Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Sounds pretty much like Denver except that for many (not all), the athletic shoes and jeans must be 'designer'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:41 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Here in Montana, I work in a major retailer in the biggest mall around Missoula. I see what people are wearing, and buying. This town is a mixture of college kids, ranchers and cowboys, pretend cowboys, regular working people, and wealthy people who moved here from out-of state places like California. Here are my observations:

- College Preppy: University of Montana logo T-shirts, sweat-shirts, blue-jeans, preppy type shirts, buys with short haircuts and cargo pants, girls with neat ponytails.

- College "Edgy": Trendier clothes, black clothes, piercings and tatoos, girls with lots of dark eye-makeup, and sometimes purple/black or spikey haircuts.

- Real ranchers and cowboys: Blue Jeans, work boots or riding boots, ball caps, occasional cowboy hats (usually well-worn), Carhart pants or jackets/overalls.

- Pretend cowboys: Brand new cowboy shirts and new Wranglers, shiny new snake-skin cowboy boots, spotless cowboy hats.

- Regular working women: Sweat pants, Hi-waisted "Mommy" jeans that taper at the ankles, pony-tails pulled through baseball caps, and way too many "Banana" clips.

- Regular working men: John Deere T-shirts, t-shirts with "witty" sayings, suspenders over the t-shirts in some cases, flannel shirts, ball caps.

- Wealthy People from Out of State: For the men, see PRETEND COWBOYS, for the women, you just were not "in" this past winter without a short black leather coat, belled blue jeans, stilleto black pumps, a designer bag, and that blunt haircut that is longer in the front than in the back (ala Katie Holmes latest 'do")

A word of caution to those women trying to shop the mall in stilleto's - if you can't walk in them, you probably shouldn't be shopping in them. Saw several of these women trip and fall trying to look "oh so shiek" and "in vogue". (hee hee)

Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
A word of caution to those women trying to shop the mall in stilleto's - if you can't walk in them, you probably shouldn't be shopping in them. Saw several of these women trip and fall trying to look "oh so shiek" and "in vogue". (hee hee)
I agree. What I also find amusing are the women who trip down the poorly maintained sidewalks in my neighborhood in those things, especially when they have to tip-toe over the grates because their heels are so skinny if they don't they'll sink into the grate and their shoe will come off (something I've seen more than once).

Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM

201 posts, read 656,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sounds pretty much like Denver except that for many (not all), the athletic shoes and jeans must be 'designer'.
I love that you put designer in quotes katiana-

And let's not forget the crocs- they are EVERYWHERE in Denver! although as a general note: just because they were made and designed in colorado does not mean that they are acceptable in the office

Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Isn't if funny what people will wear, just because everyone else is, whether it actually looks good or not?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Croc are super comfortable, I wear them around the house all the time, but the farthest those shoes has ever traveled is the curb when I took out the garbage. Crocs to work! That's horrible unless there are serious medical problems involved.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here in Charlotte in Summer - Under 60, capri pants (any color, but khaki always works), cute top, cute sandals/thongs, designer handbag

Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Does your area have a style of dress that seems so uniform that one would think they only have one type of clothing store in the area?

For example,here in the Philly 'hoods' -
Men-Summer- Standard issue baseball cap(backwards for youth),white t-shirts(oversized for youth,contractor ads for adults),something from local sports team at all times,cutoff denim shorts,and sneakers or workboots for the complete construction worker look
Men-Fall & Winter- Sweats,sweats,sweats...and football jerseys Youth- Black hoodies(looks like grim reaper convention).

Women-Summer- Sweatpants,white t,flip flops(that you can hear dragging from a block away),rubber band to tie hair up tight in a 'cleaning lady' look

Women-Winter- Not sure,most of them don't come out much in winter. But on rare occasions when dressed up, any pair of obnoxiously loud cloppy shoes.(What is it with the loud feet around here? Loud talking isn't enough?)

Other areas I've lived -
Central NJ - The women are mostly blonde(seconded by dark haired Italians),wear business attire even on the beach and those ever present corporate hoof shoes.

When I was down south I did notice the 'Larry the Cable Guy' look with the cutoff flannels and hunting caps

Any others?
If I'm caught wearing something that the "philly" women wear it's cause I felt "scrubby" today. LOL Generally that look is reserved for home, a lounging with really close friends and maybe desperate times. Come to think of it, I actually don't own a pair of "sweats"...lol. (This is making me sound somewhat superficial huh?)

(Loving the NJ look...lol...so impractical but I'm sure they look great...lol...GO DARK HAIRED ITALIANS!!! lol)

Here in MN I guess I can't pinpoint a look. Maybe I'll ditto our neighbor, the Appleton Wisconsin poster with the "jeans = uniform" movement. It varies so much depending on where or who...jeans seems to be a staple somehow or another.

One thing I could do without...Flipflops. UGH! Seriously, whoever thought up that annoying, disgusting, ugly, uncomfortable "thing" should be shunned. People wear those all the time around here...some even in winter!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 PM

117 posts, read 313,878 times
Here in South Charlotte people mostly dress like rapppers. Long shirt, baggy pants for guys and tight jeans, tight shirt for girls.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
If I'm caught wearing something that the "philly" women wear it's cause I felt "scrubby" today. LOL Generally that look is reserved for home, a lounging with really close friends and maybe desperate times.
Scrubby,that's a good word
So that's probably why they dress that way here,because they rarely venture far from home Scary. I'm always on the go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty