Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 12,587 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Fayetteville for school and we are trying to find a house to rent. We want a house that is pet friendly with a fenced yard. We are looking for a 3 bedroom house since we have a daughter and may have another child while we are in school. Our daughter will not be of school age while we are there so school district quality is not important to us. Can anyone give me information about what parts of town to avoid and which ones are good? Also are there any good leasing companies we could work with or are we better off finding a house on craigslist? We are ok with living in one of the towns close by, but we don't want to get too far out since we will be spending most of our time at the school. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 PM

99 posts, read 301,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acup313 View Post
My wife and I are moving to Fayetteville for school and we are trying to find a house to rent. We want a house that is pet friendly with a fenced yard. We are looking for a 3 bedroom house since we have a daughter and may have another child while we are in school. Our daughter will not be of school age while we are there so school district quality is not important to us. Can anyone give me information about what parts of town to avoid and which ones are good? Also are there any good leasing companies we could work with or are we better off finding a house on craigslist? We are ok with living in one of the towns close by, but we don't want to get too far out since we will be spending most of our time at the school. Thanks for any help you can give.
3 bedroom places to rent are everywhere in fayetteville and fay is by far the best city to find a rental in so i would stick with it. a rental that has a fenced yard really narrows it down almost a little too much. there are quite a number of pet-friendly rentals that don't have fenced yards so you might consider that option - parks are everywhere so you could use that to entertain your pet. you may try new developments off porter road west of i-540. you could also look into rentals on salem road off wedington. the neighborhood there isn't as nice but would be much cheaper (the closer you get to wedington on salem the less safe but overall fay is relatively a safe town with little to worry about). i would avoid the southeast corner of fay. anywhere within walking distance of the university is going to a bit more but there are a number of reasonably cheap places as long as they're not RIGHT next to the university. not sure about good leasing companies - i never had a problem with coldwell-banker or remax though. farmington would be the only city i would recommend just for the shortest commute outside the city (besides johnson which is barely a city) but i do know many who have commuted every day from bentonville, rogers, and springdale in 15-35 minutes or so depending on the time of day.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM

602 posts, read 1,517,014 times
Now's a good time to secure your rental. There are plenty of 3 bedroom homes, some with fenced yards.

My suggestion--make a weekend trip, drive around campus and look for "for rent" signs.

You've have a couple of choices: walking distance to campus; on the bus route; or drive-in to campus.

For walking distance you're probably want to keep your boundaries-Cleveland St/North St. to the North; Oliver St (and other streets off of Razorback Rd) to the West; MLK, Jr. to the South, and even as far as College Ave. to the East (this allows for some smaller homes around the park).

For Bus Routes: You could extend off Garland St (I would go to far OFF of Garland as some of the neighborhoods have gone downhill).

If you want to drive in for class, many people live in Farmington. I will tell you the traffic is bumper to bumper coming in from Farmington to the bypass weekdays from around 7:30 am-8:30 am.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Oh my, I forgot 6th st. changed its name to MLK. Probably a good FYI since most locals still refer to it as 6th st. (it's just the street that forms the southern border to the university).

Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM

119 posts, read 346,361 times
I agree with ourgreatescape, a trip to town to look around and find properties with for-rent signs would be worth it. Similar to other college towns many landlords are small time, maybe with just one or a very few properties...they tend to not advertise and rely on word of mouth and a sign in the yard. Craigslist tends to be overpriced and has limited listings...the classifieds are somewhat better.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,560 times
Don't forget to get BBQ at Lucky Lou's.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Don't forget to get BBQ at Lucky Lou's.
Isn't it Lucky Luke's? I prefer Penguin Ed's anyways, especially the original where you can sit down, pick up the phone at your table and order on Archibald Yell off the square

Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM

12 posts, read 25,647 times
Default UA Graduation is today, rentals soon available

May is the month that folks graduate from UA, and by June 1 lots and lots of rentals will be available. I would plan my trip for the first week in June and get the lay of the land, then rent.

Many students use the bus routes, Razorback Transit and Ozark Transit, as parking on campus is typical of large universities (expensive and lots of walking to the various classes). Places convenient to the bus stops on the bus routes may be a big plus for you.

Not many rental house have fenced-in back yards, but landlords might be convinced to add one to get you to sign a lease.

I would personally avoid most of the developments off of Wedington west of 540, even though the price is right.

Good luck!!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkBoy View Post

I would personally avoid most of the developments off of Wedington west of 540, even though the price is right.
Just gotta know where the patches are and have some street smarts. Still prob the best shot for a rental with a yard. Meadowlands is good for that but is party central

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 12,587 times
Thank you for all of the help. I think I will be going to Fayetteville at the beginning of July to look for a house, unless we sell our current one sooner. I currently live in Houston so I am not really worried about traffic or living in a bad part of town, because where I live now is definitely not the greatest. So, do you think when I go down there I will be able to get a feel for the quality of the area by looking, or should I try to get one of the current grad students to go with me who may know the area better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers