Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not I've never faced this issue so I don't know the answer......

I have to wear uniform pants that are NOT wrinkled.

On a regular hanger if you leave pants folded over on a hanger you'll get that crease across the middle of the pants....BUT...

...the dry cleaner folds the pants over a hanger that has cardboard folded over the cross brace......when I take them home I notice that seems to keep the pants from getting that crease across the middle.

So does that mean I can LEAVE the pants on that hanger for weeks and three still will be no crease......or I should rehang them unfolded on a pants hanger.??

What I have been doing is taking the pants OFF that hanger and re-hanging them on a pants hanger, with the cuff clipped at the top and the waist/hips part of the pants hanging down, so the weight of the heavier part of the pants -- so that gravity lesses of eliminated and fold or crease there might be.

Some pants I won't wear for 2 or three weeks can I leave them folded on the dry cleaner's hanger that long, and there still won't be a crease across the middle?

I don't want to keep re-hanging them IF I don't absolutely have to....but I will if they'll eventually crease in the middle.

Thanks....

Oh, also how stiff does starch makes uniform shirts. Does it make a shirt really look a lot more crisp -- or not really?

I haven't been getting starch but I was thinking of trying it.
Im NOT in the military, but would you say most military uniforms or corporate execs you see on TV that clean and crisp and look like their in a 1,000 dollar suit. shirt/tie......are their shirts starched.

So...to starch or not starch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 06:00 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
The men in my life have always kept their pants folded over the hanger in the middle of the leg, basically, and have never had creases there.

I've never even seen any hanger that clamps the cuffs and dangles the rest of the pants upside down.

Try it with one pair of pants and see.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I've never even seen any hanger that clamps the cuffs and dangles the rest of the pants upside down.
It's the hanger with two clips on the cross bar........

They're called pants (or skirt) hangers and are.....for hanging pants, or skirts.

You CAN hang the pants waist band side up. You've never seen pants on pant hangers in a store?
I just hang MY pants, cuffs up, waist down.

Also, thinking about getting a steamer! You have any experience with steaming wrinkles out??

Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I too was taught to hang my pants cuffs up, waist down. It really does help keep them wrinkle free. Personally I always remove dry cleaned items from their plastic bags and cleaner hangers.
A light starch can help keep a shirt crisp, but some people may find it too scratchy.
Never used a streamer, but if you get one make sure to spend the money for a good one. A friend bought one that just sputtered hot water on the items and never got hot enough to produce steam.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Thanks. I went just now and took them off the dry cleaner's hanger with the cardboard cross the top of the wire cross-brace.

Now, if someone eventually tells me -- "Oh, no. You can leave them folded on that kind of hanger for a year, and there still won't be a crease across them" -- THEN I'll reconsider. But until then, I'll rehang them on a pants hanger.

And I'll keep thinking about getting a steamer -- a GOOD one.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:00 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I worked at the dry cleaner for a while. First, take the plastic off, or better yet, take them home without it. The chemicals are trapped in there and will dissipate with it off.

Pants hangers have that cardboard thing to keep the pants from having a crease in the middle and that bit of cardboard has a mildly "tacky" feeling to keep the pants from slipping, too. There are two kinds, one is like a tube over the cross bar and the other is like a piece of cardboard that just goes over the top of the crossbar. If your closet is not crowded and you have the tube, you can leave them for weeks and not get a crease. If you have the little cardboard over the top, you have to leave one and see how it holds up. If your closet is packed tight, a crease is the least of your worries.

The hangers you're using are fine, but the kind with the two clips can, over time, leave two marks, either just by crushing those two spots or if they're rubber or whatever. Pants with cuffs and therefore more layers are prone to the crush marks. It depends on how long they're hanging in the clips. My grandfather had pants hangers (and I might have some unused ones in the closet) that had two wooden bars that held the hem all the way across, ergo no clip marks. Some had a bit of rubber to prevent slipping, but they're still not great for cuffs.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:58 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Thicker hangers don't leave creases. You know those wooden hangers? They are thicker. They shouldn't crease pants, no matter how long the pants are on them. But there are thick plastic hangers, too. (Ikea sells a set of wooden hangers at a great price, I read.)

I don't use dry cleaners, any more, so I can't say what I'd do these days.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:24 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I am a woman, but I do have dress pants that I get dry cleaned. Yes, I always leave them on the dry cleaner's hangar (the one with the cardboard tube across the bottom of the hangar. It keeps them from getting a horizontal crease across the leg.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Pants do not get creases if hung on the dry cleaner's hangers with the cardboard tube.

Heavy starch withstands wrinkling the best. That's what is used to get the crisp look that you see on the shirts of men on TV or very well-dressed men. Heavy starch is best for anything you want to look professionally pressed.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Pants do not get creases if hung on the dry cleaner's hangers with the cardboard tube.

Heavy starch withstands wrinkling the best. That's what is used to get the crisp look that you see on the shirts of men on TV or very well-dressed men. Heavy starch is best for anything you want to look professionally pressed.
But not on wool dress slacks/pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty