Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,242,618 times

Advertisements

I have tried many times to find out details about this painting, with no success. I thought someone here may know something.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone identify this painting?  Is it Cubist, Picasso?-picassos-lost-painting.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
It definitely is Picasso's style, yes, although I've never seen that particular work and couldn't say whether it's actually Picasso. It's not cubist, though. That painting is later than cubism. Cubism is around 1920, when Picasso was with Marcelle Humbert. This is later, maybe around the time of Dora Maar, maybe in the 1930s.

Why are you asking? How exactly have you been trying to find out?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It definitely is Picasso's style, yes, although I've never seen that particular work and couldn't say whether it's actually Picasso. It's not cubist, though. That painting is later than cubism. Cubism is around 1920, when Picasso was with Marcelle Humbert. This is later, maybe around the time of Dora Maar, maybe in the 1930s.

Why are you asking? How exactly have you been trying to find out?
There was a Picasso painting on board the SwissAir flight that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago. I saved that image on my computer at the time, not sure if it was the one that was lost or not. I even had it as my desktop background for several years. I thought that I would easily be able to identify it.

Over the years, I've tried several times to find the name, artist, and date using the internet and several search engines. No luck so far. So when I saw this forum, I thought I would give it a go.

Still no luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
have you tried taking it to a museum or an art dealer

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
It looks like there's a signature in the lower center of the painting. It's too small to read, but it doesn't look unlike Picasso's signature. Those are easily forged, though.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
There was a Picasso painting on board the SwissAir flight that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago. I saved that image on my computer at the time, not sure if it was the one that was lost or not. I even had it as my desktop background for several years. I thought that I would easily be able to identify it.

Over the years, I've tried several times to find the name, artist, and date using the internet and several search engines. No luck so far. So when I saw this forum, I thought I would give it a go.

Sorry, it's still not clear to me what your goal is. Are you just trying to find out the title of this out of curiosity? Or are you trying to find out what painting was on the SwissAir flight? Either way, since it sounds like you have really put in some time and effort, why not go to the experts, maybe starting with the Picasso museum?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 28,623 times
Default I do not think it is Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I have tried many times to find out details about this painting, with no success. I thought someone here may know something.

Thanks.
...............the balance is not Picasso.........just a hunch

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, it's still not clear to me what your goal is. Are you just trying to find out the title of this out of curiosity? Or are you trying to find out what painting was on the SwissAir flight? Either way, since it sounds like you have really put in some time and effort, why not go to the experts, maybe starting with the Picasso museum?
Both, really. I've found the name of the one on the SwissAir flight, but I don't remember it right now. I want to say it's Le Peintre, which doesn't seem to be right for that painting. I've never found an image of it. I don't know why there was never a picture of it in any of the articles about the SwissAir flight.

It's more out of idle curiosity, and I'm not inclined to make a major issue of it. I do really like the painting though, and I'd like to know what it is. It's been so long since I saved the image originally that I don't even remember where I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts