Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM

123 posts, read 409,504 times

Advertisements

Found that Rogers on a new poll is rated 10 out of the top 100 places to live in the USA off of CNN. Pretty cool to hear since I'm moving to that area. I found this poll to be much better than a recent Forbes top 100 list that seemed to rate the best cities/towns by their unemployment rates more than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,553,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
Found that Rogers on a new poll is rated 10 out of the top 100 places to live in the USA off of CNN. Pretty cool to hear since I'm moving to that area. I found this poll to be much better than a recent Forbes top 100 list that seemed to rate the best cities/towns by their unemployment rates more than anything else.
To be more specific, it was a Money Magazine ranking of best small cities in which to live. It also gave a con to each one it ranked. I found it weird that they mentioned strip malls for Rogers, as if those don't exist elsewhere.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL2718116.html

Be proud. Where I currently reside is #8.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM

99 posts, read 301,979 times
Yeah, what's up with the strip malls comment? I didn't really get that one. I would be fine with the typical stereotypes of "nothing to do" or "too many hicks in log cabins" HAH!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,195,932 times
I get so sick of how it has become popular to think strip malls, suburbs, car dependent cities are just the worst thing in the world.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,365,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I get so sick of how it has become popular to think strip malls, suburbs, car dependent cities are just the worst thing in the world.
Some people prefer a little local character and being able to walk to the store. I can't stand the way suburbs look and function. Cookie-cutter houses and having to drive everywhere is not for me.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Some people prefer a little local character and being able to walk to the store. I can't stand the way suburbs look and function. Cookie-cutter houses and having to drive everywhere is not for me.
I agree, in fact I am always surprised when I read comments like "NWA doesn't have a good mall" or why no Macy's? These are the last of my worries. On the other hand, I don't really think strip shopping is a negative. It sounds more to me like the writer had to find a negative and that was the closest he/she could find.

Nita

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,349,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, in fact I am always surprised when I read comments like "NWA doesn't have a good mall" or why no Macy's? These are the last of my worries. On the other hand, I don't really think strip shopping is a negative. It sounds more to me like the writer had to find a negative and that was the closest he/she could find.

Nita
I totally agree with you Nita. I've rented a house in your area for next week. My family in CA will be out for a visit and MOM's house can't handle that many people. I was surprised at really how reasonable it was to rent a vacation home.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I totally agree with you Nita. I've rented a house in your area for next week. My family in CA will be out for a visit and MOM's house can't handle that many people. I was surprised at really how reasonable it was to rent a vacation home.
and I bet you went through Vacation rentals? Our daughter would do this whenever she came to visit if her daughter was coming as well. We can handle a few, but not 5 or 6 extra people.

Now, our problem has been solved all together, our daughter bought a place here over Thanksgiving. She comes up about every 5 or 6 weeks. My husband watches the house when she and her other 1/2 isn't here. It is working out well plus she can have friends come up for a few days.

Nita

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,349,550 times
Yep, I always go through vacation rentals. My brother's family is about 6 and my family is 7 so that is a bit much for my parents. If I go up with more than my immediate family I get a 2 bed. house located close to Lake Avolon for the cost of a nice hotel in Bentonville or Rogers and I am just down the street from my parents.
Does your daughter rent her vacation home out? This is probably a good time to buy a second if one was.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Yep, I always go through vacation rentals. My brother's family is about 6 and my family is 7 so that is a bit much for my parents. If I go up with more than my immediate family I get a 2 bed. house located close to Lake Avolon for the cost of a nice hotel in Bentonville or Rogers and I am just down the street from my parents.
Does your daughter rent her vacation home out? This is probably a good time to buy a second if one was.
She dosen't although it crossed their minds. Vacation rentals has very strict requirements on things like decorating, towels etc. She is in to doing her own thing (by the way her place is almost a showplace) Add that to there really were not enough tax benefits for she and Steve to bother. Originally, when they bought it they had intended to rent it out.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers