Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times

Advertisements

The new Rogers Aquatic Center will be opening this May.

I was really excited about it, until I found out the rates.

Considering this was paid for by taxpayers, the costs of admission are outrageous.

If you are a Rogers resident, $12 per adult, $8 per child.

If you are not a Rogers resident, $15 per adult, $10 per child.

And the 10-pass is not much of a price break. $99 for non-residents, $85 for Rogers residents.

Considering that this is supposed to be a community pool, and that Springdale and Bentonville are considerably cheaper, these prices are totally inappropriate. Shoot, I can get a season pass with unlimited visites to Whitewater in Branson for less than it costs to use this community park.

The City of Rogers Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
I've heard it is supposed to be pretty awesome, but like you, that is getting up there in price..Think about the families with 2 or 3 kids and very little money...Hopefully they will re-consider and adjust the price downward a little.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I've heard it is supposed to be pretty awesome, but like you, that is getting up there in price..Think about the families with 2 or 3 kids and very little money...Hopefully they will re-consider and adjust the price downward a little.
When you consider that the Bentonville Aquatic Center is $1.50 admission, I'd say $12.00-$15.00 is more than getting up there. This is supposed to be a public pool, not a tourist attraction.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,926,498 times
Dang, that is pretty high. It looks pretty cool, though. Maybe that is really what they need to charge to keep it operating? Whitewater probably gets a higher volume of people buying admission. And perhaps they will adjust rates after it opens and they have a better idea of costs and the number of people who will use it.

I think I might go during twilight admission...it's cheaper and you won't get a sunburn. lol This would be like a fancy, one time a year event for our budget!

edit: I just googled the Bentonville Aquatic Center because I haven't seen it yet. It's not quite as cool looking, but fun enough...so I think we'll just stick with Bentonville!!

Also, I hope Rogers has another pool for poor kids to go to! I remember going to the city pool nearly everyday in the summer when I was a kid, but it was only like $.50 to get in. Most families couldn't send their kids to the pool for $10 a day.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,774,439 times
Ouch! I have three kids and was looking forward to it, but I don't think we can afford this. It's not as if I'd get anything out of it, I'd be looking after them all day.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Ouch! I have three kids and was looking forward to it, but I don't think we can afford this. It's not as if I'd get anything out of it, I'd be looking after them all day.
In all fariness, it is a little more than just a swimming pool, but the price is still over the top for families. Hopefully they wil adjust after they are open a few months.

Nita

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Dang, that is pretty high. It looks pretty cool, though. Maybe that is really what they need to charge to keep it operating? Whitewater probably gets a higher volume of people buying admission. And perhaps they will adjust rates after it opens and they have a better idea of costs and the number of people who will use it.

I think I might go during twilight admission...it's cheaper and you won't get a sunburn. lol This would be like a fancy, one time a year event for our budget!

edit: I just googled the Bentonville Aquatic Center because I haven't seen it yet. It's not quite as cool looking, but fun enough...so I think we'll just stick with Bentonville!!

Also, I hope Rogers has another pool for poor kids to go to! I remember going to the city pool nearly everyday in the summer when I was a kid, but it was only like $.50 to get in. Most families couldn't send their kids to the pool for $10 a day.
Nope, Rogers doesn't have another pool. They destroyed the old pool when they decided to "upgrade" Lake Atalanta.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,774,439 times
I just looked into beginners swimming lessons this summer for my two girls. They do lessons at the Aquatic Center at a reasonable price ($70 first child, $55 second for eight 45 minute group lessons), but entry to the park is extra so the whole thing would cost us $349. Who can afford that???

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I just looked into beginners swimming lessons this summer for my two girls. They do lessons at the Aquatic Center at a reasonable price ($70 first child, $55 second for eight 45 minute group lessons), but entry to the park is extra so the whole thing would cost us $349. Who can afford that???
The problem is that they took public funding to build and operate the Aquatic Center, but they seem to think it's a tourist attraction rather than a public facility. The worst part of it is that they've priced it beyond the means of the majority of Rogers' citizens, but the citizens who can afford it have no need for it. Most of the high-priced neighborhoods have pools and playgrounds reserved for residents of the neighborhoods, or many of these people have pools in their own backyards. When I was a kid, we were at Lake Atalanta at least 2 to 3 times a week. That's the idea of a public pool. The City of Rogers has lost perspective on this.

PS Penguin, have you checked into swimming lessons at the Bentonville Aquatic Park? Their pricing is in line with what a public pool should be, and as far as I know, they don't charge extra for guests from outside Bentonville.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 AM

There was an article in our paper today or a quote from the director of Parks who says, when people see the park they will not think the fees are too high. Well how does he think the average family, with a couple of kids will be able to afford the pool very often..I didn't think this was supposed to be another Wet and Wild amusment part of some kind. My guess, the city will be forced to lower their prices some, how much I don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers