Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times

Advertisements

I wonder, while some brands may be almost dead in the United States, could anyone name examples that are still somewhat popular in other parts of the world?

I am in Puerto Rico and have been surprised by the number of people wearing Nautica which is nearly a dead brand in the mainland United States. Has anyone had similar experiences with certain brands while traveling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,537 times
I can't say that I have any interest in what people are wearing in foreign countries, except when they are wearing their native costumes. Then I'm interested.

Why travel to different places, just to look at what American shirts people are wearing? You can go to your local mall for that.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Other countries have high prices associated with imports of American brands. I was on here once and a guy from Europe stated that Polo Ralph Lauren was at least twice as expensive so people just buy it second hand.

For what it's worth they wear everything over in Africa because they get our undesirable second hand stuff in bulk for free through our charities. It is cheaper than if they produced their own clothing. That may be the case more so in rural areas though.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wonder, while some brands may be almost dead in the United States, could anyone name examples that are still somewhat popular in other parts of the world?

I am in Puerto Rico and have been surprised by the number of people wearing Nautica which is nearly a dead brand in the mainland United States. Has anyone had similar experiences with certain brands while traveling?
There is a nineties resurgence of Nautica. One of our mumble rappers is a brand ambassador for that company. He probably makes more money doing that he does with his music. So you're likely to see younger people wearing it.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There is a nineties resurgence of Nautica. One of our mumble rappers is a brand ambassador for that company. He probably makes more money doing that he does with his music. So you're likely to see younger people wearing it.
Considering that VF sold the brand to Authentic Brands Group last year doesn't seem to indicate the brand is doing very well. ABG is known for being a "brand hospital", a company known for buying insolvent brands in effort to revitalize them. Lets see if ABG will have any success.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Considering that VF sold the brand to Authentic Brands Group last year doesn't seem to indicate the brand is doing very well. ABG is known for being a "brand hospital", a company known for buying insolvent brands in effort to revitalize them. Lets see if ABG will have any success.
Nautica sucked then and it sucks now. Like I said before, the only differentiator for Nautica is that they're basic. It is overpriced for what you get. I'll pay $20 for their stuff but that's about it.

I get what you're saying, on the business and marketing side. I'm just saying that on the street Nautica was a thought. A New York minute. Once PRL and Tommy picked up steam people forgot all about it. I wish them the best.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM

In fact, there is a store chain in Puerto Rico that sells a lot of Nautica (El Gran Via) along with Lacoste and Vineyard Vines, with a small number of products from IZOD and U.S. Polo Assn.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Nautica sucked then and it sucks now. Like I said before, the only differentiator for Nautica is that they're basic. It is overpriced for what you get. I'll pay $20 for their stuff but that's about it.

I get what you're saying, on the business and marketing side. I'm just saying that on the street Nautica was a thought. A New York minute. Once PRL and Tommy picked up steam people forgot all about it. I wish them the best.
I have a Nautica jacket that I bought 8 years ago and it is still as good as new. The best buy that I have done in Costco $26.99

Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
I have a Nautica jacket that I bought 8 years ago and it is still as good as new. The best buy that I have done in Costco $26.99
Hate to break it to you, but remember that many fashion products at Costco are specifically designed to be sold at warehouse clubs and are not the same as those sold in department stores.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
You're talking about the quality. I'm talking about the design. But to each their own their maritime jackets were original back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty