Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Gainesville 10 50.00%
Tallahassee 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Which would you prefer as a single, mid 30s straight male grad student?

and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 61,740 times
Default It's a toss up for me

I lived in Tally for 7 yrs (91-98) and have lived in Gville since 98. Although I'm barely a 40 somthing mother of 4, I have enjoyed (and still do) the nightlife scene. So for a 30 something male grad student looking for nightlife, either town would offer good options. In Tally, I loved going to Bullwinkles - great live music and a variety of older and younger folks. Here in Gville, the Market St Pub is a winner for the same reasons. In fact, I met my current husband there (so true love can occasionally be found in a bar)

Both towns have natural beauty, however I noticed that Gville charges a fee to enjoy many of their parks, whereas Tally seemed to have more options to enjoy nature for free (might be the fact that the state capital is there).

Traffic is similar, with rush hour being the only major issue. Tally gets bad on I-10 and Gville is bad on Newberry Rd.

Right now the housing market is ridiculously high in Gville - not sure what it's like in Tally. Apts are also pricey in Gville, especially if you wish to live alone.

Both towns offer all the amenities of a city but with a small town feel.

I hope this info has been useful.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
it has

was in Gainesville a few weeks ago, and it really seems geared more towards the younger set.

nice town though

tally seems to have more for older people, but i havnt spent very much time there.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
I think you need to look at this two ways:

Gainesville and Tallahassee are pretty similar. But if all you were concerned about was the immediate town and jobs, then Tallahassee is somewhat better as the capital is there and the job market is somewhat more diversified than Gainesville.

The big problem with Tallahassee is its location. It's in the middle of nowhere. Any big city stuff is in Jacksonville over 3 hours away. Gainesville on the other hand is in a very central location for day trips. It's 2 hours or less to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Ocala, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 88,487 times
Overall , Tallahassee is a better city. If you want that "Atlanta" feeling Tallahassee is that Atlanta feeling in a smaller way. Our Biggest building are highrise that range from 16 stories to 24 storis in Tallahassee. Gainesville's biggest building is a low-rise 10 story seagle building , which is on the outskirts of this so called "Gainesville's Downtown". Last time I went to Gainesville the biggest building I seen that was STILL IN OPERATION was Shands Medical Hospital which is PRETTY sad , seeing its only 7 floors. Trust me , you are not going to get a big city feeling in Gainesville. I really dont see why University of Florida was put in Gainesville. Florida State University being put in Tallahassee was not a bad idea but , UF in Gainesville? Come on. Anyways , Tallahassee is your best bet.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeMan View Post
Overall , Tallahassee is a better city. If you want that "Atlanta" feeling Tallahassee is that Atlanta feeling in a smaller way. Our Biggest building are highrise that range from 16 stories to 24 storis in Tallahassee. Gainesville's biggest building is a low-rise 10 story seagle building , which is on the outskirts of this so called "Gainesville's Downtown". Last time I went to Gainesville the biggest building I seen that was STILL IN OPERATION was Shands Medical Hospital which is PRETTY sad , seeing its only 7 floors. Trust me , you are not going to get a big city feeling in Gainesville. I really dont see why University of Florida was put in Gainesville. Florida State University being put in Tallahassee was not a bad idea but , UF in Gainesville? Come on. Anyways , Tallahassee is your best bet.
The OP was two years ago, they probably have made up their mind by now.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
go gators baby,chop chop.see ya at the swamp tallahassee.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
lol @ Tallahassee being smaller Atlanta... actually lol @ all the posts in this thread except logybogy...that is the reality of it....seems like this post was bumped to rep tallahassee for some odd reason.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeMan View Post
I really dont see why University of Florida was put in Gainesville. Florida State University being put in Tallahassee was not a bad idea but , UF in Gainesville? Come on. Anyways , Tallahassee is your best bet.
My guess would be the same reasons the University of Georgia is in Athens, The University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa, Auburn University is in Auburn, AL, The University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville, The University of Kentucky is in Lexington... It's the SEC, The largest City in the SEC is Nashville with a city/county population of roughly 625k.

Usually, State Universities are put in the middle of nowhere on land donated by the state.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
My guess would be the same reasons the University of Georgia is in Athens, The University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa, Auburn University is in Auburn, AL, The University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville, The University of Kentucky is in Lexington... It's the SEC, The largest City in the SEC is Nashville with a city/county population of roughly 625k.

Usually, State Universities are put in the middle of nowhere on land donated by the state.
yup they are college towns, cheaper land, try to give a more academic environment and cater to the crowd. Easier to do in smaller cities. College towns definitely are different than normal functioning cities that don't have so much university influence. Nashville, I thought was bigger...seems bigger than that! Definitely didn't feel a college town vibe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida