Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 08:02 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

I have become aware of a supposed issue revolving around eye color. "Light" colored eyes (namely blue) are an undesirable feature in human appearance it seems. Not the first I've seen of this though. Dealt with that my whole life. We namely blue eyed folks appearance it seems cause apprehension and anxiety amongst some people.

One of the comments being blue eyed folks force focus on them to be directed at the eyes alone as a primary physical feature as blue eyed people don't usually have any other features to focus on. OK. Having blue eyes myself coming from a family who's patriarchal side has blue eyes as a physical trait I have seen this supposed aversion to my eyes up close.

But reaction is not always negative. Sometimes a negative reaction is obviously feigned and other times yep. Some folks get nasty bout it. If it's a put on it's a good one. I've never put primary focus on a persons eyes alone so that makes me curious. At least at the moment. Are lighter eyes. particularly blue ones an off putting physical feature? Oh I figure there's a LOT of personal opinion bout that. LOL Ya think? Maybe? Still a public statement from some folks (enough for me to notice) that blue eyes are totally unattractive and even ugly feature raises my eyebrow in true Spockian manner. Fascinating Captain.

All four members of my immediate family are "light" eyed. My Dad and I have blue eyes my Mom and Sister have hazel. My Son has hazel eyes but they are more green especially if he's worked up bout something. My nephew has his Dads brown eyes. So eye color is an inherited trait methinks and one that has influence in the fashion/beauty world. I don't see only eye color whem meeting someone for the first time but I will admit that it does have an effect on me. Personally I am more likely to notice a pair of striking blue or green eyes than plain ol' brown.

Grey eyes I find to be very noticeable but not in a way that even suggests fear or dislike. With only one exception all the people I've met with grey eyes have been from the UK or were closely related somehow. That seems to me to be the primary grey eyed group but blue and green have heavy representation among that ethnic group as well. My own lineage is heavily Welsh. Not shocking our eyes tend to be lighter colored. So do brown eyed people have some sort of default gene that gives them the "oh they're so dreamy" effect in terms of being attractive? As in MORE attractive? Amongst the most of folks anyway?

My own personal taste runs to me being hooked more solidly on a persons (mainly talking women here) appearance with blue or green eyes. I like the grey color the UK folks have in the gene pool but I've never met a woman with grey eyes either. So my fascination isn't based so much on the attractiveness so much as perhaps an envy. LOL...perhaps. Perhaps not. I neither know nor care. I just think grey eyes are cool.

So how does eye color work with folks in a majority opinion? Are lighter colored eyes becoming seen as an undesirable trait? I can attest to how eye color works with me but I'm a tad curiousital bout what other folks think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 08:21 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I have blue eyes, as do/did my parents, my six siblings, my husband, and my three children. Of course eye color is an inherited trait, like every other physical characteristic including skin color, hair color, height, etc. etc.

I have never in my entire life heard of "apprehension and anxiety" regarding blue eyes or all the negativity you report, at least not in the US or any other Western country. If you're talking about dating, people are MUCH more picky about features such as a partner's height and weight than their eye color!

When I went to Japan, some Japanese commented on my blue eyes which were definitely a novelty there, but their remarks were all complimentary. I suppose if you trekked to some extremely remote, isolated corner of the earth where blue eyes are completely unknown, you might get a strange reaction, but you're in Nevada?? What do you mean, people get nasty about it?

Old 08-18-2023, 08:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
"Light" colored eyes (namely blue) are an undesirable feature in human appearance it seems.
Source? I've never heard this before.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:05 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
I heard all people with blue eyes share 1 common ancestor. It might have been an alien..

https://www.verywellhealth.com/blue-eyes-health-5096185

Quote:
Blue eyes actually didn't exist 10,000 years ago. Researchers believe there is one ancestor responsible for blue eyes that descended from the Black Sea region of southeastern Europe anywhere between 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.

This one person with a genetic mutation had children, and the trait was passed to the next generation. As that generation had children and moved around, the blue eye mutation continued to spread across many parts of the globe.

This means everyone with blue eyes has one thing in common—they're all related. Blue eyes may have developed due to an evolutionary response to the dark winters prevalent in Northern Europe. In theory, blue eyes may have protected a person from acquiring vision disorders caused by these periods.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:30 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have become aware of a supposed issue revolving around eye color. "Light" colored eyes (namely blue) are an undesirable feature in human appearance it seems. Not the first I've seen of this though. Dealt with that my whole life. We namely blue eyed folks appearance it seems cause apprehension and anxiety amongst some people.
My father had blue eyes. SO has blue eyes. Mine are very green.
What you are stating is new to me.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Ummm no. I read long ago that blue eyes are the most attractive. Google are blue eyes or brown eyes most attractive and other than some reddit post of someone defending their brown eyes, you can see by the titles.
Here is one article from a simple google. A scientific study. I don 't have time to look at it but it says scientific in the title.

https://www.morefm.co.nz/home/trendi...an-others.html

I have brown eyes. Not that it bothers me. But most male models have light green, amber or blue eyes. Look at those French cologne ads or pics at the department store of those smoldering faces next to the counter, and you will see those magnetic gazing eyes that you, too, can have, if you buy "said" cologne.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:36 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I haven't, either. I thought people liked blue eyes, and lighter-colored eyes in general. Possibly because they tend to be more striking and show more color variation (dark is just dark, but lighter eyes can vary according to lighting, have color variation within them and show detail of the iris, etc.)?

(Hell, I got into a discussion once on a fan site for a movie about one of the actors and what color his eyes were... I was completely wrong based on a print ad I saw with him in it where his hazel eyes had been edited to blue... and the movie/ad were from the 80s.)

Old 08-18-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have blue eyes, as do/did my parents, my six siblings, my husband, and my three children. Of course eye color is an inherited trait, like every other physical characteristic including skin color, hair color, height, etc. etc.

I have never in my entire life heard of "apprehension and anxiety" regarding blue eyes or all the negativity you report, at least not in the US or any other Western country. If you're talking about dating, people are MUCH more picky about features such as a partner's height and weight than their eye color!

When I went to Japan, some Japanese commented on my blue eyes which were definitely a novelty there, but their remarks were all complimentary. I suppose if you trekked to some extremely remote, isolated corner of the earth where blue eyes are completely unknown, you might get a strange reaction, but you're in Nevada?? What do you mean, people get nasty about it?

NOOOO. it's not that folks are getting nasty so much. And the "aprehension anxiety" thing was a secondary thing. I'm figgering whoever compiled the info had an agenda. LOL HAD to have. But I have gotten some grief about my blue eyes. In foriegn (mainly Asian)countries blue eyes are indeed a novelty. In Japan and the PI (more in the latter)mboth blonde hair and blue or green eyes are more than a novelty. They were prized and expensive features when they were available for purchase. The Moro Dattoo's were big consumers at the time we were there. Two girls who were abducted were returned after some persuasive methods were employed by the Marines who under a Naval officer went in and took them back. LOL just don't tell the Marines that.

I got way more negative commentary 9not all of it serious) from American Indians. Growing up especially. My tribal buddies still razz me with gusto bout my blue eyes. I've heard them called "goat eyes" Dead eyes" and a few other things but the main 'dislike" (disdain more so on the truly negative) has been from American tribal Indian people. Blonde hair (mine was platinum when I was young) was similar. But again in Asia that was quite ...prized. But I had never heard about any general societal view of blue eyes or lighter eyes being considered any sort of undesirable trait and I'm NOT talking about dating. That means next to nothing for me.

No I'm talking about other negativity as supposedly seen by a large portion of the world. I ain't seen it in any other than smaller population sections where it is a physical trait to be seen as less. But some it would seem disagree with that. Again I'm thinking an individual take was being put on display not a general one. So dating or human sexuality has no bearing on my question. The way the particular opinion I saw expressed was not dealing with that. Just thought I'd toss out the question. And the answer is the most of folks don't see any societal issue in eye color though some do. Same with what is seen as attractive with the latter being VERY subjective.

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-18-2023 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

Meh it was a snippet on my Bing news feed this morning. I just got curious. Seems my initial impression of the opinion expressed was correct. Nothing backing it up anywhere else. I guess there's some ethnic variables on eye color that do have some bearing but overall not much.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:09 AM

21,938 posts, read 9,508,101 times
One of my friends used to tell his girlfriend he would never have kids with her because she had brown eyes and he would only reproduce with a blue eyed person. About as sensible as this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty