Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM

258 posts, read 614,911 times

Advertisements

Recently, my buddy came to visit. He's from Australia. He just left after passing holidays here in Florida with his wife and kids, passing 6 weeks (Key West, Key Largo, Miami, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton). He was shocked at how many Hispanics and Brasilians are here now. According to him, he could not hear any English speaking people most of the time, in shopping centers and on the street. It was either Portuguese, Spanish or French ... And, in Hotels in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, women who clean rooms asked if he spoke Spanish because they did not speak English ... He could not believe this ... He said " Dont get me wrong, I am all for people having jobs, but come on, if you live and work in a country, you should speak their language surely."

He's Australian but lives on & off in Costa Rica for 17 yrs. He speaks fluent Spanish thinks so should other people who are foreigners living in the USA as well as in other countries.

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-05-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times
Welcome to Florida, it has a lot of diversity. Many different cultures can be found in the state, especially with its proximity to the Carribean.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Most people in South Florida speak English. Most people in Miami Dade county speak Spanish and English. Broward Palm Beach the Keys just about everyone speaks English. But in Miami it can be a problem with people speaking Spanish. I have no problem at all with people speaking Spanish or any other language with others just the problem when I walk into the bank or grocery store and they ask me doi need help in Spanish, or give me the amount due in Spanish. I speak Spanish, I just hate that. Your friend is right this is America. However low income jobs like hotel maids is not a Miami problem with them not knowing English this is a nation wide problem especially in large cities and the southwest.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
The problem is accentuated in Miami-Dade County-----there are areas where Spanish is the predominant language----it has been that way for many years----thats just the way it is and most people down here learn to live with it.

Broward and Palm Beach County are becoming increasingly Hispanic-----these two counties are still predominantly English speaking-----it is common to here Spanish quite often----just the way it is in South Florida---and not necessarily a bad thing.

After Hurricane Andrew hit in the early 90s there was a Hispanic migration to Broward and part of Palm Beach County-----Pemboke Pines in Broward now has a high percentage of Hispanics.

South Florida is the gateway to the Caribbean----so it shouldnt be a shock there is a large Hispanic presence here. Mostly Hispanic people are fine folks---they work hard and pay their bills. The second generation Hispanics mostly speak English----new immigrants still speak Spanish only, but eventually they will have to learn some English.

There is no use getting frustrated about this----I did some years ago, but it is counter productive.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Is your friend assuming that the people speaking Spanish around him don't speak English? My experience in Miami is that Spanish is the first language for most folks and what they speak to each other, but almost everyone (except some of the old folks) speaks at least some English. Just because everyone at the mall is speaking Spanish to each other doesn't make it a good assumption that they don't speak English also.

I don't know why he included Monroe County there. The Keys aren't anywhere near as Hispanic as Miami-Dade.

The hotel maid language issue isn't limited to Miami. That's true nationwide.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Recently, my buddy came to visit. He's from Australia. He just left after passing holidays here in Florida with his wife and kids, passing 6 weeks (Key West, Key Largo, Miami, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton). He was shocked at how many Hispanics and Brasilians are here now. According to him, he could not hear any English speaking people most of the time, in shopping centers and on the street. It was either Portuguese, Spanish or French ... And, in Hotels in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, women who clean rooms asked if he spoke Spanish because they did not speak English ... He could not believe this ... He said " Dont get me wrong, I am all for people having jobs, but come on, if you live and work in a country, you should speak their language surely."

He's Australian but lives on & off in Costa Rica for 17 yrs. He speaks fluent Spanish thinks so should other people who are foreigners living in the USA as well as in other countries.
I live in Broward although I spend some time in Miami as well. My experience is that the vast majority of native Spanish speakers also speak English. They may prefer Spanish and speak it when they are with their family (shopping, dining, etc.) but they do understand and speak English. There are some areas of Miami where this is not true but for the vast majority of areas in the tri county region most Spanish speakers also speak English.

It is common all over the country for immigrants who lack English skills to work as hotel maids or office cleaners. That is not specific to Miami. In Miami the best jobs are for BILINGUAL people. English is a must for the very best jobs.

My middle son's girlfriend has relatives from Peru. When he visits the house they speak Spanish. He understands Spanish and often answers them in English. He can be there for a whole day with them speaking Spanish and him speaking English. They all have jobs that require them to read, write and speak English. They just prefer Spanish at home.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
It seems your australian friend confused American English with Spanish. There is no way in hell he heard Spanish all the time in Broward or Palm Beach county.

Mr Kurtz, you have make these kind of posts all the time. You seem to enjoy attacking hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida