Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:44 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times

Advertisements

In the gym I go to, there are some men that shave their underarms and their chest area. I see it mostly in younger men (guessing 20 to 40 year age groups) and not sure if this is a new fashion thing that's happening all over. Btw, the guys I'm talking about are not competitive swimmers. Some older guys (over 60) just trim their underarms, not shave completely. All of them probably make up about 30% of the ones I see when I'm there.

1. Do you ladies find this attractive? I think some try to look like models.

2. Do you find men with unshaven or trimmed hair in these two areas more or less acceptable?

3. Do you prefer the natural look in men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Trimmed up (for either gender) always looks better.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM

594 posts, read 380,049 times
I waxed my chest once. I liked the way it looked, but I ain't ever doing that again.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I'm okay with it if that's what they want to do. I don't think it's weird-looking or anything, if that's what you're asking, though I typically expect to see at least something in those areas. Some manscaping is usually good, IMO. Full waxing/shaving isn't necessary but it's not a negative either.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I don't care one way or the other as long as a man is well groomed in general. Some men have too much body hair, frankly, and if I had a man in my life that fit that criteria, I'd rather him be smooth as a baby's butt than all hairy.

Most people look better with some, errr, attention to detail when it comes to body hair.

Too much:
http://cf.girlsaskguys.com/q1812410/...3f2ddb3e0e.jpg

Too little:
http://www.stopgrowhair.com/img/proj...air-on-men.jpg

Just right:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ad8cf84d86.jpg

But hey, that's just me.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In the gym I go to, there are some men that shave their underarms and their chest area. I see it mostly in younger men (guessing 20 to 40 year age groups) and not sure if this is a new fashion thing that's happening all over. Btw, the guys I'm talking about are not competitive swimmers. Some older guys (over 60) just trim their underarms, not shave completely. All of them probably make up about 30% of the ones I see when I'm there.

1. Do you ladies find this attractive? I think some try to look like models.

2. Do you find men with unshaven or trimmed hair in these two areas more or less acceptable?

3. Do you prefer the natural look in men?
I clipper down (not shave) my underarms too. I clipper or shave my chest as well.

Frankly, I don't do either routinely enough, but I get to it when I finally get irritated enough looking at it.

My motive is: me. I don't care what women think (nor men).

My underarms in particular I view as decreasing the odor resulting from bacteria growth (and in this relation the more--or longer--hairs bacteria can attach to and reproduce exponentially on) when I keep my hair trimmed lower, rather than looking like I have Buckwheat in a headlock.

Shaving or clippering the scraggly hair on my chest is merely aesthetics for me. I would prefer a chest full of hair, as personal preference, but since I can't grow a chest full of hair but only scraggly hairs all over the place unevenly, and primarily around my nipples, I shave or clipper them off. For myself, not for bimbos or what some jock or nerd thinks anywhere on the planet.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I wouldn't mind if my husband trimmed some hair on his chest and lower back. He likes to wear thin light-colored polo shirts and sometimes hair will poke through. I'll think it's just a hair stuck on the shirt until I try to remove it and realize it's still attached.

But I won't tell him I think it would be more attractive if he trimmed the hair. When I met him, he only had one chest hair and he was sensitive about it. It was pretty cute when his chest hair started to grow in (in his 20's) and less cute when back hair started to grow in too.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Did a little googling, and "manscaping" seems like a bigger thing than I thought. Here's an article from abcnews.

Manscapers Mow More Hair, Even Down There

Manscaping: More Men Shave and Wax Their Bodies - ABC News

Old 09-26-2016, 02:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Did a little googling, and "manscaping" seems like a bigger thing than I thought. Here's an article from abcnews.

Manscapers Mow More Hair, Even Down There

Manscaping: More Men Shave and Wax Their Bodies - ABC News
Manscaping the groin area has been common for 15 or 20 years...not a shave which can irritate the skin but keeping some of the hair trimmed. Manscaping the chest and underarms is a newer trend...the only guys who used to do that were swimmers and bodybuilders.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You can't beat, well groomed, neat, and clean. If you are too hairy, keeping it trimmed up can make it easier to stay clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty