Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

I meant Broward College North Campus We are starting to visit colleges with our son..We are going to FIU, FAU and North Broward since it also offers 4 year degrees...Does anyone have any Input on this school? He is looking into the PT Program but it is a PT assistant and yes it is Accredited and is planning to go for his BS and then Doctorate in PT/Orthopedic and Sports Medicine...any Recommendations, As we need to start filling out Applications.

Thank You

Last edited by Swimmom32; 03-07-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
If he is qualified to get into FIU or FAU STAY AWAY from Broward or Miami-Dade college. They recently began having four year degrees, many still see them as community colleges. Of that is where he gets in out of the three go of course. But FAU and especially FIU are much much better alternatives.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM

thanks guys..he wouldn't attend there for the 4 years...They have an Associate of Science degree and a PT Assistant program however he does want to further his education and go for his Doctorate..We are just trying to figure out what would be best, maybe start off at PBSC or Broward and go the 2 years and then transfer as PBSC has a Partner program with FAU so he would go right into the school after obtaining his Associates Degree, Our only concern will be the classes he will need to take for his field...FIU has the Doctorate program where he would like to attend and I think from what im reading it would be beneficial for him to maybe attend FIU Junior and Senior Year and then apply for the Doctorate Program..any thoughts?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
thanks guys..he wouldn't attend there for the 4 years...They have an Associate of Science degree and a PT Assistant program however he does want to further his education and go for his Doctorate..We are just trying to figure out what would be best, maybe start off at PBSC or Broward and go the 2 years and then transfer as PBSC has a Partner program with FAU so he would go right into the school after obtaining his Associates Degree, Our only concern will be the classes he will need to take for his field...FIU has the Doctorate program where he would like to attend and I think from what im reading it would be beneficial for him to maybe attend FIU Junior and Senior Year and then apply for the Doctorate Program..any thoughts?
If he wants to get a graduate degree he is much better off being on campus at a 4 year university. The faculty is higher level, the other students are higher level and the perception is better for a university as opposed to a community college.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM

Yes that is correct but it wont matter because he must take his pre-requisits the 1st 2 years anyway so it really doesnt matter if its at PBSC or if he decideds to do the PT Assistant Program and get is AS degree at Broward and then finish Junior and Senior year in either FAU or FIU for his Bachelors Degree. It just so happens that FIU has a Great Doctorate Program but It might be easier for him to get into that program if he attends FIU in his last 2 years...His GPA is just shy of a 4 yr university requires, because freshman yr he didnt do all that well and sophmore year he did better but he missed some school due to Surgery and was a little behind and had to play catch up this year he is doing extremely well averaging a 3.2 but when combined with his other years GPA he still comes up a bit short His ACT score is average and we feel that starting out at PBSC or Broward might be what is best for him ..My Question was that Broward has a PT program already and and wanted to know as a whole if this school would be a good choice as he would graduate from the PT program and take a test to obtain a license but its a PT Assistant Degree, so at this point would that be a good route to go and then finish up at either above school for his bachelor's degree...with that being said, I then need to find out what other classes will be needed once he transfers into either school..FIU has the Doctorate Program as well as UM and NOVA U however we can not afford either of those schools...His goal is to open is own practice one day with his specialty of Orthopedic/Sports Medicine...

thank you for all your responses Still cant believe I have a child going to college soon...lol

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM

If he gets into FIU or FAU you go there, no questions ask no doubt about. Unless there are some serious financial constraints. FIU and FAU will give a much better shot of getting into a grad program and prepare him better for the final two years of college and there will be no worrying about getting into the four year schools.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Exactly FLY that is what im thinking thank you We can do FAU or FIU just not UM or NOVA U...since they are private...I think he is leaning towards FIU just a big commute from Boca..lol He doesn't want to Dorm..sometimes its good to think out loud..I think going this route will best and then he can get his GPA up for when he enters one of these schools...Transfer Students the requirement is a 2.0 for both schools when coming from PBSC or Broward..FIU graduate school is 3.0 for his doctorate and of course a lot of the other requirements he will have to meet...

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Exactly FLY that is what im thinking thank you We can do FAU or FIU just not UM or NOVA U...since they are private...I think he is leaning towards FIU just a big commute from Boca..lol He doesn't want to Dorm..sometimes its good to think out loud..I think going this route will best and then he can get his GPA up for when he enters one of these schools...Transfer Students the requirement is a 2.0 for both schools when coming from PBSC or Broward..FIU graduate school is 3.0 for his doctorate and of course a lot of the other requirements he will have to meet...
Exactly. I will say don't worry too much about graduate school just yet. Just want to get good grades in undergrad and the time will come to worry about grad school.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Given the amount of people that change their mind about their course of study and future studies, I would not be worrying too much about a doctorate program right now. Usually for most people it comes during the last two years of college, because that is when they have a true grip on life on what they want to do, and that is when they have to plan take pre-requisite courses for entry into the graduate program they want.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Given the amount of people that change their mind about their course of study and future studies, I would not be worrying too much about a doctorate program right now. Usually for most people it comes during the last two years of college, because that is when they have a true grip on life on what they want to do, and that is when they have to plan take pre-requisite courses for entry into the graduate program they want.
Exactly Box that is why we figured why stress the 1st 2 years at this point and the fact that the Transition from HS to College is a very overwhelming experience, Let him just get those pre-req's out of the way..lol and I would normally agree with you as a few of his friends do not know what they want to do, but with my son being an athlete or was he was a competitive and HS swimmer for 3 years he has his heart on this field for quite sometime now He has always wanted to be able to help people/Althetes and Children..His dad is in Business and he has no interest in that ave or Corporate America
The advantage with the PT Field is the growth is projected to grow 30% in the next 10-15 years. At least he will be able to get a job after school...lol

So we shall see!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida