Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 AM

145 posts, read 237,772 times

Advertisements

Up until yesterday, I was dead set on Neptune Beach, but I have recently decided to do some more thorough research on a few other beach towns, Jupiter and Charleston. I'll list what I have come up with so far, I have WAY more research for JAX, just need some help filling in the blanks for the other 2.

Neptune has:
Bikram Yoga
Affordable housing
Good schools
Farmer's Markets
Lots of outdoor activities
Laid Back beach
Lots of little eateries
Big city close by for jobs
Lots of bike riders

Jupiter has:
Bikram Yoga

Charleston SC has:
Trader Joes
Bikram Yoga

Beyond that, I don't know much yet about the other 2.

I really want a laid back, active beach community. Health conscious people, farmer's/open air markets, friendly, with good schools. Any input?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I think you're on track with Neptune Beach. Jupiter you'll probably find a bit too Cougartown-ish and Charleston while nice will be less laidback due to the touristy aspect and not as health-conscious, not to mention a much smaller metro area with less to do overall. FYI, Jacksonville has a Whole Foods Market and is no doubt in line for a Trader Joe's as the company has started to open stores in Florida. Jacksonville would certainly make sense from a distribution standpoint for the company given it's proximity to current stores in GA and SC.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think you're on track with Neptune Beach. Jupiter you'll probably find a bit too Cougartown-ish and Charleston while nice will be less laidback due to the touristy aspect and not as health-conscious, not to mention a much smaller metro area with less to do overall. FYI, Jacksonville has a Whole Foods Market and is no doubt in line for a Trader Joe's as the company has started to open stores in Florida. Jacksonville would certainly make sense from a distribution standpoint for the company given it's proximity to current stores in GA and SC.

I definitely agree with the Trader Joes thing... it would make the most sense, they have one in Naples and i think in St Pete's... Jacksonville would make the most sense. It doesn't matter how much research I do, I keep getting pointed back towards jacksonville. Seems to have the most of what I am looking for in a beach community... except a TJs! I saw that there was a whole foods, but there are also some farmer's markets on the beach that look interesting. Where do you live? (I think I definitely want to stay away from Cougartown haha) And another question, not that I am looking right now, but I would like the option. Is everyone in JAX married? Or is there a big 30s and single population, especially near the beaches area?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
I definitely agree with the Trader Joes thing... it would make the most sense, they have one in Naples and i think in St Pete's... Jacksonville would make the most sense. It doesn't matter how much research I do, I keep getting pointed back towards jacksonville. Seems to have the most of what I am looking for in a beach community... except a TJs! I saw that there was a whole foods, but there are also some farmer's markets on the beach that look interesting. Where do you live? (I think I definitely want to stay away from Cougartown haha) And another question, not that I am looking right now, but I would like the option. Is everyone in JAX married? Or is there a big 30s and single population, especially near the beaches area?
I live in the Orlando area (not by choice) and have extensively researched/visited Jacksonville as my "next place". No, I don't think everyone in Jacksonville is married (not by a long shot) as the demographics show an average age of 34 (by far the lowest of any major city in FL), 32% of the population being age 25 to 44, and 26% of all households as individuals within a population of 822,000.

Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
Sarasota is building a TJ right now, not St. Pete. They are building a few stores in FL to start, I am guessing Tampa next in line, followed by Orlando and Jax - they go where Whole Foods are.

I don't have personal knowledge of Neptune, but based on the other choices and other comments I have to agree, especially with Kyle's comments on Jupiter and Charleston. And as mentioned, the Jax area is just so much larger if jobs are a priority. Convenient to get to a lot of other areas as well. So that is my .02 cents!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Well... I am glad that I ventured out to look at other cities... but I think I am feeling pretty good about my Neptune Beach decision... and you're right, it is Sarasota, my mistake :-). Wish they would hurry the heck up! There's already a whole foods in Jax!!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM

25 posts, read 87,222 times
I lived in Neptune Beach for 7 years, so I am pretty familiar with the beaches area. Because of the Navy and influx of young professionals, the beaches are a really fun place to be and not everyone is married. Nightlife was great down there and has the laid back beach feel you want (going to bars and restaurants in flip flops is acceptable and the "norm". If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM

I just messaged you :-) Where do you live now? And why did you leave?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM

25 posts, read 87,222 times
Jdweaze-we live in PA now but are moving back down south to Charleston,SC in the next few months. We left for my husband's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida