Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,195,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
..sounds like he didn't do anything to create GOVERMENT jobs..which is good. The country is trying to figure out how to have LESS of those.
Would love to hear how having fewer government jobs is "good" since fat cat CEOs have outsourced most other jobs overseas. Are you referring to more service industry jobs paying $8 an hour? Because that seems to be the only other alternative available. Or better yet perhaps we can become more of a militaristic country by increasing our military budget so we can accommodate more of the unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM

181 posts, read 291,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Would love to hear how having fewer government jobs is "good" since fat cat CEOs have outsourced most other jobs overseas. Are you referring to more service industry jobs paying $8 an hour? Because that seems to be the only other alternative available. Or better yet perhaps we can become more of a militaristic country by increasing our military budget so we can accommodate more of the unemployed.
I see that the private sector is the bad guy in your world..the government is your trusted friend..good luck with that.

..and I'm IN the service industry..always have been..make a pretty good living...don't intend to change anything.

No..we need to cut the military some as well..and definitely cut OFF umemployment..that just encourages people to quit looking for work..and be freeloaders.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM

"Fat Cats"

..love that..try becoming one instead of getting angry at other's success..or maybe even a chubby cat..you might like it.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,218,968 times
Quote:
"Fat Cats"

..love that..try becoming one instead of getting angry at other's success..or maybe even a chubby cat..you might like it.
I don't mean this directly at anybody in particular...but I think some of the disconnect we see is that many who were formally educated, and spent a lot of money on it, were never educated on how to truly innovate in society. So, there is this bitterness that occurs because "nobody taught me how to make lots of money like that fat cat CEO".

Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I don't mean this directly at anybody in particular...but I think some of the disconnect we see is that many who were formally educated, and spent a lot of money on it, were never educated on how to truly innovate in society. So, there is this bitterness that occurs because "nobody taught me how to make lots of money like that fat cat CEO".
Oh great..just what we need..a whole new entitlement class...

"..I went to college for 4 years..the country owes me a great paying job.."

Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,460,915 times
Objectively, what positive things has Rick Scott done for Florida so far?

He wants to "make Florida more attractive to business".... but we were and are already high on lists for low taxes and low business regulations compared with other states.

He promised 700k jobs by the end of his term. He's already in the hole on that promise. He has worked tirelessly for insurance companies, which strangle the housing market even further and make the state less attractive to relocating businesses.

No, Rick Scott is a joke. The only karmic consolation prize is that he squandered tens of millions of dollars for a one term governorship. Even then, I'm sure the governorship was just a calculated step to make a profit off of something realted to same, somewhere, somehow in the future!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,793,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Objectively, what positive things has Rick Scott done for Florida so far?

He wants to "make Florida more attractive to business".... but we were and are already high on lists for low taxes and low business regulations compared with other states.

He promised 700k jobs by the end of his term. He's already in the hole on that promise. He has worked tirelessly for insurance companies, which strangle the housing market even further and make the state less attractive to relocating businesses.

No, Rick Scott is a joke. The only karmic consolation prize is that he squandered tens of millions of dollars for a one term governorship. Even then, I'm sure the governorship was just a calculated step to make a profit off of something realted to same, somewhere, somehow in the future!
Agree 200%....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,809,629 times
The message now is "Public sector jobs are for freeloaders and private sector workers can do no wrong."

Well, think about how many of these so called "private sector" jobs actually depend in whole or in part on government spending. Many private sector jobs would be lost if we cut government spending (state and federal).

Simulation companies (defense dept money); medical industry (federal money via Medicaid and Medicare); grocery stores (SNAP money, TANF, etc - food stamps); private nursing homes (Medicaid); home health workers, medical device manufacturers, pharma industry; pharmacist jobs; speech/occupational/ physical therapist jobs (Medicaid spending, state spending, US Dept of Education spending); IT jobs (defense spending, gov't spending, state spending); construction jobs (state spending, US gov't spending). I could go on & on with this list.

The reality is that many private sector jobs and entire businesses depend largely on gov't contracts and tax dollars.

Sadly, our manufacturing base has been off-shored and the reality is FL depends in large part upon (a) pensioners from up North who move here and spend their pension money (b) foreign tourists (c) government spending in the form of Medicare.

Until the state makes something useful again, our economy is just shifting dollars around and skimming off the top.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

137 posts, read 408,826 times
Rick Scott is destroying this state. None of his ideas are doing anything to improve the condition of the State of Florida.

He is doing a great job pitting the public sector against the private sector though. He has talked the private sector into believing that Florida government is living high on the hog despite the fact that Florida has the smallest state workforce, and the lowest paid state workforce in the country.

He also talked everyone into believing that the state retirement system was doing a nose dive and would not be able to continue to exist without serious changes. Interestingly enough, just today the Florida Retirement System announced that the plan GAINED 19 billion dollars this year from investments. And it has gained 54 billion in the last 27 months. But, with Rick Scotts propaganda, the general public is thrilled about the change in the pension that was promised to state workers.

Despite having the smallest government per capita in the country, Florida is getting rid of more and more of it. Wait until the next time you have to renew your Florida driver's license. I'm dead serious when I say that the average wait in many D.L. offices is 4 hours. The problem with these cuts, is that most people won't notice them until the are effected by them. Then when they get upset about it, they'll take it out on the poor state worker behind the counter that can't do anything about it in the first place.

And we all know Scott wants to privatize anything and everything that he can. Now we wants to lay off a $9 or $10 an hour state employee at the parks and replace them with an $8 private employee. And don't forget about the private prisons. He wants to get rid of state corrections officers that make peanuts compared to other states ($30,870 regardless of time working for the state). We're going to turn over much of our prison system to private companies whose only goal is to make a profit. A Florida county just went through that mess with a privately run county jail. The private company decided not to renew it's contract and left the county high and dry. Then the county had to hurry up and hire a ton of new jail deputies just to be able to secure the facility.

Sorry, but I haven't seen a single thing that the Scott administration has done to benefit Florida. Do you really think that a person, especially a life long businessman, would spend 74 million dollars of his own money and NOT expect to get it back????

Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,195,822 times
Quote:
I see that the private sector is the bad guy in your world..the government is your trusted friend..good luck with that.

..and I'm IN the service industry..always have been..make a pretty good living...don't intend to change anything.

No..we need to cut the military some as well..and definitely cut OFF umemployment..that just encourages people to quit looking for work..and be freeloaders.
I never said the private sector is the bad guy, misinterpret much? Or that I trusted the government. My point is downsizing government and/or cutting government funding at a time when the private sector is in flames probably isn't the best idea. Lastly cutting unemployment benefits when there aren't jobs for everyone probably isn't a great idea either. Massive cuts in our out-of-control military spending and the unrealistic expectation that those few individuals (and corporations) who pull in the top 10% of income would have to pay their fair share of taxes would go a long way toward making that happen.

Last edited by kyle19125; 07-24-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida