Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the days when formal business attire was required at the workplace? We still have a few old schoolers. I'm not one of them, by choice. I do, however, put on my suit and tie when I conduct business outside the office. Over the years, I've observed that business casual has evolved into bum casual. Has anyone else encountered this at work? Would anyone like to see a return to formal business attire? To the ladies here: Do you miss seeing formally dress men in the office? Also, is there a correlation between dress and hygiene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I don't see too many suit wearing men in my office (maybe if I worked in corp. HQ I would). Mostly casual. Dockers and a shirt - no tie. Women seem to dress up more than men although most of the women dress casually too - including me. I don't miss wearing nylons and heels in bad weather. I think most people regardless of the everyday work environment, know enough to dress up more if they are meeting with a client or some such.....

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Does anyone remember the days when formal business attire was required at the workplace? We still have a few old schoolers. I'm not one of them, by choice. I do, however, put on my suit and tie when I conduct business outside the office. Over the years, I've observed that business casual has evolved into bum casual. Has anyone else encountered this at work? Would anyone like to see a return to formal business attire? To the ladies here: Do you miss seeing formally dress men in the office? Also, is there a correlation between dress and hygiene?
I vote for comfort. It's bad enough you have to sit there for 8 hours, dealing with people you would rather bury with a backhoe, shuffling papers around, sitting in chairs that would make a Spanish Inquisititor grin...Bad enough you have to get up at some ungodly hour, take a shower and deal with even being awake. Without having to wear clothes that pinch and tug and make you even MORE miserable than you already are.

In a word. NO. In fact, I wish pajamas would become the rage in office wear.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
If I could get away with the pajamas - AND no makeup and nappy hair, that would be great! Unfortunately, I'd scare people, so I get all gussied up whether I like it or not.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I hate to say this but I think those day of formal wear in the office are long gone in some proffesions . remember when nurses wore white uniforms ? ladys that wore big hats to church on sunday mornings ? yes those are the days I remember from my childhood . I am glad to see the nurses uniforms gone though but somehow not the big hat ladies from church on a crisp sunday morning . but yes I think those formal wear days are gone .

Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I vote for comfort. It's bad enough you have to sit there for 8 hours, dealing with people you would rather bury with a backhoe, shuffling papers around, sitting in chairs that would make a Spanish Inquisititor grin...Bad enough you have to get up at some ungodly hour, take a shower and deal with even being awake. Without having to wear clothes that pinch and tug and make you even MORE miserable than you already are.

In a word. NO. In fact, I wish pajamas would become the rage in office wear.
Well, top o' the mornin' to you too, sunshine! [BTW, didn't you change your name to the infamous "Doxie hater"!?!!]

I agree that the formal days are long gone. It used to be nice to see people get all dressed up to go to church, or to go out to a nice dinner. I rather miss that. I never got used to shorts and levis in church.

"Do you miss seeing formally dress men in the office?" Yes, in a sense. I think it looks nice. But I don't think it's really very practical anymore. I sure don't miss those days of wearing heels & nylons during bad weather, either, maciesmom!

"Also, is there a correlation between dress and hygiene?" Yes. But I don't find that dressing casually and good hygiene are mutually exclusive. I would never want to return to those more formal days. Casual and comfortable is good, like 20 yrs said!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
No...I will just do as you do and be the one that comes up for promotions and larger raises. I think clothing is a reflection of a personality. If I want a job done I don't go for the person in comfort wear.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I've been watching lots of old movies. I like the way women used to dress up!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
One thing I loved about my former job was that being in the tech industry, attire was casual. Many days, I wore jeans. But since I was the only woman there I could also dress up when I wanted without feeling out of place. Mostly, with such a casual, (almost) anything-goes workplace, I experimented a lot with my vintage clothing. 50's style swing dresses were my favorite.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
As a female, I would NOT want a return to formal attire. It is much more expensive and time consuming for females to dress formally than it is for men. Men can get away with a couple suits, shirts, ties, and shoes. Women are expected to be more varied and need nylons, jewelry, matching shoes, bags, etc. I also think it's creepy that some people/companies still expect women to wear skirt suits instead of pant suits, why should we have to have legs exposed? No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty