Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:48 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,170,520 times

Advertisements

Hoping C-D's collective wisdom won't let me freeze during my next trip.

I'm looking for something that:

- Would fit a sorta-athletic-looking male (5 ft 7, 160 lbs) in a size S (most Ms in my experience have sleeves that are way too long, but a lot of Ss are also made for people 20 lbs slimmer)
- Is lightweight (can be packed away in a backpack when walking around a city for multiple hours)
- Is warm enough to wear over two a long-sleeve t-shirt or a microfleece 1/4 zip with a tank top underneath, but not so that I'm already sweaty after a half an hour of walking
- Windproof and at least water-resistant, so a light rain wouldn't soak it clear through
- Softshell (with a fleece inside layer) or quilted - not yet sure which is best, leaning towards the former, but am willing to be persuaded otherwise
- Can be found on sale under $200

So far I've looked at the Adidas Terrex range (haven't tried anything on, though), R2 from Patagonia (I have one - not waterproof enough and a bit too thin to be warm enough), North Face Apex Bionic (too narrow in the shoulders) and Thermoball (would be ideal, but too slim a fit). Have a North Face Camden and Tekware hoodies coming (suspect Tekware will be similar to the R2), as well as a pretty simple Costco Weatherproof jacket. Anything else I should be looking at?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 12:09 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Is there an REI near you?
I would go there, and try on all the options they offer.
Their salespeople are very knowledgable!

Old 11-16-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Is there an REI near you?
I would go there, and try on all the options they offer.
Their salespeople are very knowledgable!
There is one, yeah. I actually went over there and didn't have a ton of luck. That was where I discovered the Tekware line, though, and my requirements were a little different at the time, so maybe it's worth another drive over.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:35 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Check on Amazon - OTU stores have tons of them. They are awesome and on sale now

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-W.../dp/B08M98BKSM

And, of course there is iconic Columbia:
https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Wate...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Other options:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=best+sell...ref=nb_sb_noss

Old 11-19-2023, 07:34 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
I'm an athletic 5'10" guy, 170 lbs and lean/hard vs. bulky. Runner. Trim / slim fit everything. I am a big-time outdoors person only with products that function well in technical environments.

Soft shell: Arc'teryx Trino SL or similar. If it still exists. Higher output hiking and running. Not lined.

- Athletic (M is trim fit and fits me well). Thinking you need an S.
- Lightweight but not super thin.
- Windproof.
- Breathes well.
- Softshell, so water resistant but not waterproof (gives up after a couple hrs. of rain).

Excellent light hiking jacket if you need something that breaths in cool or cold weather, high output activities. If you need something that actually repels rain better, a Sabre LT, Beta LT, or Beta AR are good alternatives. I wouldn't wear any of those during high output activities, 99% of what I do (road and trail running).

There are a couple guys who do Arc'teryx "which jacket do I need" matrices online. Problem: they are not on sale under $200 usually: spendy stuff that lasts. Posh or similar sometimes has used but they tend to hold value there too.

Other option: Lululemon Warp Light jacket. Caught one on closeout the other week for $119. Meets your price point and most of the above. Not Gore-Tex and nothing I'd take into too much rain. I rinsed it off recently and noted it dried much more slowly than the Trino SL (which is Gore-Tex). Based on your "waterproof" comments, last few sentences, might not serve your purposes.

Old 11-22-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Check on Amazon - OTU stores have tons of them. They are awesome and on sale now

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-W.../dp/B08M98BKSM

And, of course there is iconic Columbia:
https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Wate...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Other options:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=best+sell...ref=nb_sb_noss
These are all non-lined rain jackets. I have one of those. None of them have the fleece inner layer I'm looking for.

The North Face Camden turned out to be pretty close to what I was looking for, but I'm not a fan of the fit.

Old 11-22-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm an athletic 5'10" guy, 170 lbs and lean/hard vs. bulky. Runner. Trim / slim fit everything. I am a big-time outdoors person only with products that function well in technical environments.

Soft shell: Arc'teryx Trino SL or similar. If it still exists. Higher output hiking and running. Not lined.

<...>

Other option: Lululemon Warp Light jacket. Caught one on closeout the other week for $119. Meets your price point and most of the above. Not Gore-Tex and nothing I'd take into too much rain. I rinsed it off recently and noted it dried much more slowly than the Trino SL (which is Gore-Tex). Based on your "waterproof" comments, last few sentences, might not serve your purposes.
Thank you! I'll look these up (although the "not lined" bit about the Arc'teryx one is giving me pause, but I am going to look at the brand overall). Lulu hadn't even crossed my mind (water-resistant is enough, doesn't have to be waterproof). We've actually got an outlet store of theirs within a 30-min drive (North Face too, but that store is horrible). Might give that a go.

Any opinion on this thing? And on Tekware? (I grabbed one of the latter on the BF sale at TNF.)

Old 11-24-2023, 01:56 PM

403 posts, read 222,766 times
I shop for outdoor jackets, shoes, boots, beach equipment, etc. at Sierra. Prices are good. Check it out!

https://www.sierra.com/

Old 11-24-2023, 04:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,160,354 times
Patagonia.

And- you get what you pay for. I've made a decent parka last a decade.

Feel free to ask a salesperson if they like the item. They usually know which ones are top sellers.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Patagonia.
Unfortunately, most of the stuff they make doesn't work for me. The Smalls are most often too small while the Mediums have sleeves for people at least 6 ft tall. The R2 was an exception, but even it is a bit too tight.
Quote:
Feel free to ask a salesperson if they like the item. They usually know which ones are top sellers.
I would never trust the word of a salesperson and wouldn't advise that anyone do, either. They may know what sells well, but "top seller" doesn't necessarily mean "best item for the described scenario".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty