Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 PM

277 posts, read 373,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
I don't get the place to raise a family stuff at all. People raise families, not places. We have family in every part of the US. Some of the kids raised in the midwest and bible belt are totally messed up, others are great. Some raised in supposedly bad places turned out amazing.

There are drugs and gangs everywhere, even in fancier places and supposedly great places to raise kids. Heck our relatives in a beautiful town in Wisconsin have 2 totally messed up kids, and half their school has problems. There are churches on every corner, all kinds of family activities....yet many kids in that area are troubled.

For us, our kids love the beach, being outdoors, tennis, golf, warm weather. We make sure we know all about every one of their circle of friends. We do family activities, many times at home or close to home. We do not need a specific type of community to raise good kids....and neither does anyone else. We are raising them. We would raise good kids in the city, the country, south Florida, Wisconsin...anywhere.

And the majority of people do not live right next to their extended family yet many raise great kids anyway. People look for places and excuses for raising kids when they should just look in the mirror.
Talking about messed up kids from the Bible Belt...... Never mind. I lived in Charlotte prior to Tampa. The kids committed crimes up there and joined gangs! The reason, little to no parental supervision. Which goes to show what you said is true. It does not matter how "family friendly" a place is. There are negative elements everywhere and it is the parent's responsibility to monitor it.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangpam View Post
On my vacation (which was fantastic), I did notice all the way from Daytona Beach to Vero Beach, there were A LOT (I mean 3 out of 5) houses up for sale. It could be a lot of things. Maybe there's a rumor that this hurricane season will be the worst ever. Maybe people are sick of tourists. Maybe they know something we don't know. I'm not moving there though, I like my vacations and don't want to get tired of the beach.

I have lived here for almost 4 years and am still not tired of it.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley959 View Post
Yea If I get this job in Missouri, we're outta here too. Maybe will know by this weekend. We're in a small town in Florida and we can't touch the prices of housing and I'm making less here than I did in Arkansas. We've been here one year and we've said enough. Disney World, Universal, the beaches, the warm weather....BAHHHH. We don't have the money due to our low wage paying jobs, and we're working more and longer hours here than we ever did back home to even being able to go to those places. We're in a rented apartment and in Missouri we can OWN a house for the same if not just a little more than the 625 we pay a month for a crappy apartment. Florida is nice to visit, but to live, I don't think so, at least in North Central Florida. This place has some of worst looking imbred and dumb people I have ever seen.
Rather strange. I lived in Charlotte and was vastly underpaid. I live in Tampa and I have made over 12k more a year when I moved here. Now, at the peak of what I was earning in Charlotte, I am making almost 20k more. Good jobs and careers are out there. As for where you live, all I can say is that I live in Tampa and I have never been as far north in Florida where you are.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
ppl moving to sc, tx, and missouri are saying in fla they are seeing a lot of "imbred and dumb" looking ppl... you all are in for a suprise if you think fla is as imbred as you can get, while your headed to sc or missouri.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
It does not matter how "family friendly" a place is. There are negative elements everywhere and it is the parent's responsibility to monitor it.
There is a difference between moving b/c of being NEAR FAMILY and moving due to concerns about the environment for one's family.

Don't remember many posts seeing someone state the perfect, non-crime, no drugs, etc place to raise a family.

Of course there are negative elements everywhere & of course it is a parent's job to monitor it.

So, if one feels that the area they are in is not a suitable place after monitoring it & living in it, why should they feel like they are a crappy parent? If a family decides that a move is best for the family, what, so they failed b/c they didn't force things to work out?

It is amazing...now people are judged for leaving Florida due to family, money, weather, jobs and just not being the perfect parent with all the right answers.

If one calls UHaul to move into OR out of Florida, so be it. Best of luck to them.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM

174 posts, read 666,708 times
Yes, I agree 121804......why do they care so much that we don't like certain aspects of the going ons of this state. They really should be focusing on important issues in this state before the economy hits rock bottom and they are all looking to move.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
ppl moving to sc, tx, and missouri are saying in fla they are seeing a lot of "imbred and dumb" looking ppl... you all are in for a suprise if you think fla is as imbred as you can get, while your headed to sc or missouri.
You got that right! And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Hello, 95 is on the east coast to get to 95 you must go 75n to get to route 4 TO GET TO 95 to get the hell out or to get to Alabama, Texas and points north and west of that. Geez no wonder you are backtofla.
Just obsessive about details here, but if you are already west of I-4 who would leave I-75N to go to EAST on I-4 to 95N to get to Alabama, Texas, or other points west?

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled pizzing contest.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM

174 posts, read 666,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
Just obsessive about details here, but if you are already west of I-4 who would leave I-75N to go to EAST on I-4 to 95N to get to Alabama, Texas, or other points west?

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled pizzing contest.
Hence the word OR

Old 08-17-2007, 08:05 AM

11 posts, read 30,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Rather strange. I lived in Charlotte and was vastly underpaid. I live in Tampa and I have made over 12k more a year when I moved here. Now, at the peak of what I was earning in Charlotte, I am making almost 20k more. Good jobs and careers are out there. As for where you live, all I can say is that I live in Tampa and I have never been as far north in Florida where you are.

Dang maybe I better look at Tampa. Serouisly I'm work in radio, and this place doesn't pay what I'm worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida