Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times

Advertisements

I'm 71 and, although I'm not a fanatic about my looks, I am a fanatic about my foundation. Over the past 50+ years, I've probably bought almost every foundation on the market. I have oily skin (still, at my age) and cant stand to wear foundation that I can feel on my skin but I do like some coverage. It's hard to find a liquid foundation that covers but isnt so heavy that people see it instead of your skin.

A couple of years ago I bought L'Oreal Paris Magic Nude Liquid Powder Bare Skin Perfecting Makeup. OMG, it's the best foundation I've ever tried. It really does feel like I'm wearing no makeup at all, yet it gives me a nice matte look and it seems to last for at least 8-10 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...fecting+Makeup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Why do some people have to get snarky for no reason? I wasn't passing judgment on anyone because of what they spend on foundation. I just said it was a little pricey for me.
No you said it was pricey for "many people".

Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM

FIRST, I read the book Skin Type Solution. Dr. Baumann

https://smile.amazon.com/Skin-Type-S...+solution+book

Life changing.

It was a really long time ago. maybe the early 90s?

I found all the crap they were marketing bothered my skin and the less I did, the better. I swear I must have had every thing Shisheido made during one phase LOL. I totally remember it because of how cute the little bottles with the turquoise caps looked all lined up.

Yeah trial and error. NEVER could wear Clinique and the other earlier popular brands.

I worked in downtown Philly in the middle of a bunch of dept stores with the extravagant makeup counters so we ALWAYS went there to waste money!

Sure enough, after spending hundreds of dollars if not thousands, the book confirmed that less is better thing for my skin type. I didn't have skin problems but kept using stuff that itched, or dried out, or whatever.

You take a little survey, it classifies your skin as a certain "type" and then tells you which type of products are best and which are to be avoided.

THEN the book tells you lists of Brand name products. In all price ranges.

So funny, it told me PONDS for cleaning and sure enough it was right. Since then they've changed the formula though!

It said no foaming cleansers. Totally right. And a lot of other stuff. Like NO exfoliating, NO toners, types of sunscreen ingredients....etc. Tells you what to do for rosacea, for example, also.

NOW I use only an oil for cleansing. And moisturizer/serum. OCCASIONALLY I'll use Magic Pads which I learned about from a Drag Queen. But she wears A LOT MORE makeup than me.

As far as makeup goes, well...my mother always took care of her skin so I also got to try her stuff out to test out the book's theory and realized which didn't work. Like the oil based Borghese she used. Kinda obvious with the age difference but you never know till you try it.

Now, I always HATED foundation and only ever wore it for nighttime or special occasions eventually. So I went with Dermablend (ironically) for covering my freckles/spots very lightly then Bare Essentials for the actual foundation and blush. I've made the perfect skin tone color match by combining a couple different Dermablends so I don't need it on my whole face. That would drive me nutty.

Daily I went with tinted moisturizer and have been using that for years.

I also think foundation ages your appearance, FWIW. It also bothers me and makes me want to wash my face ASAP!

And I can't STAND any fragrance on my face either which ruled out alot of them.

To be fair, I did find alot of favorites over the years like Channel for eyes and lips, maybe blush...and other makeup but the foundation I just can't get down with.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM

BTW yeah, I jumped on that Sarah Palin lipstick bandwagon so fast! (Chanel Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in Giggle)

I still have some!

But for everyday I LOVE using a matte stain in my own natural lip color.

This one: Revlon Just Bitten

I live in FL so a lot of my choices have to do with working often outside or being in my car all day in 95 degree weather and daily rain!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-05-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I trust Allure's best of beauty so I use Dior.
I use Dior also.

I'm a mature African American women and ironically Dior has some of the best blends around. Now I will say I don't have "trouble" facial skin (as in it's pretty routine. not oily or dry) so I don't have those issues .

I also like Dior because of the texture.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:06 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I must have at least 5 different foundations and I don't love any of them. The search continues....

Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 AM

Forgot to say Makeup Alley website message boards have a lot of good anecdotal information to decide what to try or not.

And another thing I learned from the Drag Queen was about using Prep H and Monistat Chafing-Relief Powder-Gel before the rest of the female world discovered it and before primers became popular and even AFTER, because it works better and doesn't have the silicone.

Disclaimer: Test them first in case it doesn't agree with your skin.

Sometimes what's UNDER the foundation counts towards the success of the foundation.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:45 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I use Coverage Foundation by The Ordinary or Born This Way by Too Faced.

Both are cruelty free, but The Ordinary brand is only $7. It's the best cheaper foundation I've ever used.

Both had good reviews and I already knew I loved the Too Faced brand.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Forgot to say Makeup Alley website message boards have a lot of good anecdotal information to decide what to try or not.

And another thing I learned from the Drag Queen was about using Prep H and Monistat Chafing-Relief Powder-Gel before the rest of the female world discovered it and before primers became popular and even AFTER, because it works better and doesn't have the silicone.

Disclaimer: Test them first in case it doesn't agree with your skin.

Sometimes what's UNDER the foundation counts towards the success of the foundation.
The Monistat is loaded with dimethicone, which is a silicone. It's basically a big tube of various silicones.

I have used Monistat in the past when I was on a budget, but it's not my favorite. It'll do in a pinch, but there are other primers I like better. (Today is the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, which is crazy expensive, but I bought the small travel size, and it's lasting a long time because you use so little. My day-to-day primer is Touch in Sol's No Poreblem)

Last edited by hertfordshire; 02-06-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I'm using Revlon Colorstay 24 hour whipped that I found thru a blogpost linked on CD somewhere, where a mature women test-drove a bunch of different foundations and this was her winner. it's getting a bit harder to find, so I hope they aren't discontinuing the formula. I have normal skin that can be a bit dry over the cheeks in the winter. The foundation stays on well and doesn't get cakey or settle into lines, but I do find it goes a wee bit orange-y by 8:00 at night when I go to wash it off, but not horribly so. I wear the light ivory color.

I use Revlon's Colorstay as well. I have for years. I like it because it blends well, and it stays put, except maybe in extreme conditions. (Like...it couldn't stand up to Louisiana's heat and humidity, when we were there on vacation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty