Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I know tropical and nautical themes have been a trend since Spring/Summer 2017 (with this year being a high point), but another trend that has appeared to have been running concurrently each spring/summer is the Americana trend. Has anyone else been noticing this? Typically such styles are introduced in the second half of the spring/summer selling season before Memorial Day. I wonder how long will this trend last and whether or not it will outlast the tropical/nautical trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
What are "Americana" fashions? Could you link some examples?

It seems like nautical styles always appear at least briefly, every summer. They seem to be a kind of staple item.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are "Americana" fashions? Could you link some examples?

It seems like nautical styles always appear at least briefly, every summer. They seem to be a kind of staple item.

I'm thinking Americana would be patriotic themes, stars and stripes, red white and blue kind of thing?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I know tropical and nautical themes have been a trend since Spring/Summer 2017 (with this year being a high point), but another trend that has appeared to have been running concurrently each spring/summer is the Americana trend. Has anyone else been noticing this? Typically such styles are introduced in the second half of the spring/summer selling season before Memorial Day. I wonder how long will this trend last and whether or not it will outlast the tropical/nautical trend.
I don't think either of those things are something that has become trendy only in the last few years. Tropical/beachy clothing has been popular in the summer, and patriotic clothing has also been popular around the 4th of July for a long time. I don't even think I would call it trendy, it's just something you can expect in US stores each summer.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Yep. Americana happens every year around this time.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm thinking Americana would be patriotic themes, stars and stripes, red white and blue kind of thing?
I was wondering, because there's that brand, "Americana Manhasset", which seems to be a preppie-style brand.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Did you know if conflicts with flag etiquette, to wear clothing with the American flag on it?

I never knew this up until a few years ago, I wore a Polo Ralph Lauren shirt that had a small American flag on it under the POLO R.L. logo, and a co worker who was a vet called me out on it. I thought he was joking at first, but I honestly had never heard of such a thing, I made it a point to never wear that shirt again in public.

Its kind of strange, but because once I knew this was a thing, I started seeing clothing with the flag on it, being worn by people left and right, I guess they are just not aware, like I was and until someone confronts them about it, they will go on thinking its ok.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
meh, flag etiquette isn't that big a deal to me. Technically yes, lots of things people do go against the flag code. But in reality, does anyone really care except someone who is extra into the flag code? I think a lot more people are aware than you realize, but most just don't care.

Personally, I don't wear the flag because it's just not in my style. But, is it really a big deal if someone is wearing a pair of american flag swim trunks to the pool on the 4th of July? Not to me. There are a lot more important issues in the country than not sticking to the flag code.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:50 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
meh, flag etiquette isn't that big a deal to me. Technically yes, lots of things people do go against the flag code. But in reality, does anyone really care except someone who is extra into the flag code? I think a lot more people are aware than you realize, but most just don't care.
Yes, in reality, plenty of people do care about the Flag Code and appropriate flag etiquette, even if they aren't "extra into the flag code."

Old 07-01-2019, 03:55 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes, in reality, plenty of people do care about the Flag Code and appropriate flag etiquette, even if they aren't "extra into the flag code."
I understand that certain people have strong opinions on this, so I meant no offense. But personally, it's just one of those things that doesn't have a lot of weight to me. I respect the tradition of other people feeling strongly about that. It's an etiquette law that's only a law because someone decided it was the reverent thing to do. And that's fine, but it's not a law intended to keep people safe. I think an individual is either going to find meaning in a reproduced version of our country's flag or they're not. Personally, I find it hard to get offended by someone wearing a replica of the flag, despite the fact that someone once put it in writing that you're not supposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty