Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM

83 posts, read 511,631 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be staying in Sedona for four nights, and are wondering if it will be to long of a day to drive to the Grand Canyon. I was thinking of going north from Sedona on the 89 towards Cameron to the 64, and coming back either through Williams or taking the 180 to Flagstaff then back to Sedona.

Is this to much for one day? Is the route I've described scenic? Should we arrange things to stay over in GC before or after our Sedona visit instead? (already have place reserved and paid for in Sedona)

If we stayed in GC first, then went to Sedona would it really be a let down as I read in another thread?

We are on a budget and celebrating 25 years Any low budget ideas welcome. Already on my list of things to do - Slide Rock, Montezuma, Red Rock, and maybe a Pink Jeep Tour. And lots of walking/hiking.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Best experience is probably book a ride on that train that leaves from Williams. From Sedona you can drive to Williams in the morning (little over an hour) train leaves at 9:30 am arrives I think 11:30 at Grand Canyon. You get a few hours at the Grand Canyon, can be back to Sedona for dinner.

Train = http://www.thetrain.com/

Also there is some bear thing in Williams that I read is pretty cool, but haven't done. Maybe check it out: http://www.bearizona.com/

Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I agree with SlackJaw, CatLady . . .

The Grand Canyon Railway Train Trip Grand Canyon Railway - The Official Site is the best way to experience the Canyon.

In addition to just the train trip, AAA offers packages on The Train that includes an overnight stay at the Depot Hotel in Williams plus the train allowing you to check-in the afternoon before, spend the night and board the train in the morning. You'll be back in Williams by about 5PM which is plenty of time to drive back to Sedona.

Good Luck and ENJOY.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 AM

267 posts, read 692,877 times
On the cheap side, you could check in advance for ranger programs... free is a good price. Browsing some of the older hotels on the rim is neat.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
Be aware the train is interesting but pricey.
Also lodging at the south rim and in the town of Tuscyan just outside the canyon is limited and booked in advance at times.
You may find the mule ride into the canyon very interesting and scenic. The mules do have weight limits however depending on your size. Do not hike into the canyon unless you are in good shape and used to altitude. The south rim is at some 7000' is case you don't know.
Enjoy your trip. We live just 127 miles from the gate to the canyon and go there often just to have lunch or dinner.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
The canyon will be an easy day trip from Sedona if you drive. Since you're pressed for time, forget the train. It takes up way too much time and isn't particularly interesting in my opinion. (Yes, I've done it.)

Did somebody really say Sedona was a letdown after the Grand Canyon? That's a pretty odd remark. They're both wonderful places in completely different ways.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
We used Sedona as our base for a trip to the Grand Canyon. It was a very easy drive. Honestly, the Grand Canyon was interesting for a couple of hours, but we really enjoyed Sedona. Instead of the Jeep tour we rented ATV's and took a tour. Lots of fun.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM

83 posts, read 511,631 times
Quote:
Best experience is probably book a ride on that train that leaves from Williams. From Sedona you can drive to Williams in the morning (little over an hour) train leaves at 9:30 am arrives I think 11:30 at Grand Canyon. You get a few hours at the Grand Canyon, can be back to Sedona for dinner.
That was what I was looking to do at first, but had decided against it because of the cost. (I wanted to do the three night stay deal.) I found a place to stay in Sedona four only 300/4nights, with good reviews - so I had a hard time justifying the train trip this year

Quote:
On the cheap side, you could check in advance for ranger programs... free is a good price. Browsing some of the older hotels on the rim is neat.
Good idea - we love free
Quote:

Did somebody really say Sedona was a letdown after the Grand Canyon?
Yes, on another thread. My husband says how long can you look at a pothole, lol.

Quote:
We used Sedona as our base for a trip to the Grand Canyon. It was a very easy drive. Honestly, the Grand Canyon was interesting for a couple of hours, but we really enjoyed Sedona. Instead of the Jeep tour we rented ATV's and took a tour. Lots of fun.
Awesome, do you mind sharing what company you used. ATV tour sounds like a lot more fun!

Thanks All!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,624 times
We were in Sedona last month and took the car trip to the Grand Canyon. Actually we drove to Tusayan, went to the IMAX theater and caught the free shuttle bus to the Grand Canyon Visitors Center (the entrance to the Grand Canyon was also free - although typically $25 a carload). I definitely recommend the drive to Flagstaff (up Oak Creek Canyon) then I-40 west to Williams as THE route. The other way back takes you into Flagstaff but I have been on that road and it's not designed for speed. I would count on about 2-3 hours driving each way so that's 6 hours out of the day. How long do you plan to spend at the Canyon??? Once you are at the GCVC you can drive or ride the busses (free). There are several routes to different areas. If you insist on a one day trip; pick out two or three places you absolutely want to see because that's about all the time you'll have). There are places to eat in the Village (ice cream, lunch, dinner, etc) but they are a little expensive. My husband was pretty much - once you have seen one part, the rest is about the same. The Canyon does change minute by minute. Have fun!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
Easy day drive, and a nice one, at that. Just circumvent Oak Creek Canyon north and hit I17 out of the town of Oak Creek. That will cut out some time, and it's a pretty quick drive to the south rim. Only takes 2 hours roughly. Leave early, stop in Williams and grab a coffee along Rte 66, and you can see the Grand Canyon Railway depot right there. Keep your eyes peeled once in GC Park for elk, you can see them right off the main drag, usually. On the way back, come back down through Oak Creek Canyon, and take your time. It should be around sunset when you make this drive, and the colors coming into the canyon are amazing. Perfect way to cap off an awesome day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona