Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:12 AM

327 posts, read 211,294 times

Advertisements

Someone explain the appeal of buying jeans with rips and holes in them especially at a higher price then regular jeans. I just don’t get it. In fact my sister and one of her friends did an experiment. They bought ten pairs of cheap Walmart jeans and modified them to look like those higher end pants with holes and tried to sell them. They even ripped out the tags and installed made up ones. At a city wide clothing sale they laid them out to advertise their fake brand and they successfully sold all of them almost three times the cost they bought them for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 AM

539 posts, read 241,090 times
Yeah I dont get that either because to me it looks like white trash . Im sorry but that is the only term I can think of right now .

Old 08-29-2021, 08:25 AM

374 posts, read 257,132 times
I can understand the appeal of faded/worn jeans, frayed ends, and even a few small holes or tears here and there, but I never could understand the appeal of the ones that have the knees completely ripped open or half the front completely missing. Whatever floats their boat I suppose.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:30 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Fashion choices are unique to the individual but once you hit a certain age (I'd say around 30) you should know when a fad is attractive and becoming to the wearer or if it's a fad just for fad's sake. The ripped jeans are the latter (IMHO.) I know the term "sheeple" is usually used in the political sense, but when I see these ripped jeans being worn by any adult I can't help but think of the word "sheeple."

Younger people get a pass on bad fashion choices. They're still finding their way and peer pressure is much more important to them than showing individuality in their fashion choices.

Last edited by rfomd129; 08-29-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-29-2021, 08:33 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
Someone explain the appeal of buying jeans with rips and holes in them especially at a higher price then regular jeans. I just don’t get it. In fact my sister and one of her friends did an experiment. They bought ten pairs of cheap Walmart jeans and modified them to look like those higher end pants with holes and tried to sell them. They even ripped out the tags and installed made up ones. At a city wide clothing sale they laid them out to advertise their fake brand and they successfully sold all of them almost three times the cost they bought them for.
That actually sounds pretty cool. I'm a creative and I can sew, I might try to hustle some folks later..lol Thanks for the inspiration

Old 08-29-2021, 08:38 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I think they look stupid, but what do I know, I'm no fashion icon.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:08 AM

127 posts, read 64,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That actually sounds pretty cool. I'm a creative and I can sew, I might try to hustle some folks later..lol Thanks for the inspiration
Capitalism at its best! I like distressed jeans. Not trashy at all.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Read up on Nostalgie de la boue, which is a fancy name for what the upper middle classes do to emulate (and simultaneously mock) the middle-class and poor and show their superiority and elevated status. The phrase literally means 'nostalgia for the mud."

"Nostalgie de la boue tends to be a favorite motif whenever a great many new faces and a lot of new money enter Society. New arrivals have always had two ways of certifying their superiority over the hated ‘middle class.’ They can take on the trappings of aristocracy, such as grand architecture, servants, parterre boxes, and high protocol; and they can indulge in the gauche thrill of taking on certain styles of the lower orders. The two are by no means mutually exclusive; in fact they are always used in combination"
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...ie-de-la-boue/

These jeans came into fashion in 80s during the Reagen-era economic boom, which made lots of people lot of money. Chances are, at least back then, that anyone wearing them was as likely to be a trust-fund socialite as poor white trash. (And yes, grunge rock helped their popularity too.) But it's the same mentality that now gives us Gucci sneakers and Tom Ford sweatpants. (Hey, let's dress like them poor black kids in the ghetto! Just more expensive, so everybody knows we're better than them!)

Last edited by citylove101; 08-29-2021 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 12:28 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Fashion choices are unique to the individual but once you hit a certain age (I'd say around 30) you should know when a fad is attractive and becoming to the wearer or if it's a fad just for fad's sake. The ripped jeans are the latter (IMHO.)
Perhaps, except for the fact that ripped jeans certainly aren't a "fad." They've been steadily popular literally for decades.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I don't get the appeal of torn up jeans, either. I grew up in a poor area and it was common to see holey/worn out jeans simply because there wasn't the money for ones that looked newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty