Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

These pants used to be called "high waters" back in the day. Now they're popular! What gives?

I admit that as a taller than average woman, I never cared for pants that exposed ankles unless they are capris. I remember wearing ankle length pants as a child (because they didn't make pants that were long enough for tall kids) and was mercilessly ridiculed by some of my fellow classmates.

It's always been a challenge finding pants that go past the ankle and now even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

...... It's always been a challenge finding pants that go past the ankle and now even more so.

I have one leg a tiny bit shorter than the other, it isn't noticeable except for where the pants hemline has to come to. So I buy pants that are longer in the legs than I need and then hem them to my legs' correct measurements so on each leg the front touches the top of my instep and towards the back it slants down enough to cover the upper half of the heel. Full ankle coverage.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I left long pants except in the coldest part of winter years ago. Give me the Capri's so I like the new pants being shorter. I hate walking on my pants and getting them wet when it rains.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Hate 'em.

Also taller than average, so residual highwater baggage may be a factor.

Either long length, or commit to an actual real capri length. Overall, the slight crop look walks too fine a line of just looking ill-fitting, to me.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
These pants used to be called "high waters" back in the day. Now they're popular! What gives?

I admit that as a taller than average woman, I never cared for pants that exposed ankles unless they are capris. I remember wearing ankle length pants as a child (because they didn't make pants that were long enough for tall kids) and was mercilessly ridiculed by some of my fellow classmates.

It's always been a challenge finding pants that go past the ankle and now even more so.
I don't like them, either, but the fashion industry pushes them, creating a "phenom" out of them, as they do with everything they come up with. It's only about coming up with "new" trends (or recycled old ones, from 30 years ago, or whenever), because they think that's what they need to do, to keep people buying stuff.

Ignore.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
It depends on the pant for me. In a skinny jean or a legging it is fine for an option in the rotation. But otherwise it looks awkward.

My problem is I have long legs/short torso so many ankle pants are above the ankle for me and just look stupid.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
I have a great pair of Anne Klein ankle pants. I feel as beautiful as Mary Tyler Moore when I wear them.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
They look wonderful with beautiful shoe. But I rarely wear fancy shoes & my everyday wear ladies to suit ankle length & I am not allowed to wear shoe that exposes skin at work for safety purpose so there goes fancy shoes

Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
They look wonderful with beautiful shoe. But I rarely wear fancy shoes & my everyday wear ladies to suit ankle length & I am not allowed to wear shoe that exposes skin at work for safety purpose so there goes fancy shoes
Yes, they really showcase a beautiful pair of shoes, especially flats, I wouldn't think of wearing high heels though, but a taller woman could probably carry it off nicely but still flats or semi-flats look nice especially the flat shoes with ankle straps.. Ankle length sometimes can make legs look shorter.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't like them, either, but the fashion industry pushes them, creating a "phenom" out of them, as they do with everything they come up with. It's only about coming up with "new" trends (or recycled old ones, from 30 years ago, or whenever), because they think that's what they need to do, to keep people buying stuff.

Ignore.
This is a fashion that was popular in the 1950s and 1960s, I saw pictures of my mother wearing them in the 1960s. Fashion does come full circle. Wished she would have saved them, but it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be able to fit them, she used to have a 22 inch waist. I think people were a lot smaller then even with all the full fat food they ate. It was meat and potatoes back then. Now, we eat healthier foods but we are bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty