Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times

Advertisements

Great suggestions oberon_1. I've not heard of any of those brands, other than Patagonia & Rainforest. For me, I don't need a coat now, but it'd be worth seeing if they have any sales going on.

I mentioned Arc"Teryx brand, cuz we had about 6" of snow here lately,and I had delusions of being in the Canadian north country! I thought we were in a blizzard!! (Also have a friend from AK who was into climbing).

BTW, artic weather is 25+ for me ~ .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
My warmest jacket is a down-filled parka from LandsEnd.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Great suggestions oberon_1. I've not heard of any of those brands, other than Patagonia & Rainforest. For me, I don't need a coat now, but it'd be worth seeing if they have any sales going on.

I mentioned Arc"Teryx brand, cuz we had about 6" of snow here lately,and I had delusions of being in the Canadian north country! I thought we were in a blizzard!! (Also have a friend from AK who was into climbing).

BTW, artic weather is 25+ for me ~ .
Canada Goose
KANUK
www.moncler.com
J Barbour and Sons Ltd.
Filson

Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Patagonia, all the way!!! They make quality products with extreme attention to detail and offer a complete money-back lifetime warranty with no need for explanation.

A few notes on jackets: Any brand that claims their coat is good to a certain temperature shouldn't be trusted, it depends on what you are doing, how much body heat you have, and how you are layered. Windproof fabric goes a long way toward warmth. When looking at down coats, keep in mind that down doesn't function when wet, if you want to roll in snow or wear it in cold rain make sure it has a waterproof outer layer. Look for a coat that can be closed tight around wrists, hips, neck. When looking at down coats the number (usually 500-700) doesn't have to do with how warm it is, rather how lofty/lightweight the down is. Synthetic regulates better if you are prone to over-heating.

I prefer a super-heavy down coat that is at least butt-length for the coldest days. I also own a light-weight synthetic fill jacket for when I'm moving around more or going from warm to cold areas since it regulates better. A heavy down coat, light synthetic coat, waterproof shell and windproof fleece were what I owned to get through Chicago winters.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
I checked those links oberon_1 kindly provided - thank you! Other than Rainforest & some things on Filson, I'll stick with Patagonia. Most important for me, is being able to do sports like running and hiking and be warm and unencumbered. Not much into bulky-looking stuff. It's just not practical or necessary where I live. We have more dampness than freezing cold.

I agree, DNaomi, Patagonia best fits the bill for me. I haven't found anything better at a reasonable cost. I have three waterproof shells (running & climbing gear), one Patagonia storm jacket and one waterproof fleece. They're each very easy to layer with. Works great!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Check out Carhartt for the rugged, but very warm look. lol

Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
either wool or down keep you warn. However wearing layers migh also help. I had a great coat end of the season part wool it lasted quiet a long time. Talbots also might have some great coat sales now.
I still have a landsend squal jacket over 17 years old. It is a in between jacket I will not part with.

What quality that is, when I wear it, people do admire it. Well, I will keep it always.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
I checked those links oberon_1 kindly provided - thank you! Other than Rainforest & some things on Filson, I'll stick with Patagonia. Most important for me, is being able to do sports like running and hiking and be warm and unencumbered. Not much into bulky-looking stuff. It's just not practical or necessary where I live. We have more dampness than freezing cold.

I agree, DNaomi, Patagonia best fits the bill for me. I haven't found anything better at a reasonable cost. I have three waterproof shells (running & climbing gear), one Patagonia storm jacket and one waterproof fleece. They're each very easy to layer with. Works great!
If you like Patagonia, another good brand to check out is Cloudveil. I sold their products too, they make really nice softshell jackets that give awesome moving and breathability and use top-of-the-line materials.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Maybe I'm 'old-school', but today I'm wearing my Camp 7 down parka (Circa 1975). I recently lost my 'White Stag' down coat on a Greyhound bus I had got that one in 1968 (jr high school)

Fit is important, so I have to stay the same size I was in High School.

Tight (adjustable) sleeve cuffs, a tie for the waist, and a snug collar help keep in my 'skinny' (and minimal) heat.

I will confess, I love my thinsulate gloves (circa 1990).

Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Lathered up with pig fat? What on earth are you talking about? I'm sure it's some kind of slam, but it doesn't make any sense...what up with that?
Pig fat is what tallow is made of. Tallow is an ing in most soaps.

Anti-animal product use shouldn't be preached sans practice.
But there is always one that does it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty