Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how many people here have experience with the European fashion market, but I was wondering, why are there so few mid-range fashion brands in Europe in comparison with the United States? In Europe there seems to mostly be a major gap between the fast fashion segment and the premium segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I think it is because here, most of the stuff is made in China and mass produced. In Europe, they make it there and take pride in the quality.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think it is because here, most of the stuff is made in China and mass produced. In Europe, they make it there and take pride in the quality.
Europe is full of fast fashion brands such as H&M, but has few mid-range brands.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM

189 posts, read 166,148 times
How are you defining these different levels of brands? We have spent plenty of time in various European cities and I am a shop-a-holic. I love finding new clothing brands and have found them at all price points from Gap to JCrew to Tory Burch to Chanel. If mid-range is JCrew pricing then there are lots of brand stores and independent boutiques that carry clothing at a similar price point.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
How are you defining these different levels of brands? We have spent plenty of time in various European cities and I am a shop-a-holic. I love finding new clothing brands and have found them at all price points from Gap to JCrew to Tory Burch to Chanel. If mid-range is JCrew pricing then there are lots of brand stores and independent boutiques that carry clothing at a similar price point.
Well, one American brand (IZOD) is expanding to Europe this fall, and they did claim they wanted to fill the gap between fast fashion and premium brands. I consider IZOD mid-range, since it is generally priced above some fast fashion labels and below higher end brands.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
There is a reason our UK family loads up (and I mean LOADS UP) on clothes and shoes while visiting here.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'm not sure how many people here have experience with the European fashion market, but I was wondering, why are there so few mid-range fashion brands in Europe in comparison with the United States? In Europe there seems to mostly be a major gap between the fast fashion segment and the premium segment.
I lived in Europe for several years, Pink. They have exactly the same brands we do just at much higher prices.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Europe is full of fast fashion brands such as H&M, but has few mid-range brands.
Would Marks & Spencer be considered a mid-range brand?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Would Marks & Spencer be considered a mid-range brand?
I'm not too familiar with them, but looking at their prices, it seems like some of their products are more semi-premium. Mid-range are brands such as IZOD and Chaps.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 PM

189 posts, read 166,148 times
Marks & Spencer is not a brand, it’s a store. It carries many brands, including their own store brand. I’d equate it to Macy’s.

There is such a range of price points for clothes it’s impossible to put then in 3 or 4 categories. Take the humble polo shirt, which you seem to favor. You can find them for $10 at Target and $30 at Gap. Are these the same price point? The Gap shirt is three times the price. Or are they both low end?

J Crew/Banana Republic polos are more like $40-50. Does this make them mid range? Well, a Vineyard Vines runs about $80 and a LaCoste over $100. Are these high end? If so, how do you classify the $250 Burberry polo? And where does that leave the $400 Versace...and $900 Gucci?

Then there’s the issue of comparing European versus American pricing. As noted above, clothing in general is more expensive in Europe. Especially iconic and trendy American brands..eg Levi’s and Nike, respectively. But I can assure you that clothing is available at a range of price points in Europe. You might not know the brands, but they exist.

Finally, price is personal. What’s cheap to you may be expensive to someone else. The maximum someone is willing or able to pay for an item is the definition of “premium” to that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty