Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 PM

195 posts, read 161,478 times

Advertisements

There is something I am curious about and I am sure it's something you can answer. When it comes to the likes of high-end clothes/purses etc. if a woman has such but it does not have the label on it, can other women tell the difference? Say a woman was walking down the street wearing clothes she spent hundreds on, as well as a purse she spend a few hundred on but there was no visible indication such as a logo showing that it was from a very high-end brand, how likely would it be other women would be able to see a woman wearing such and realize the woman was wearing high-end stuff?

For obvious reasons men certainly wouldn't, but I do know women are typically good at noticing details and obviously are usually into fashion and the like in general more, even if they themselves don't spend near as much on such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Wearing the company logo used to be regarded as declasse. Even now, some people avoid the bags with the logo or initials on them, and go for the advertising-free options by the same manufacturer. I think people who have high-end items as a way of life recognize styling, quality, materials, that finer purveyors use.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Assuming the clothes fit and the bag looked right, then yes. But what really tells me that a woman has money is her ring(s).

But yes, fine clothes and an expensive bag look expensive, with or without logos.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Some things, if you look closely enough, you can detect noticeable quality levels in the materials and craftsmanship.

But, I'm seldom looking that closely.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I don't need labels to see when an article of clothing is high end. I can tell from the quality of the fabric and the construction.

High-end clothing is usually made from natural fibers such as wool, cotton, and silk. But not just any natural fibers, but the higher quality ones that are very thick, soft and heavy. This heaviness makes them drape well and have very little wrinkling.

The stitching is always very straight and even. Hems are always deeper, have invisible stitching, are very straight, clean, and look heavy and substantial. The design details have a very neat and clean finish. If the item is a print, the patterns are always carefully matched up at the seams and in areas of overlap, giving a look of continuity and neatness. The proportions are generous, in that sleeves, pant legs, and hemlines are a bit longer as if made for tall people; cuffs and collars are usually deeper. Buttons are usually larger, may have detailing or a logo etched into them, and look expensive. Zippers lie very flat and are practically invisible--unless the zipper is a style element. Pockets, too, are always very flat. Overall, the construction looks very solid. Such garments do not cling, bag, or pucker inappropriately.

Finally, the silhouette is always very smooth and flattering.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
There is something I am curious about and I am sure it's something you can answer. When it comes to the likes of high-end clothes/purses etc. if a woman has such but it does not have the label on it, can other women tell the difference? Say a woman was walking down the street wearing clothes she spent hundreds on, as well as a purse she spend a few hundred on but there was no visible indication such as a logo showing that it was from a very high-end brand, how likely would it be other women would be able to see a woman wearing such and realize the woman was wearing high-end stuff?

For obvious reasons men certainly wouldn't, but I do know women are typically good at noticing details and obviously are usually into fashion and the like in general more, even if they themselves don't spend near as much on such.
It depends. There are certain high end things that don't need a label to be recognized. On the other hand their are things that are expensive but are not well made and do not have high end construction so they are interchangeable from the cheaper versions. The converse is true as well, some cheaper stuff is well made.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:58 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Real life isn't highschool. No one should care if you wear Gucci or Walmart brand

Old 12-10-2016, 03:45 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I don't need labels to see when an article of clothing is high end. I can tell from the quality of the fabric and the construction.

High-end clothing is usually made from natural fibers such as wool, cotton, and silk. But not just any natural fibers, but the higher quality ones that are very thick, soft and heavy. This heaviness makes them drape well and have very little wrinkling.

The stitching is always very straight and even. Hems are always deeper, have invisible stitching, are very straight, clean, and look heavy and substantial. The design details have a very neat and clean finish. If the item is a print, the patterns are always carefully matched up at the seams and in areas of overlap, giving a look of continuity and neatness. The proportions are generous, in that sleeves, pant legs, and hemlines are a bit longer as if made for tall people; cuffs and collars are usually deeper. Buttons are usually larger, may have detailing or a logo etched into them, and look expensive. Zippers lie very flat and are practically invisible--unless the zipper is a style element. Pockets, too, are always very flat. Overall, the construction looks very solid. Such garments do not cling, bag, or pucker inappropriately.

Finally, the silhouette is always very smooth and flattering.
Wow, you can pick all that up when a woman walks past on the street? (as the question goes in the OP's post)

I could really care less about high fashion. Logos and names mean nothing to me. Not bragging, but I could well afford some but I go for comfort along with nice fitting clothes that flatter my figure, rather than wear expensive clothes just because I can.

My SIL and BIL are very rich and we went out for supper with them last week. She had on these huge dangly, sparkly earrings that I'm sure were diamonds, but so what? They could have been fake and I wouldn't have known the difference unless I inspected them under a jeweler's eye thingy.
I'm sure her clothes were name brand but I couldn't even tell you what colour they were, never mind if she wore a dress or a pant suit... So really, who cares?

I'm guessing that women who dress and wear jewelry like she does are the only ones who care because they are mentally comparing notes and that's about it.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I don't think the OP is being a snob. Just asking and yes I can tell the difference between a Wal-Mart blouse and a Lord & Taylor one. My grandmother was a seamstress in a fine store in NYC. She taught us the difference between good quality and crappy quality.

If I only had $100 to spend at the store I would rather buy a good quality wardrobe staple like a pair of black pants or a black skirt than five different cheap items from a place like Old Navy.

Sometimes I luck out and find a good quality Ralph Lauren or similar at T.J. Maxx which is always fun.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:03 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Wow, you can pick all that up when a woman walks past on the street? (as the question goes in the OP's post)
Yes. When you know what to look for, a quick once-over is all that's needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty