Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,971 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking for real world opinions of living in Key West or Stock Island and attending FKCC.

I am looking to relocate to the area and attend FKCC for the registered nursing program.

I earned a college degree in a non-medical field 24 years ago. Have gone back to college here in the midwest and the grades/studying/school work don't seem to be an issue, and I am in excellent health.

I am at a point in my life, with my children off living their independent lives, that I can now have some "freedom" to do what I want, where I want.

I haven't rented a place to live in 23 years. Instead, I've always owned where I live...but I welcome the opportunity to be free of home maintenance issues and the feeling of not being "tied down" to a "home". On the flip side of this...I do have an 8 year old house cat and a full black lab, who will be 11 years old this year...and am wondering how difficult finding a rental would be with the animals.

At Florida Keys prices, including education, I figure I could live in Key West/Stock Island for 3 full years, renting, if I never made a dime of income during that time...and only IF I could scooter or bicycle my way around.

Concerned of whether or not I could rent with my animals...I recently ran across some Craigslist advertising for mobile homes, generally in the $35,000 to $40,000 price range, apparently in mobile home parks. I saw on this forum that they obviously are prone to hurricanes/wind damage...but no specific figures of insurance, taxes, etc.

I poked around a bit, and figured even if you could get a decent trailer, for say $30,000, there would still be lot rent, insurance, taxes, and maintenance...and unless my information is grossly inaccurate, living in a trailer, after the upfront cost of purchase, would be $1,300 to $1,500 a month for the lot rent, insurance, taxes, and maintenance...WHICH...happens to be about the same of renting a place with better than trailer construction.

The only difference I could see to owning a trailer versus renting...would be maybe you could sell the trailer when I was done with it or possibly rent the trailer out.

If anyone out there is a local, what have been your experiences regarding renting with animals, trailer living, the FKCC registered nursing program??

Thanks in advance for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: