Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washing and/or Professionally Cleaning new, "expensive" clothes b/c of Pandemic?
NO 22 68.75%
YES 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times

Advertisements

And yes "Expensive" is relative, but I'm talking clothing that's at a price point of mid to upper hundreds and above ... or... whatever "expensive" means to you.

...some folks don't want to wash and/or professionally clean new, expensive clothes especially before the first wear because it can compromise the "newness" of them.

What are y'all doing regarding this? Wash/Clean or no wash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:04 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
There was a time I was spraying disinfectant on the mail when I brought it in the house, and then washing my hands under hot water for 20 seconds. I don't do that anymore.

The only new items of clothing I wash before wearing are jeans...simply because I don't want blue dye getting on other clothes in the wash. That's about it, for me.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
From what I've read, COVID virus survives maybe 3 days on fabrics (yes, there have been outliers in the data but that's the general consensus). So I'd just leave it sit for 4 days and declare victory.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:22 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Unless you fought over the item with someone during a sale or tore it off their back in the store, the chance there is viable virus on newly purchased clothing is close to nil. Hang it in a closet for a few days. How expensive it was has nothing to do with anything.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
I haven’t been washing most of what I buy, unless it is a situation like something I’ve gotten at Costco where hundreds of people are literally digging through the piles to find the size they want. Otherwise, I just let it sit several days before I wear it.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Unless you fought over the item with someone during a sale or tore it off their back in the store, the chance there is viable virus on newly purchased clothing is close to nil. Hang it in a closet for a few days. How expensive it was has nothing to do with anything.

The expensive component was more about how some people really balk at washing or cleaning pricier items to preserve its "newness" since it costs so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I haven’t been washing most of what I buy, unless it is a situation like something I’ve gotten at Costco where hundreds of people are literally digging through the piles to find the size they want. Otherwise, I just let it sit several days before I wear it.

That makes sense.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:42 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
From what I've read, COVID virus survives maybe 3 days on fabrics (yes, there have been outliers in the data but that's the general consensus). So I'd just leave it sit for 4 days and declare victory.

I agree, but heck have it dry cleaned if it gives you peace of mind. I still might too!

Old 01-07-2021, 05:17 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Nothing to do w/the current Corona virus but I have ALWAYS washed clothes before wearing. I don't buy outrageously over-priced clothing. I didn't dry-clean coats when I bought them but haven't purchased one in years as they last for a long time. If you would see what happens in stockrooms, etc. - WASH your clothes before wearing (if for no other reason, lots of chemicals, etc. in use in the manufacturing).

Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 PM

24,589 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Covid or no COVID - where has that "price point" been before you bought? Shudder!

Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Nothing to do w/the current Corona virus but I have ALWAYS washed clothes before wearing. I don't buy outrageously over-priced clothing. I didn't dry-clean coats when I bought them but haven't purchased one in years as they last for a long time. If you would see what happens in stockrooms, etc. - WASH your clothes before wearing (if for no other reason, lots of chemicals, etc. in use in the manufacturing).
Same.

I learned that a long time ago, it's always recommended to wash "new" clothing before wearing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty