Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

I went last night. The museum parking lot was not available, so people were asked to park across the street. There were four parking lots. They were packed. The museum and bus shuttles running back and forth all night long, at full capacity.

The museum itself is lovely. I fully intend to go back during the daytime, when I can fully appreciate the landscaping, but it's very true what some people have said. The museum, all 210,000 square feet, it not at all imposing. As you approach, it's very natural, the buildings feel like they belong there. It's when you get inside that you appreciate how the architecture soars. The glass, the wooden beams, set above the ponds and landscape, make you feel as if you're flying.

The museum is laid out chronologically, not just as an easy way to organize the collection, but because the historical context adds depth to the pieces when they are displayed with other artwork from the same period. I understand they currently have about 400 pieces on display, but have more than 800 other pieces so they can rotate artwork and keep the displays fresh. They've really done an excellent job representing the different periods, and also representing different mediums.

They have lots of seating, and then many alcoves stocked with books and comfortable places to simply sit back and read. It's a very inviting museum. They make a point of welcoming you, and encouraging people to take their time, to explore, to study, to enjoy. Even the restaurant has a casual ambiance, juxtaposed against stunning views.

I can't wait to go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 PM

64 posts, read 149,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I went last night. The museum parking lot was not available, so people were asked to park across the street. There were four parking lots. They were packed. The museum and bus shuttles running back and forth all night long, at full capacity.

The museum itself is lovely. I fully intend to go back during the daytime, when I can fully appreciate the landscaping, but it's very true what some people have said. The museum, all 210,000 square feet, it not at all imposing. As you approach, it's very natural, the buildings feel like they belong there. It's when you get inside that you appreciate how the architecture soars. The glass, the wooden beams, set above the ponds and landscape, make you feel as if you're flying.

The museum is laid out chronologically, not just as an easy way to organize the collection, but because the historical context adds depth to the pieces when they are displayed with other artwork from the same period. I understand they currently have about 400 pieces on display, but have more than 800 other pieces so they can rotate artwork and keep the displays fresh. They've really done an excellent job representing the different periods, and also representing different mediums.

They have lots of seating, and then many alcoves stocked with books and comfortable places to simply sit back and read. It's a very inviting museum. They make a point of welcoming you, and encouraging people to take their time, to explore, to study, to enjoy. Even the restaurant has a casual ambiance, juxtaposed against stunning views.

I can't wait to go again.
Thanks for the report, it sounds wonderful

Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Smile Congratulations NWA

How lucky you are to have Crystal Bridges. I spent a few hours at Crystal Bridges yesterday afternoon, and it is truly a lovely place. The structure itself, combined with the beautiful setting is absolutely wonderful, to say nothing of the great art collection! In my opinion, any city would be proud to have such an amazing place.

As for the crowds, we got there shortly before noon, with 12:00 tickets. We went right in, and there were really no crowds at all. We also watched a family approach the door without tickets. I heard the volunteer they were speaking with explain that timed tickets were required, but rather than turn them away, they were sent to another queue, where they were allowed to enter anyway. They came in right behind us. We stopped and had a nice lunch in the cafe, and then began our tour. By the time we really got going, there was a crowd starting to come in, but it still wasn't bad. I've definitely been in museums in large cities with much larger crowds.

The only downside we found was the audio tour. When we first started our tour we checked into get them, and they were out, so we proceeded through the first gallery without them. We then went back and they had just enough for our group, so we took them. What we discovered was that just too few of the paintings that had any info about them on the audio to make it worthwhile. After a while, we all just gave up. All in all, not a big deal though.

Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to spend exploring the outdoor areas. I think I could spend as much time outside as inside. We can't wait to go back.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,125 times
Oh it was soooo beautiful. Breathtaking building. My only regret is going at night- it was hard to see the grounds outside, which I have heard are just as awesome.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Directions were our problem. Kept driving around and seeing it but Garmin couldn't get us into the parking lot!!! We finally did and it is really neat. Worth the trip!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Our daughter and son in law are there right now. I will see her tomorrow and get a complete report.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers