Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,279 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Thank you for reading my post

I just received a job offer in Eglin AFB and need to make an important decision about relocating my family to the new work place. I have never been to Eglin AFB before and don't know anything about this area. I researched and found that Crestview is ideal location to buy a house. It is located inland, away from direct hit by the Huricane and has less fighter jet noise. Housing and Insurance are cheaper than Ft. Walton Beach or Niceville area. Most of the information I read over the internet were posted in 2006-2008. Are these information still valid for 2009?

Can anyone tell me how long it will take to commute from Crestview to the Base? How is the daily traffic on I-85? Do I have to worry about flooding and huricane if I reside in Fort Walton Beach or Niceville area?

How is the job market in the private sector? My wife has a degree in Finance and wants to find a job in accounting or tax audit. What is the chance of finding works in these areas?

Any information that you can offer is greatly appreciated. Sorry for asking too many questions. I need to get as much information as I can before making the final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I'm not a huge Crestview fan unless you're looking for country living- poorly thought out to the point of urban sprawl hell, five degrees hotter in summer and five degrees colder in winter (it gets a lot more nights below freezing than the coast does) and you have to seriously drive in order to get to what makes the area unique.

As for hurricanes, the damage doesn't just stop five miles from the coast. You can still see significant damage 100 miles or more inland. The direct air speeds fall off at that point, but there are still pop up tornadoes and flooding rain. Okaloosa County has some flood/surge maps up here:

Welcome to Public Safety GIS

Whita areas are considered to not be in a flood zone. There are also areas near the rivers in Crestview that will flood during a bad spring rainstorm. (A couple times a spring or summer, we'll get 10+ inches of rain in 24 hours)

Housing prices have fallen since the peak in 2006, but not as much as in other parts of the state. Median resale price of a single family home in Okaloosa County in May was $197K. (Which counts as, oddly enough, the second most expensive housing market in the state after West Palm Beach) If you're looking to sell in 3-5 years, homes south of I-10 are seen as more likely to hold value well than homes north of I-10 because they're scarcer and the commute is better.

Have your wife apply for every civil service status candidate and contracting position she seems elgible for. The white collar sector off base can be very hard to break into if you don't have local good ole boy credentials. It's not impossible, but it's not easy. If she's headed toward a CPA, there are a couple of financial services companies that occasionally hire outsiders.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,913 times
Hello There!

As well as being a military spouse living in the Crestview area, I am also a Realtor with Keller WIlliams Realty Emerald Coast. I love it in Crestview. My husband and I bought a home here a year ago, and got an amazing bargain. The person who posted above is correct in saying that Crestview has a more "Small Town Feel", but Niceville does as well. Niceville is closer to Destin. There's a large selection of short sale homes available across the Crestview/Niceville/ Ft. Walton Beach area. Short sales really can be an amazing bargain, but can sometimes take several months to go to closing. I have a contact who might be able to help your wife with a job. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-20-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 28,393 times
I was in texas when I was moving to Eglin afb- and I found cayograndeapartment.com- i say--- bad idea--- it's better to use a realtor and get her to look for you-

O- and in my opinion... I really don't like crestview... because there is only one highway to get back and forth.... and if some idiot gets into a wreck....everyone gets backed up-

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-14-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Soliciting/Email Address better to contact via Direct Message.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 28,393 times
As for your wife...and job...the jobs here are like ****... In austin,tx there were so many jobs for me- but here in fort walton, navarre, crestview, destin...it's more of a scenic place...with a lot of seniors.... i had to go look at pensacola for a job...and your wife may want to search there first... they pay a lot better too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida