Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times

Advertisements

Have you ever turned your clothing in for cash? If so, did you find that you got a fair price for your stuff? Just wondering, as I have tons of A&F, Aeropostle, Express, American Eagle, Charlotte Russe...and I know that is what they look for.

I have considered selling it on CL or Ebay but that can be a hassle...well at least eBay is...you pay a listing fee, a final sales fee and the work of posting pics and descriptions, packaging and shipping...I checked how well those items were selling and for the 15.00 for 7 shirts they get, it doesn't really seem like it would be worth it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
I haven't but I know many who have....not Plato's but other consignment shops...I know, I know...there is a difference but in the end- it's cash for stuff you don't need anymore.

With the low end sales of the stores you've listed (as in everything is on sale or discounted it seems) you may be better off donating your items and getting a receipt for end of year tax write off.

Just do the figures and see which one is best.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
I've never really messed with resale shops. I always donate my stuff. If it's nice dressy stuff- casual business, suits, nice sweaters, dresses or office stuff- I go for Dress for Success. If it's more laid back causal Good Will or other local charity.

And I always get a reciept for my taxes. Seems to be the better way to do it for me.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
ONE TIME about 2 years ago I was able to sell about $70 worth of clothing to Plato's Closet. I was ecstatic!

Then, for whatever reason, the other times I tried to go back and sell more, they didn't want it. I couldn't get them to buy anything! It was "out of style" or "out of season" or whatever.

So, I gave up and just donate to Goodwill now. Plus, I don't think there's a Plato's Closet where I live now...

Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the input! I do donate A LOT of stuff to Salvation Army and the Veterans...so I do have tax write-off. I just put aside some of the stuff I know that Platos takes, just in case. I am going to try them today. If they are not worth the effort, I will either donate or give to someone who I know will appreciate them. They are expensive clothing and a lot of teens cannot afford it, but would love to have it, I am sure!

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
I put alot of my old clothes in some trash bags and have the Salvation Army guys come and pick them up. I've also sold some of my older BR, GAP, and even Generra apparel on Craigslist. Ebay is the last resort if i wasn't able to sell it elsewhere due to the listing fees, etc.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Yeah, Plato's didn't work out well at all. I only took seasonal clothing...all Abercrombie, Aeropostle and Hollister. One kitchen garbage bag full. They took two things and gave me a whopping 10 bucks. But, as I looked around the store, I realized they had SO much inventory, there was no way they needed more, they can't dump what they have. I checked out their prices and I can see why. C'mon, name brand or not, you are still selling used clothing...people expect lower prices. They are all at the Salvation Army's and the Goodwills!!!

Thanks for the input...I might try just selling it all on CL in a bulk lot and see how that goes...

Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Plato's Closet gets on my nerves. I've only sold stuff that I would otherwise throw away. $70 shirts that they gave me $5 for or something. They're very picky too. I'll take a whole bin full of designer clothes in and they'll take about three items. They always want jeans though!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I have sold some things on eBay, but mostly I just give to Goodwill. I don't have the time anymore to do the selling.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
They are great to shop at, and horrible to sell to.

After that one time trying, I said screw it, and held a yard sale, and sold all those clothes for $200, instead of the $25 that Plato's was trying to give me.

We were so happy with the yard sale, we were doing one twice a year, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty