Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I remember reading several years ago about a woman who would buy cheap new jeans and then take them out into her back yard and shoot them with buckshot. Then she'd sew a custom tag into them sell them in her shop for $500 a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's hilarious but it sounds a little urban legend-y.

More than several years ago, and definitely NOT urban legend...

Buckshot-peppered jeans make mark in fashion world - UPI Archives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
More than several years ago, and definitely NOT urban legend...

Buckshot-peppered jeans make mark in fashion world - UPI Archives
This article does not say the jeans sold for $500. They sold for $70. So, actually, yes. Someone took something he or she had heard and put an urban legend twist on it.

Unless there is more than one designer who did this, and got half a grand per buck-shot jean.

Also, they apparently didn't just shoot a bunch of jeans and sew in a tag. They then proceeded to fade wash/distress them. So at least a bit of work was involved and, whether one approves of the specifics or not, it was a creative venture.

The truth is way too boring for some people.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:20 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Ah... I was referring more to the process than the price tag.

I think these were done with a razor and not buckshot... but they ARE pricy!
http://www.barneys.com/product/saint...fvg2uaNDZtpwAw

Old 09-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ah... I was referring more to the process than the price tag.

I think these were done with a razor and not buckshot... but they ARE pricy!
Saint Laurent Destroyed Skinny Jeans | Barneys New York
They sure are pricey, yep. I don't believe I've met a single person in my life who pays almost $900 for jeans.

However, if you're going very high end you will find beyond the pale pricing for basically any clothing piece or accessory.

You'll also have a limited but probably very high profile clientele.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I keep jeans long enough that they distress themselves.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't expect fashion to be rational. Back when they were invented, as you point out, they kind of made sense. Over the years, they've become "cool" in their own right. The Grunge look in the 90's gave them a boost, and now they have their own momentum.
Agree w/the "don't expect fashion to be rational".

I've NEVER purchased "pre-torn" jeans (but they are called "denim" now) - nor will I ever. I'm just waiting for the skinny leg to go away.

I think the issue is: "they" (as in designers, etc.) have no clue what to do so come up with "the new/old thing". They just want us to be sheeples and buy the latest just to turn around and buy the next thing.

Give me: dark denim/jeans, regular leg and fit (but that would defeat their purpose of trying to sell new over-priced items every year).

Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
A friend does alterations and clothing repairs such as patches...someone brought in a pair of $100 "distressed" jeans she bought for a young granddaughter ...complaining the the already torn hole RIPPED! I would have been on the floor in a fit of laughter! Sure...I would "fix" thise ridiculous jeans. for $20!

I prefer dark jeans...no holes..i like to "earn" the distressed look! Lol!
Mae

Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
This has been a trend for a while, and I must admit I don't get it. A few years back some cargo shorts were offered that were so crumpled up and wrinkled they looked like they had been taken from the bottom of hamper filled with damp towels. When I saw them in stores, I snickered, thinking no one in their right mind would wear them, never mind pay money for them. Same with jeans with holes in them. Seems I was wrong.

To each their own, but I think the whole distressed/damaged/torn/wrinkled trend is ridiculous (and ugly).

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I keep jeans long enough that they distress themselves.
LOL, me too, but in my case it's not coolness or fashion...it is being cheap! LOL!

When I find a pair of jeans that feel like heaven I never want to throw them away. I wear and wash them a million times until they are in the corner begging me to just toss them already.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
...and I am old enough to remember them the first time around, 40 years ago. Actually they made more sense then, what with hippie culture and anti-establishment values.

I am not a fashionable person, I require only that my clothes be clean, no holes, fit me, and something I like.

Can anyone explain why you buy & wear jeans with holes in them?

PS - actually I am so old I have to stop myself from calling them dungarees.
I would find it odd to buy jeans with no holes in them. How would I get in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty