Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 07:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing ads on my Facebook feed for this Perbelle. It looks intriguing, however it is kind of pricey and wonder how good it really is? I have bought lot of less expensive "light" makeups in the past and been disappointed. So anyone here use it and recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I keep seeing ads on my Facebook feed for this Perbelle. It looks intriguing, however it is kind of pricey and wonder how good it really is? I have bought lot of less expensive "light" makeups in the past and been disappointed. So anyone here use it and recommend it?
Almay has an adjusting tinted moisturizer. At least they did. Much cheaper than Perbelle. A friend of mine used it, and it wasn’t enough coverage for her. Tinted moisturizers are moisturizers. So she handed it over to me. I can say that it came out an odd shade of grayish white and it did adjust to my skin shade which is Whitey McWhiterson. I mean the next shade up would be clown white literally. But my skin is very dry, and I have it down to a science what I need to do to counteract that, and adding a foundation or moisturizer tinted moisturizer on top of that screws with the chemistry. so it didn’t work for me — it made my skin oily, and if I take away somehing that I do to counteract my dryness, the tinted moisturizer, any tinted moisturizer or foundation, will not be enough to re-balance. That and I just hate foundation— they’re icky. To me.

I just checked, Almay still does have this sort of foundation, they did update it to have more shades, but it does appear that it comes out white and it blends to what you need it to be. That actually makes more sense to me because darker complexion’s with me need more of the thing that makes it pigmented. Lighter complexions would need far less. I think it’s 16 bucks. It’s called ageless smart shade foundation.

I did see that thing on Facebook for Perbelle with Carly Phillips? And I’ve seen other ads for it too. I wonder if when you get it if you put it on and keep rubbing it if you can make it go darker. I mean you stop when you get to your shade and it’s blended out.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Almay has an adjusting tinted moisturizer. At least they did. Much cheaper than Perbelle. A friend of mine used it, and it wasn’t enough coverage for her. Tinted moisturizers are moisturizers. So she handed it over to me. I can say that it came out an odd shade of grayish white and it did adjust to my skin shade which is Whitey McWhiterson. I mean the next shade up would be clown white literally. But my skin is very dry, and I have it down to a science what I need to do to counteract that, and adding a foundation or moisturizer tinted moisturizer on top of that screws with the chemistry. so it didn’t work for me — it made my skin oily, and if I take away somehing that I do to counteract my dryness, the tinted moisturizer, any tinted moisturizer or foundation, will not be enough to re-balance. That and I just hate foundation— they’re icky. To me.

I just checked, Almay still does have this sort of foundation, they did update it to have more shades, but it does appear that it comes out white and it blends to what you need it to be. That actually makes more sense to me because darker complexion’s with me need more of the thing that makes it pigmented. Lighter complexions would need far less. I think it’s 16 bucks. It’s called ageless smart shade foundation.

I did see that thing on Facebook for Perbelle with Carly Phillips? And I’ve seen other ads for it too. I wonder if when you get it if you put it on and keep rubbing it if you can make it go darker. I mean you stop when you get to your shade and it’s blended out.
Thanks. I hate foundation too. Once in a blue moon I wear L'Oreal True Match liquid - it is very sheer and blendable, and pretty cheap. Most of the time I go without.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I hate foundation too. Once in a blue moon I wear L'Oreal True Match liquid - it is very sheer and blendable, and pretty cheap. Most of the time I go without.
I use Glossier stretch concealer in G 12 which is the lightest neutral shade they have. It exactly matches my skin. Perfectly. I use it on the blue corners of my eyes, down a wee bit. I use it on the rosacea spots on my cheeks which are very close to my nose, and I use a tiny bit on my chin because there’s just a little bit of redness there. It is literally the long stalk of my T-zone. It goes over beautifully the oil I use called Mad Hippie antioxidant oil — sort of acts like a primer. What little make up I wear sits beautifully over it. I use some cream blush, and a small amount I have deep purple eyeliner under my eyes, and if I’m doing something special some eyeshadow. Also a cream product. I I have some sparse bits in my brows so I got to do those. I use NYX thick it stick it, and fill in with thrive eyebrow pencil. It’s probably the last time I’m going to buy that. And

Most of my make up is pretty much drug store except for the Glossier. And my mascara. Mascara has been the bane of my existence for about five years, and I finally found the right one for me. Bad gal bang waterproof. Totally worth the price, and if you watch the Ulta catalogs, you will find sales where it’s half off a couple times a year.

In the past five/six years have been very stressful, and it really does show up in your hair and skin.

I’ve talked about losing my husband, and I’ve talked about my sister with Alzheimer’s, I don’t generally tell people that I’ve also lost 11 cats in those years. Most of them were very old, all of them were very loved, and for a while I felt like the angel of death.

And my beautiful mane of hair thinned, greyed, got dry — which my hair has never ever in my whole life been that way so I didn’t even know what to do, and then my skin fell apart. Weirdly, my eyes hollowed. I have major tear trough action going on. My skin care routine was no longer providing the right moisture and occlusives. I tried slugging with Vaseline— kinda meh, a little better, but got milia… I drank more water — didn’t work — I watched my diet and ate more oilier fish and veggies (more avocados!) didn’t work.

I ran out of retinol, and started using the stronger version — retinal or retinaldehyde. I had to go slow with it. And I topped everything off with a facial oil — the Mad Hippie one. After one night, my face felt better. Didn’t look better. You know that feeling when you wear one of those clay masks and you laugh when it’s really dry and everything’s cracking, that’s how my face felt. After one night that feeling was way less. After six weeks I was back to normal.

Yeah, there’s nothing like your whole life falling apart in about 10 months, then, six month you get to look like the ugly tree hit you.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I use Glossier stretch concealer in G 12 which is the lightest neutral shade they have. It exactly matches my skin. Perfectly. I use it on the blue corners of my eyes, down a wee bit. I use it on the rosacea spots on my cheeks which are very close to my nose, and I use a tiny bit on my chin because there’s just a little bit of redness there. It is literally the long stalk of my T-zone. It goes over beautifully the oil I use called Mad Hippie antioxidant oil — sort of acts like a primer. What little make up I wear sits beautifully over it. I use some cream blush, and a small amount I have deep purple eyeliner under my eyes, and if I’m doing something special some eyeshadow. Also a cream product. I I have some sparse bits in my brows so I got to do those. I use NYX thick it stick it, and fill in with thrive eyebrow pencil. It’s probably the last time I’m going to buy that. And

Most of my make up is pretty much drug store except for the Glossier. And my mascara. Mascara has been the bane of my existence for about five years, and I finally found the right one for me. Bad gal bang waterproof. Totally worth the price, and if you watch the Ulta catalogs, you will find sales where it’s half off a couple times a year.

In the past five/six years have been very stressful, and it really does show up in your hair and skin.

I’ve talked about losing my husband, and I’ve talked about my sister with Alzheimer’s, I don’t generally tell people that I’ve also lost 11 cats in those years. Most of them were very old, all of them were very loved, and for a while I felt like the angel of death.

And my beautiful mane of hair thinned, greyed, got dry — which my hair has never ever in my whole life been that way so I didn’t even know what to do, and then my skin fell apart. Weirdly, my eyes hollowed. I have major tear trough action going on. My skin care routine was no longer providing the right moisture and occlusives. I tried slugging with Vaseline— kinda meh, a little better, but got milia… I drank more water — didn’t work — I watched my diet and ate more oilier fish and veggies (more avocados!) didn’t work.

I ran out of retinol, and started using the stronger version — retinal or retinaldehyde. I had to go slow with it. And I topped everything off with a facial oil — the Mad Hippie one. After one night, my face felt better. Didn’t look better. You know that feeling when you wear one of those clay masks and you laugh when it’s really dry and everything’s cracking, that’s how my face felt. After one night that feeling was way less. After six weeks I was back to normal.

Yeah, there’s nothing like your whole life falling apart in about 10 months, then, six month you get to look like the ugly tree hit you.
Awww, I am so sorry to hear about all this! I understand, though, I had a very bad accident last year where I not only broke my kneecap (worst bone you can break) it triggered blood clots, lung infection and diabetic ketoacidosis. It landed me in the hospital for several weeks, and afterward my already thin hair started falling out. My skin took a hit also. Definitely aged several years in a few months.

Been trying to eat a lot of protein, always eat a lot of oily fish, drink a lot of water, etc. My skin is doing better - hair not so much!

Old 03-12-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Awww, I am so sorry to hear about all this! I understand, though, I had a very bad accident last year where I not only broke my kneecap (worst bone you can break) it triggered blood clots, lung infection and diabetic ketoacidosis. It landed me in the hospital for several weeks, and afterward my already thin hair started falling out. My skin took a hit also. Definitely aged several years in a few months.

Been trying to eat a lot of protein, always eat a lot of oily fish, drink a lot of water, etc. My skin is doing better - hair not so much!
I moved cross-country from California to Pennsylvania, I moved home. I found a hairdresser after trying a couple of it didn’t work for me. And we’re working through different hair issues. Did you know you could over moisturize your hair? Seriously, I am Eye Rolling right now. My hair has been through the wringer!

I don’t know if it’s different water, weather, no clue. But it was still dry when I got here, and my last haircut I went in and went what’s going on? Limp and flat and she said oh that’s over moisturized hair. You can do that?

And it’s very difficult to find products that are middle of the road normal. Everything is geared towards moisturizing because we use heat on our hair and we have curly hair which tends to be drier and we have this or we have that OR oily hair products. So now I’m down to using a daily clarifying shampoo, and I don’t shampoo daily, it’s every other day. And then my second shampoo is a little dot of some thing that’s supposed to be a gentle daily shampoo. She sold me a product, it’s a gel mousse, so my hair has some texture again. I think the next haircut I may end up looking for shampoo with her. Day one, it looks OK day, two is starting to be flat. Not oily, that just doesn’t really happen with my hair, but flat, no texture.

Always cracks me up when I hear shampoos commercials about how soft my hair is, to me, that’s not a good thing. I have soft hair, and it’s complicated to deal with. And it’s gray — it’s not supposed to be doing that when you’re gray, it’s supposed to be coarse and need moisture but nope, not me — I’m weird.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
Quote:
I moved cross-country from California to Pennsylvania, I moved home. I found a hairdresser after trying a couple of it didn’t work for me. And we’re working through different hair issues. Did you know you could over moisturize your hair? Seriously, I am Eye Rolling right now. My hair has been through the wringer!

I don’t know if it’s different water, weather, no clue. But it was still dry when I got here, and my last haircut I went in and went what’s going on? Limp and flat and she said oh that’s over moisturized hair. You can do that?

And it’s very difficult to find products that are middle of the road normal. Everything is geared towards moisturizing because we use heat on our hair and we have curly hair which tends to be drier and we have this or we have that OR oily hair products. So now I’m down to using a daily clarifying shampoo, and I don’t shampoo daily, it’s every other day. And then my second shampoo is a little dot of some thing that’s supposed to be a gentle daily shampoo. She sold me a product, it’s a gel mousse, so my hair has some texture again. I think the next haircut I may end up looking for shampoo with her. Day one, it looks OK day, two is starting to be flat. Not oily, that just doesn’t really happen with my hair, but flat, no texture.

Always cracks me up when I hear shampoos commercials about how soft my hair is, to me, that’s not a good thing. I have soft hair, and it’s complicated to deal with. And it’s gray — it’s not supposed to be doing that when you’re gray, it’s supposed to be coarse and need moisture but nope, not me — I’m weird.
Yes your hair can get over moisturized, even from shampoo build up. Another thread I was just talking about how my Rosemary Mint shampoo from Aveda went up in price to $80! It’s a clarifier that gets rid of build up. But Suave makes a decent substitute for about $5, Rosemary Mint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty