Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of beauty, skin, hair products are made by an upscale manufacturer (label) but the same formula or one nearly like it is also produced by a less expensive brand.

For ex, when I was in Europe I was told that Lancome products are made in some of the same labs w/ L'Oreal (and I guess they are both owned by the same company) . . . and the formula are the same or nearly the same for some of the items in both lines - but L'Oreal is cheaper.

So I am wondering . . . what products have you found that seem to be as good as the more expensive ones?

For example - a L'Oreal mascara that is as good as the Lancome mascara; or a hair shampoo by a big brand name that is about the same as a less expensive one.

Share your tips!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM

187 posts, read 614,096 times
Default similar products

While I was shopping at Kohls the lady at the makeup counter told me it is made by Este Lauder, its just under a different name because its cheaper.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,368 times
I always buy the store brand of little things like face moisturizer, aspirin, etc. Just read the label, the ingredients are the same, the price is just 30% less. It's a great way to be thrifty if you don't care that your moistuizer bottle says "Target" instead of "Oil of Olay."

Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 AM

38 posts, read 138,035 times
Here is how it breaks down. Most companies start off with salon quality products. The they mass producase with cheaper ingreadeince (this makes the less affective and more damaging). Loriel is definatly a major culpret. I would never use lorel products on my head but I love purology which is made by them and is about 40 bucks for a not so large bottle. The also make profesional color in addition to thier unprofessional lines and my (upscale) salon even uses thier platinium line for boliadge. Theese companies simotaniously Sc**w over the loyal stylists and rip off the american consumer and it is criminal.

Hope it helps
-Nick Hood

Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
While I was shopping at Kohls the lady at the makeup counter told me it is made by Este Lauder, its just under a different name because its cheaper.
What brand is it that is made by Estee Lauder? I didn't understand what brand you meant.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
I always buy the store brand of little things like face moisturizer, aspirin, etc. Just read the label, the ingredients are the same, the price is just 30% less. It's a great way to be thrifty if you don't care that your moistuizer bottle says "Target" instead of "Oil of Olay."
I use store brands too - also check the ingredients as you said.

I was told that Trader Joe's has shampoo that is the same as Matrix but a lot cheaper.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
Here is how it breaks down. Most companies start off with salon quality products. The they mass producase with cheaper ingreadeince (this makes the less affective and more damaging). Loriel is definatly a major culpret. I would never use lorel products on my head but I love purology which is made by them and is about 40 bucks for a not so large bottle. The also make profesional color in addition to thier unprofessional lines and my (upscale) salon even uses thier platinium line for boliadge. Theese companies simotaniously Sc**w over the loyal stylists and rip off the american consumer and it is criminal.

Hope it helps
-Nick Hood
What are you saying, Nick? That you think L'oreal preference and excellence are inferior hair color? What about the stuff that is sold at Sally Beauty - that you mix yourself?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I can't say for certain that I have bought L'Oreal lipstick, but I can say that I have bought many brands of drugstore lipstick over the years, and I find them all horrid. Waxy feeling and often strange smelling.

I use drugstore makeup like Almay for everything else, but lipstick I always go department store. I think you get what you pay for with lipstick.

As for hair products, I like cheap shampoo (Suave Daily Clarifying) but I can really tell the difference when I don't buy expensive conditioner. When you have thick hair like mine, it matters.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:30 AM

883 posts, read 3,720,534 times
Interesting topic...L'Oreal Vive makes a smooting serum that is IDENTICAL to one by Kerastase. I'm not kidding...same scent, similar packaging, etc. Not surprisingly, Kerastase is made by L'Oreal.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,202 times
Default Lipstick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I can't say for certain that I have bought L'Oreal lipstick, but I can say that I have bought many brands of drugstore lipstick over the years, and I find them all horrid. Waxy feeling and often strange smelling.
I agree with you on the lipstick! The drugstore varieties, even the more expensive Revlons, Cover Girls, and L'Oreal all have a waxy taste that I just can't tolerate. The department store lipsticks have a different texture to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty