Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For obvious reasons men certainly wouldn't, but I do know women are typically good at noticing details and obviously are usually into fashion and the like in general more, even if they themselves don't spend near as much on such.
Your use of 'obvious/obviously' doesn't work for me, but tempered with "in general" I get. I do know many men who would notice and can tell you the difference, and I can tell you I certainly don't (I'm a woman). I *think* I can "kind of" tell if clothes/shoes/bags are really cheaply made, but I have been wrong even on that. I definitely can't tell the high end stuff or knockoffs immediately. What I think I can tell better is whether something is well-suited to its wearer or whether it's ill-fitting or not complementary to someone's body shape/coloring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure how high-end OP means, but I'm amazed at how many women carry designer purses, myself included. My wife and I like to go to festivals, carnivals, and such, and I'd say at least 2/3 of women carry designer bags, even if they dress casually (usually Coach, Michael Kors, and Kate Spade). I have found that designer purses are much better quality and last longer than the cheap ones. I don't like obnoxious logos, however, and the three designers purse brands I carry (Coach, Treesje, and Botkier,) have barely noticeable logos.
You hit on another really important point... because certain designer bags are so popular they are actually loosing their appeal to higher end customers. For example in my city most women do own several designer bags... and one they get bored with it many donate or re-sale them. So also anyone can afford a Coach, Michael or Kate Spade bag. I kid you not last weekend I got 2 authentic coach bags in great condition for a steal. One retails for $300 ... got it for $20 and the other retails for $150 .. and I got it for $3.50 ! There was another one that was selling for $20... but it is easily a bag that would for $200. There are really so many out there that they are loosing their wow factor. I own a boat load of designer bags now ... but now that everyone has these other ones I have my eyes out for a Fendi, Hermes, Dior, Givenchy or something a big more different. These other brands would still likely cost around a $1000 if they were resale. I like Coach and Michel K bags... but no longer really consider then "high end"... they are just too common. I was on the subway sitting next to this lady likely in her 60s and she had a red fendi bag ( a really really really nice one)... I was drooling. She accidently bumped me with it .... and I was never so happy to be bumped in to ! I could tell by the zipper, stiches, colour, shape and other markings that was a real Fendi bag ( she also go on the train in one of the most expensive shopping areas in the city). My Coach bag ... sitting beside her smoking hot fendi bag was a joke lol. I wish Santa was going to be dropping off one of those babies for me.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Depending on the level of "high end" of your definition, that makes sense. But....don't kid yourself that something needs to cost $1,000 to "last". That's just rationalizing an extravagance. Sure, a $10 or $25 or maybe a $50 purse may be made of poor materials or bad construction....but that said, I've had some pretty cheap purses from 10 years ago that still look fine!

If you must have "nice" things that cost a grand just be honest with yourself - the ROI just doesn't work out - a $1,000 purse will NOT last ten times longer than a $100 one....maybe a $100 will last more than a $10. Better yet, go to a high end reseller and buy used - THAT can be a real bargain if you're willing to look for awhile.
Not to sound snarky.
1,000.00 may be an extravagance to you, but not so much for others. As I stated earlier... expense is subject what can comfortly afford. Add to the fact that I don't go around carrying 1000.00 purses for every day use. I really couldn't care less about a ROI on something Like a designer handbag. I buy the things I like... not necessarily for the utility of the item or as an investment.
I also buy 40.00 purses in the fashion district in DTLA .... it's just a matter of what catches my eye.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:23 PM

645 posts, read 750,967 times
I dont think anyone really gives a **** to be honest....I think some women/men just have it in their head that the more expensive the better. So it is pretty pointless. I use to buy expensive purses but then i realized as i got older i was just wasting money. Now im happy with a $40-100 purse.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I dont think anyone really gives a **** to be honest....I think some women/men just have it in their head that the more expensive the better. So it is pretty pointless. I use to buy expensive purses but then i realized as i got older i was just wasting money. Now im happy with a $40-100 purse.
Or.... they just like the item, but it just happens to come with a price tag. And for some it's no more of an issue for them to buy a 1000.00 bag than it is for you to buy a $40-100 bag.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 PM

Default Wasting money

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I buy low and higher price point items ..used or new. It is about inspiration. If I really really like it I am going to get it. I am really rough with my stuff so Parada to no name it has got to keep up and make a statement. I own the item .... it's does not own me.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Default What men notice ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Your use of 'obvious/obviously' doesn't work for me, but tempered with "in general" I get. I do know many men who would notice and can tell you the difference, and I can tell you I certainly don't (I'm a woman). I *think* I can "kind of" tell if clothes/shoes/bags are really cheaply made, but I have been wrong even on that. I definitely can't tell the high end stuff or knockoffs immediately. What I think I can tell better is whether something is well-suited to its wearer or whether it's ill-fitting or not complementary to someone's body shape/coloring.
The more I read stuff posted by men .... I am not really confident about what they do or don't notice. .. they might all actually be different ... how complicated is that!

Old 12-12-2016, 03:59 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Real life isn't highschool. No one should care if you wear Gucci or Walmart brand
He/she didn't ask whether the person "cares" or not. They asked how does one "recognize" high-end fashion without the label. Stop trying to turn this thread into something it's not.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:15 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I typically only purchase used items. I am carrying a nice Kate Spade "bow" bad in black patent. Purchased for maybe $50 from goodwill.com.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I typically only purchase used items. I am carrying a nice Kate Spade "bow" bad in black patent. Purchased for maybe $50 from goodwill.com.
Great style ... at any cost ! I have got some crazy amazing designer bags at 2nd hand stores. It helps me get more bang for my buck so I can have a larger rotation of bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty