Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 35,087 times

Advertisements

Hi! I would love some advice about moving to Florida. I've seen some of these relocation posts rub some of the current residents the wrong way, so I will try to keep away from the common faux pas' I've noticed .

We will be moving down to Florida next month. My parents bought a "vacation" home in Cape Coral last year and we will be living there until we have established ourselves financially and found a place we love. I don't want to rain on their parade, but from what I've read on the boards here, I'm getting the impression that Cape Coral is not going to be for me. I haven't lived there yet so I haven't written it off completely, but I still want to look around either way. Ultimately I would like to be no more than an hour's drive away, but am willing to pass up on that for the right place.

What I need is a jumping off point for my research and homework. If you guys could give me some suggestions I would really appreciate it. First off, my number one priority is good schools. My daughter will be three soon, so ultimately I would like a district that's great from elementary to high school. I am realistic on what to expect from any school, and firmly believe that you get what you put into it as far as schools are concerned, so while I wouldn't turn down the best school in the state I mainly want a decent school with good teachers, programs etc.

I can only assume that safety is in everyone's criteria, but I'll throw it in the mix anyway. A beach is NOT necessary, and I'm looking for a more family-oriented suburban feel. Nothing TOO rural, or TOO urban, though I'm more than willing to look into anything. I've lived in all kinds of areas so I have experience with both, and know they each have their perks. That being said, I would still like to not have to drive more than 20 minutes to stores, shops, restaurants.

Oh I guess I should mention my husband is in the restaurant industry. He has been managing/running all different kinds or restaurants for the last 20 years, from Taco Bell, to a Bar & Grill, to steakhouses, to Applebee's.

If there was something else I should have added, I'm sorry, just let me know! Thank you in advance with anything and everything you can help me out with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
You might look at Fort Myers. Check out Allen Park Elementary which is "A" rated and feeds into Fort Myers High (also "A" rated) which is also one of the best high schools in the state.

Allen Park
Fort Myers High School Homepage

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM

15 posts, read 35,087 times
Thank you! I will definitely start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida