Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM

20 posts, read 13,408 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a city that will fit my wife and myself in Florida. We like the beach but not every day and its not important to be three min. from one. We like quaint historic down towns that have been revitalized or are maintained. We want to look for a place that will rebound but at the same time we can take advantage of the down turn in home prices right now. Work is something that we can live with out having high end jobs. We have investments that can pay for our bills except for health care which my wife usually provides with her work, I.E. banking, escrow officer, accounting. We looked at Fort Myers and it was nice but crowded, Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was very nice but along with FM it is a bit far south and I have not decided if that's a bad thing. Looked at Mount Dora and Leesberg and like what I see on line but know nothing of them. We do not want to live in a one horse town that is not at least close to a town that has things like comedy clubs and community theater and the like. I have heard a lot about the Ocala and surrounding areas, but know nothing of them. Any help in educating me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
St Petersburg/Clearwater area fits much of your criteria, Once north of the Clearwater area beaches become few and far between till you get up into the panhandle..

http://www.stpete.org/events/

Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 AM

I have heard of Clear water Saint Peters berg. I have a brother who went last winter to Holiday/Bonita springs and said it was very nice. I may give it a second look. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Try looking into Deland or Winter Garden. Nice quaint towns with housing deals still available and near Orlando.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 PM

179 posts, read 566,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspartyhouse View Post
I am looking for a city that will fit my wife and myself in Florida. We like the beach but not every day and its not important to be three min. from one. We like quaint historic down towns that have been revitalized or are maintained. We want to look for a place that will rebound but at the same time we can take advantage of the down turn in home prices right now. Work is something that we can live with out having high end jobs. We have investments that can pay for our bills except for health care which my wife usually provides with her work, I.E. banking, escrow officer, accounting. We looked at Fort Myers and it was nice but crowded, Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was very nice but along with FM it is a bit far south and I have not decided if that's a bad thing. Looked at Mount Dora and Leesberg and like what I see on line but know nothing of them. We do not want to live in a one horse town that is not at least close to a town that has things like comedy clubs and community theater and the like. I have heard a lot about the Ocala and surrounding areas, but know nothing of them. Any help in educating me would be greatly appreciated.

With what you are looking for, I would suggest looking into Melbourne, it's allowing you access to all the amenities with a short commute, but giving you the option of a city or rural residence. And if you choose to visit the larger cities, Orlando, West Palm Beach, and alike are all within a couple hours drive.
You also are close enough to I-95, so travel to places like Ft Lauderdale, and the Keys, are not a problem.
Just check out: Official website of the City of Melbourne, Florida

hope you like it, good luck!!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM

179 posts, read 566,182 times
Also try this site:
This one will give a little history and a better idea of the attractions:

For visitors <just click on the "for visitors"

Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
New Smyrna Beach is a nice option as well. The beach is beautiful, the downtown area is very well established/thriving and it's housing market is fairly affordable.

New Smyrna Beach Visitors Bureau
New Smyrna Beach, FL - Official Website

Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I agree about Melbourne or perhaps Vero Beach. I think St. Pete/Clearwater is way too crowded for you based on your posts.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 PM

501 posts, read 1,883,100 times
Finding historic homes or main street areas is a challenge in FL -- as most of it was developed after WWII! There are a few areas that have these and were because of the Railways. The ones listed below meet your OP request:
Miconopy
DeLand
New Smyrna Beach
Fernandina Beach
St Augustine
Daytona Beach (Beach St + Seabreeze + Uptown neighborhoods)
Lake Worth (College Park neighborhood)
Lake Wales (Orlando entertainment)
Hollywood (Young Circle area)
Bartow (Lakeland/Tampa entertainment)
Atlantic Beach
Winter Park
Ft White (Gainesville entertainment)
Key West

Good Luck!

Florida Trust for Historic Preservation (http://www.floridatrust.org/homeownerresources.php - broken link)

Last edited by daytonadewd; 05-31-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM

another question, how do you go about looking in an area if you have no friends or family there? Do you rent for a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida