Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,775 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am thinking of putting in an application to a place in my field near Bentonsville. I realize it is only an application and that it is no guarantee of anything. However, I'm not sure I even want to spend the time on the application packet if I would not like the area. If that makes sense.

I have lived a number of places in my life including overseas. Currently I live in the DC metro area and love it. It does have cons, though, including extremely high cost of living and horrendous traffic. The biggest pro is, that as a single woman in her 30's who is both wanting to stay active in her lifestyle and also looking for a partner, there doesn't seem to be a weekend in which there is not either something fun and active to do with a local meetup group, or a date, or both. I prefer to stay active, outdoorsy though not extreme, busy, and keep my calendar full. I enjoy the occasional night in for down time and recharge time, but the DC area has not disappointed in the social aspect. I have been able to meet many interesting and fun people who have similar interests and am finally starting to feel settled--I have a church now and a regular meetup group I attend and have been on a number of dates with men up my alley. There is always something to do that I find interesting and fun even if it is alone.I have also found more than enough outlets for the arts and music to participate in.

However, I am not happy at work and have been actively looking for a better job for two years. I enjoy my field, but not the local company culture at my position. I am an elementary teacher at an independent school. I am looking for a better fit at a more diverse and progressive/modern school and a school which has a bit more money it can afford to pay teachers. Basically, I'm looking to step up now that I have the magic 3-5 years teaching experience. Even if I end up getting married someday (I am divorced), it is my plan to continue working so I am looking for a long-term fit (I am not looking to be a SAHM, not that that is bad, but going through a divorce and losing everything financially--no, I am not paid alimony, nor did I want to be, and I paid for everything myself to get out of my abusive marriage--made me decide that I will always have my own income stream, regardless of if I have children, which I do want). DC is also ripe with opportunity which is one reason I moved here three years ago. However, I am not opposed to moving if the right opportunity came up.

The job in AR is attractive to me and I have not been able to shake the feeling that perhaps I should apply for this position because it would be an excellent fit for school culture from what I can tell and I would have a good chance at landing an interview, but I am not sure I would enjoy living in the area socially.

Can singles with similar life views let me know what it is like there? I know the cost of living is much lower which would be a huge plus, even on the same salary it would be like getting an enormous raise. How is the scene specifically for the arts, museums, and outdoor activitiy such as hiking, photography, and getting outside? Are there a lot of singles or is it more of a married with kids kind of an area?

Last edited by Inacitysomewhere; 01-27-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Hi all,
I am thinking of putting in an application to a place in my field near Bentonsville. I realize it is only an application and that it is no guarantee of anything. However, I'm not sure I even want to spend the time on the application packet if I would not like the area. If that makes sense.

I have lived a number of places in my life including overseas. Currently I live in the DC metro area and love it. It does have cons, though, including extremely high cost of living and horrendous traffic. The biggest pro is, that as a single woman in her 30's who is both wanting to stay active in her lifestyle and also looking for a partner, there doesn't seem to be a weekend in which there is not either something fun and active to do with a local meetup group, or a date, or both. I prefer to stay active, outdoorsy though not extreme, busy, and keep my calendar full. I enjoy the occasional night in for down time and recharge time, but the DC area has not disappointed in the social aspect. I have been able to meet many interesting and fun people who have similar interests and am finally starting to feel settled--I have a church now and a regular meetup group I attend and have been on a number of dates with men up my alley. There is always something to do that I find interesting and fun even if it is alone.I have also found more than enough outlets for the arts and music to participate in.

However, I am not happy at work and have been actively looking for a better job for two years. I enjoy my field, but not the local company culture at my position. I am an elementary teacher at an independent school. I am looking for a better fit at a more diverse and progressive/modern school and a school which has a bit more money it can afford to pay teachers. Basically, I'm looking to step up now that I have the magic 3-5 years teaching experience. Even if I end up getting married someday (I am divorced), it is my plan to continue working so I am looking for a long-term fit (I am not looking to be a SAHM, not that that is bad, but going through a divorce and losing everything financially--no, I am not paid alimony, nor did I want to be, and I paid for everything myself to get out of my abusive marriage--made me decide that I will always have my own income stream, regardless of if I have children, which I do want). DC is also ripe with opportunity which is one reason I moved here three years ago. However, I am not opposed to moving if the right opportunity came up.

The job in AR is attractive to me and I have not been able to shake the feeling that perhaps I should apply for this position because it would be an excellent fit for school culture from what I can tell and I would have a good chance at landing an interview, but I am not sure I would enjoy living in the area socially.

Can singles with similar life views let me know what it is like there? I know the cost of living is much lower which would be a huge plus, even on the same salary it would be like getting an enormous raise. How is the scene specifically for the arts, museums, and outdoor activitiy such as hiking, photography, and getting outside? Are there a lot of singles or is it more of a married with kids kind of an area?
Having lived in the DC area as well as other major cities I can guarantee you there is plenty of outdoor activities compared to a lot of places and they are almost in your back yard. yes, we do have arts, museums , fine dining and about everything you have in DC except at a slower pace and a little bit less.

Would it give you the same feeling as living in the DC area, maybe but most are not bored here. As for singles versus families it depends on there you live in NWA. Just like DC only on a smaller scale: if you live in DC proper you have more singles compared to living in say, NO VA. Living here, you choose one of the neighborhoods close to a downtown area, like Fayetteville, Bentonville or Rogers you will find a singles vibe; living in Centerton, BV, and parts of the other cities, more in the burbs you will find families.

I am sure, if you do get an interview you will have enough time to spend an extra day or two here and judge for yourself. Good luck!!!!

Old 01-27-2018, 01:37 PM

68 posts, read 59,026 times
I am around your age, but married, although several of my friends are single. I would probably recommend living in Fayetteville, if it is not too far, as there seem to be more single individuals (although most in their 20s) there. I would say Bentonville and Rogers has more of a married with kids vibe. I will say I have had a few single, female friends who have moved to Fayetteville hoping to meet someone and each of them has since moved on to a bigger city because they found it too difficult. However, I have also had a few friends who have lived in huge cities their whole life and it took coming to this area to find their partner. Having lived in very large and very small cities, I am a huge proponent of "blooming where you are planted." I think you should come visit and see for yourself!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaMarieB View Post
I am around your age, but married, although several of my friends are single. I would probably recommend living in Fayetteville, if it is not too far, as there seem to be more single individuals (although most in their 20s) there. I would say Bentonville and Rogers has more of a married with kids vibe. I will say I have had a few single, female friends who have moved to Fayetteville hoping to meet someone and each of them has since moved on to a bigger city because they found it too difficult. However, I have also had a few friends who have lived in huge cities their whole life and it took coming to this area to find their partner. Having lived in very large and very small cities, I am a huge proponent of "blooming where you are planted." I think you should come visit and see for yourself!
Fayetteville is a great choice. I still think there are a few other places worth considering including living near the square in Bentonville. Lots of singles work for WalMart and it isn't that far from the headquarters.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 PM

68 posts, read 59,026 times
That's a good point about the Bentonville square, I'm sure there are a lot of singles around that area, I just am not as familiar with Bentonville.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,415 times
Traffic is heavy most all times. Way too many people not really quiet. If you want a lot of busy busy it will work. If you want country quiet not the place to be.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonharley View Post
Traffic is heavy most all times. Way too many people not really quiet. If you want a lot of busy busy it will work. If you want country quiet not the place to be.
Northwest Arkansas encompasses more than I-49.

Traffic is heavy during rush hour. Not so much at other times. There are lots of rural areas in Northwest Arkansas that are country quiet.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,912 times
I'm 32, male. I met plenty of girls 27-35 that are attractive and intelligent and successful. Some of them I kept up with, some of them not. They met other guys who they liked and spoke well of, so I presume dating isnt had here for women, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers