Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,356,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I refuse to believe that you're this dense.
I wish I could say the same about you

As I said before, Fleetie can hire who she wants based on her criteria and I'll hire mine based on my criteria. Then we can see how that works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM

291 posts, read 1,076,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I wish I could say the same about you

As I said before, Fleetie can hire who she wants based on her criteria and I'll hire mine based on my criteria. Then we can see how that works out.
I give up- yes, I'm dense because I recognize certain social realities and make the appropriate adjustments (and yes, sometimes judgments). I'm off to make dinner.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM

897 posts, read 1,596,114 times
Clothes may not say EVERYTHING about you but they sure are a big part of making a first impression.

There is a large group of people who believe in the whole, "don't judge a book by its cover" lie but, let's face it, we all judge each other by our outer appearances. It isn't until you actually strike up a conversation and get to know a person's ideals, ideas, feelings, norms and cultural background that you trully get to know that person but there are plenty of people out there who let us know enough about themselves just by how they dress, what kind of haircut they have, etc.

For example: If I see a guy who has his arms covered in tattoos and, among the tattoos there is a number 13, a spiderweb and several names in old english font while he's wearing a wife beater, super loose caquies and has a shaved head; I'm not going to give that guy the benefit of the doubt and strike up a conversation.

When I'm in a relaxed mode and am just out for a drive with my wife or we're just out shopping, I tend to wear a t-shirt (usually one with some kind of comic book character screen printed on it), jeans and sneakers. I may have stuble, I may not but I won't dress like that to go to, say, a job interview or a party or to dinner where they have cloth napkins. It's just common sense.

Someone else stated that talented people may show up to your interview wearing a t-shirt and jeans but, if that talented person has to deal with any customers and he doesn't have the basic respect of wearing professional attire, then he's not an asset to your company. Presentation, whether we like to admit it or not, is important.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,652,227 times
Well my clothes basically scream POOR.

When I get my Cole Haan Purse. They will scream poor with taste.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,652,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Clothes may not say EVERYTHING about you but they sure are a big part of making a first impression.

There is a large group of people who believe in the whole, "don't judge a book by its cover" lie but, let's face it, we all judge each other by our outer appearances. It isn't until you actually strike up a conversation and get to know a person's ideals, ideas, feelings, norms and cultural background that you trully get to know that person but there are plenty of people out there who let us know enough about themselves just by how they dress, what kind of haircut they have, etc.

For example: If I see a guy who has his arms covered in tattoos and, among the tattoos there is a number 13, a spiderweb and several names in old english font while he's wearing a wife beater, super loose caquies and has a shaved head; I'm not going to give that guy the benefit of the doubt and strike up a conversation.

When I'm in a relaxed mode and am just out for a drive with my wife or we're just out shopping, I tend to wear a t-shirt (usually one with some kind of comic book character screen printed on it), jeans and sneakers. I may have stuble, I may not but I won't dress like that to go to, say, a job interview or a party or to dinner where they have cloth napkins. It's just common sense.

Someone else stated that talented people may show up to your interview wearing a t-shirt and jeans but, if that talented person has to deal with any customers and he doesn't have the basic respect of wearing professional attire, then he's not an asset to your company. Presentation, whether we like to admit it or not, is important.
Very true I have met very well dressed people in my life time and found out there personality didn't match. I have met a few people whom didn't dress up to par and could of out done the well dressed person in personality by a long shot.

I have met people who wouldn't be seen in public nor private without a hair being put into place and had the best personality I have ever seen. Depends on the person not the clothes.

I have met people whom were dressed well and some whom were not dressed well at all and couldn't wait to get away from them.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,824,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This has come up over and over on this forum--we may as well consolidate the answers.

Some people believe clothing says nothing about you, some believe it says everything. What do you think?

Mine says, "please help me!"

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 PM

37,749 posts, read 46,228,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't believe that people have to follow trends or spend a lot of money, but I do believe that how you present yourself to the world says a lot about you. People who dress solely for comfort and look sloppy are saying, "I don't care" and that's fine, but then they shouldn't be suprised when I don't hire them or date them or patronize their business.
That pretty much says it for me.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 PM

37,749 posts, read 46,228,888 times
Quote:
Agreed.

What does that have to do with clothing?
Anyone that goes to a job interview, NOT properly attired for that interview, is exercising poor judgment. That should be clear to anyone that is old enough to be in the workplace.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,102,054 times
My clothes say a variety of things about me. On a dance floor in a standard or smooth gown, or a latin costume, my clothes scream BALLROOM DIVA!!! But at work my clothes show that I am professional and responsible. If I am out to dinner with my husband and/or friends, I might wear something more sexy or figure flattering, at that point I think my clothes tell people that I take really good care of my body and that I'm not afraid to show it off. But I never, ever look like a skank!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,719,164 times
Quote:

I think that what people think about the clothes a person wears says a lot about them.

That's ridiculous. What clothes people wear and how they wear them say everything about you. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty