Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times

Advertisements

hi --
a relative who wears a plastic brace around her calf wants to shop for dress boots with a zipper -- she thinks she'll be able to get them around her brace. she wants to hit the mall....i think this is a very low-percentage play. not to mention she needs a wide width. i really don't want to spend the day going from store to store ....

any ideas on a store that _might_ have something like this? I checked websites for macy's and dillard's and burlington coat factory (i could swear they had shoes but i didn't see any) and i didnt' see anything that might be feasible.

i'm inclined to think she'd have to go "cheap" rather than good leather expensive to make this happen...thoughts? thanks!!!

we're in houston if there's a good option....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I would call before you go and ask if they carry "wide calves" selection of boots. Some dont and some do. Zappos.com does. but you cant go and try it on really and its not cheap.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get some flowy big palazzo pants?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Just take her and let her try stuff on...then she'll see whether is works or not. After a store or two, go get lunch!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
She could try plus-size shops with boots designed for wider calves.

However, assuming her other leg is smaller and doesn't have a brace, her best bet is to get a pair without a zipper, made of a decent quality leather, and take them to a good shoe repair shop. They will be able to stretch the one boot slightly and possibly put in a discrete elastic. However, this won't work with vinyl/cheap leather.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Seriously, she's wasting her time going into stores. It's hit or miss (mostly miss). Her best bet would be footsmart.com.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 13,507 times
Try to be more optamistic about the sitution. Wearing the braces is a feat in it's. there are members of my family who are also required to wear a brace due to a neurological disorder. Try aking suggestions that will make her feel more confident ie. making the shirt she wears stand out, a funky hair cut, and some new makeup. don't call her failure before she even get an opportunity to try!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A lot of plus sized catalogs sell wide calf boots.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,507 times
Try to be more optamistic about the sitution. Wearing the braces is a feat in it's. there are members of my family who are also required to wear a brace due to a neurological disorder. Try aking suggestions that will make her feel more confident ie. making the shirt she wears stand out, a funky hair cut, and some new makeup. don't call her failure before she even get an opportunity to try!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
If this brace is only worn on one calf, I think she's going to need to have some custom work done on it to fit that leg. Fashion boots are generally designed for a close fit, and if the shaft is wide enough to go over a brace, it's not going to fit the other leg.

What you might be able to do is find one that fits without the brace, then have a boot repair shop insert elastic goring on the inseam of the one to fit over the brace.

If you shop at a good-quality, established boot shop, you should be able to buy a pair on approval. Then take them to a good repair shop (the store owner/manager can probably recommend one) and see if goring can be inserted.

When I owned a shoe store I knew of a couple shoe manufacturers that could custom make shoes, even athletic shoes, for different sized feet, etc., but I never heard of a major manufacturer who would do that with boots.

If she wanted cowboy boots, of course, that shouldn't be a problem in Houston. Lots of custom boot makers in Texas, but I don't know if any make fashion boots. Maybe you could call around and ask a few....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty