Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 04:43 PM

261 posts, read 189,758 times

Advertisements

When I watch the News & Weather report in my home town I notice all the "Guy's" are wearing their ties below their belt buckles and buttoning the middle button of their sports coats. And there's the bottom of the tie dangling out. (like they didn't zip up) Could anything be any more crude looking ? Well, perhaps they could all be wearing white athletic socks with their trousers cuffed to expose them. Then, why not Zoot Suits ?
Then who knows, maybe it is to thumb the nose at feminist.

Would it not look better to just leave the sports coat unbuttoned ?

What's your opinion on this style of men's dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 04:59 PM

1,803 posts, read 937,670 times
A short fad of young professionals leaving a bottom button open is not biggie. Many will not do this. Maybe some would rather them WIDE Ties back and BIG lapels .... oh and power blue to plaid suits or pants.....

Be happy cloth shoes or sneakers are not in ..... To me it is the early 60s thin slacks and fitted jackets look like the Beatles and other musical groups had then. So they leave a bottom button open. These are models too and maybe one designer? Seems fitting (pun intended) as if a top a bit too small that you cannot button the bottom. Designers ALWAYS have to come up with some new fad.... even subtle to force people to buy into some new hip look. I doubt it will be long lasting.... might be gone for next season.

I thing most professional wear today is pretty Conservative and Classic and Vintage. Be happy even suits and ties still are standard also .... how about some flare bottoms or bells again too .... Never say never. Just old enough to have lived though so many IT looks in that came and went. Just another one likely short lived to sell overpriced name-brand designer wear to the New arriving Gen Z professionals and Gen Y.... Always the 21 to 30ish young crowd fit to keep some new fad designer in $$$ till the next season.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 PM

LOL, Too bad they didn't include narrow brim Homburg hats with sunglasses. They could fit right in with Jake and Elwood.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:30 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,543,231 times
Well, you know, many say ties are phallic symbols.

This trend doesn't bother me, and I doubt it has anything to do with making a statement against feminism. It's probably just a trend, and it's no worse than a lot of the trends women have had in recent years, like tucking only one half of a blouse in or the infernal and absolutely ridiculously mannish "instagram eyebrows."

But tell me, are these young men you're seeing clean-shaven like the ones in the photos? Because I would gladly see ties peeking out from an unbuttoned button if it meant ridding the world of those big bushy beards that look like they house several species of insect and stink to high heaven during the summer.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:19 PM

Those I'm seeing on my local TV Stations are not only in their mid 20's but up into their 50's. They are otherwise professionally groomed. I've seen some with a bit of beard shadow, but when they aren't on air they are making sales calls to sell air time for commercials. No ZZ Top Beards.

I hope NOHype is right about it being a fad, but it's been going on for some time. So a mature fad.

Myself, I'm pretty relaxed about trends and styles. I go with John T Malloy's "Dress for Success" book.
If these other people want to dress to look like Circus Clowns they can knock themselves out.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:46 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,916,187 times
The ties hanging below the belt buckle is something I typically associate with an older generation (im in my 30s). Especially when I was first out of college, all of the older male co workers always had ties that were too long and sport coats that seemed a size too big.

In terms of jacket buttoning when standing..the only guideline and rule I have seen the majority of the population use my entire life is that the bottom button on a two-button jacket is basically never buttoned if a suit is properly tailored.

One button suit: buttoned when standing, unbuttoned seated.

Two button suit: only the top button.

Three button suit: "sometimes. always. never"

What you are describing as 'tacky' has been the prevailing rule for men's jackets since at least the 40s. So I fail to see how it can be a current 'trend'. (Seriously, go look at botique and style guideline images and writeups from the 40s) and is still the current rule parroted by the majority of style magazines, books, or clothing /suit tailors you will look at.

Note that I stated suit tailors there as well. The tailor that I used for my suits for years (before I moved to Dallas) was in this 60s (and this was over 10 years ago) and had been in the business his whole life (from his parents). When I asked about this very early out of college, he stated that the bottom button is never buttoned because, if a suit is tailored properly, it would result in the jacket 'pulling' at the mid/hips and throwing off the fit elsewhere. He was correct - but again this is for tailored suits. Many people wear jackets that are too big.

PS all that being said, fashion 'rules' are always meant to be broken. I have no issue with that and break fashion 'rules' all the time.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:54 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,543,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
Those I'm seeing on my local TV Stations are not only in their mid 20's but up into their 50's. They are otherwise professionally groomed. I've seen some with a bit of beard shadow, but when they aren't on air they are making sales calls to sell air time for commercials. No ZZ Top Beards.

I hope NOHype is right about it being a fad, but it's been going on for some time. So a mature fad.

Myself, I'm pretty relaxed about trends and styles. I go with John T Malloy's "Dress for Success" book.
If these other people want to dress to look like Circus Clowns they can knock themselves out.
LOL at ZZ Top. Yes, can't be a sharp-dressed man looking like Grizzly Adams somehow had a love child with Gandalf.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:05 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,695,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
What you are describing as 'tacky' has been the prevailing rule for men's jackets since at least the 40s. So I fail to see how it can be a current 'trend'. (Seriously, go look at botique and style guideline images and writeups from the 40s) and is still the current rule parroted by the majority of style magazines, books, or clothing /suit tailors you will look at.
Here's the difference though: today's "in" look isn't merely to have only the top button buttoned, but to have the jacket tailored so tight around the midsection that it bunches and gaps around the midsection when buttoned, causing the bottom part to flare out and expose the shirt/tie around the navel area. What's supposed to look "fashionable" looks to me like a grown man trying to stuff himself into his high school homecoming suit.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:45 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,229,282 times
The dreaded shirt triangle? Tired of it.

https://putthison.com/stop-wearing-s...like-to-think/

Also, men should unbutton their jackets when they sit down.

https://www.urbandaddy.com/articles/...et-when-seated

I have strong opinions about menswear for a middle-age lady who lives in cargo shorts and flip-flops. :-)

Old 06-08-2021, 06:23 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,331,805 times
As a woman, I always thought it odd to see a man constantly buttoning and unbuttoning his suit jacket when he sat up & down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty