience helps.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I have had the same handbags for more than 15 years now, classic, varied colors, the same style bag, will be years more before they are worn out.
I have never made a purchase based on what the alleged fashion experts have said.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have always been a fan of bags. And over time I have found value in spending more in 2 ways.

While the relationshop between price and longevity isn't linear, there is a correlation. That was the first reason I upgraded, the more expensive bags saved me from having to replace them.

The second reason? Well your mileage may vary, but I found as a black woman it helps to have a nicer bag. Especially an "appropriate" bag. Handbags convey status, and people tend to assume you are poorer and less educated when you are black and this impacts how you are treated.

So I like to err on the side of nice bag. Especially when I know I will stand out and be perceived as an outsider. And I have seen plenty of validation in my life that it works. So I keep it up. And as I mentioned above - I choose my bags carefully based on the occasion and how I need to be oerceived. I choose certain bags for job interviews - after profiling the company and the interviewers. I use certain bags when shopping at high end places if I have a big ticket item or know I need help. And if I am going to walk around as a tourist, I choose an extra discreet bag that is less recognizable.

And the rest of my bag choosing is related to the outfit and occasion. This doesn't mean I choose things I don't like - but knowing your audience helps.
Bags, shoes, jewelry. You can be wearing almost anything as long as it's clean, but if you have good shoes, a good bag, and attractive jewelry, people's perceptions are definitely different.

I think it's because these items are seen as "regular wear" whereas an inexpensive pair of pants and a shirt could just mean you are running to the store while taking a break from gardening or something.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
The most expensive bag I own is a Katherine Kwei brown leather fringed shoulder bag. Bought it from one of my sources, orig price was $1400. Its a keeper.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 PM

103 posts, read 76,591 times
Millennials....oh, my word, you guys are really in a tough but amazing spot in our history...with college loans, and rising rents (now that Brooklyn is so chic!)
So, what to do for bags? Tell you what's super chic.... artisan, one of a kinds from the craftsmen and women on Etsy, or in the smaller boutiques. Support each other! Be unique and ditch the old lady handbags, don't fall for the $$$$$$$$ look.

Save that for when you're older and bored. lol.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times
I agree I would never buy a mass produced bag that the designer had about one mins input in.

I also agree with beautiful,artisan,handmade leather handbags from etsy,there are some beautiful ones,go for quality not only in the item, but in the person who makes it.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Coach bags haven't been 'it' bags for 20 years or so.

Probably the best known would be the Birken but the LV Neverfull is also very popular right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty