Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 114,553 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Toronto, Canada which has a horrible traffic problem. We do not want to move to another traffic congested city where it takes 30 minutes to go 3 miles.
Which city has the worst traffic problem? Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Tampa?
We are looking for a safe community with low crime rates, great schools, and easy driving to and fro. Which city is best?
I am an anesthesiologist looking to relocate to a place where my children can grow up within a great community, and have lots of cultural things to do for my wife and I. I would love to have a place with a low cost of living & reasonable housing rates.

Bottom Line: Which city would you recommend given my wants/needs?

Thanks for each and everyone's input. We really appreciate it.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 PM

25 posts, read 75,376 times
hello and Welcome i would like to recomend Hudson ,Fairway oak subdivison , Hospital is only 1-mile a way

Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 PM

11 posts, read 114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluka View Post
hello and Welcome i would like to recomend Hudson ,Fairway oak subdivison , Hospital is only 1-mile a way
In which city?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
ft lauderdale and hollywood? habla espanol?

tampa traffic is most likely the worst.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjjohn View Post
We are moving from Toronto, Canada which has a horrible traffic problem. We do not want to move to another traffic congested city where it takes 30 minutes to go 3 miles.
Which city has the worst traffic problem? Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Tampa?
We are looking for a safe community with low crime rates, great schools, and easy driving to and fro. Which city is best?
I am an anesthesiologist looking to relocate to a place where my children can grow up within a great community, and have lots of cultural things to do for my wife and I. I would love to have a place with a low cost of living & reasonable housing rates.

Bottom Line: Which city would you recommend given my wants/needs?

Thanks for each and everyone's input. We really appreciate it.
I can only speak for Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood which are next door to one another. Miami just was ranked #1 Rudest Drivers (actually this is our second year with this #1 ranking), Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood are close enough to Miami to get lumped into the Rudest Drivers category. We have conjestion here, no getting around that. Not the worst in the state (Orlando being the worst) but we are probably 2nd worst in traffic and during the winter months when the snowbirds are down it gets worse.

As far as schools, Florida isn't known to have the best schools in the country, however there are some individual schools that do get ranked pretty high, but they are the minority. The florida school system usually gets ranked pretty low, compared to other states. If you do want your kids to have a good education, and aren't near those few good schools, put them in Private School.

As far as reasonable housing costs and low cost of living, South Florida (Ft. lauderdale (Broward county), Palm Beach County and Miami-Dade County) is the most expensive in the state. Tampa is cheaper overall. I know you are looking at Hollywood or Ft. lauderdale, but they are so close to Miami that their prices are lower than Miami's but not a lot lower than Miami. Miami is ranked 39th in the world for highest cost of living. I think it was ranked like 2nd or 3rd in the US for highest cost of living this year. Because the wages are so low in Florida compared to the cost of things like groceries, homes, etc...South Florida isn't San Fran in prices, but it isn't like it used to be either.

As far as low crime, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood probably don't have low crime. You could go further west of Ft. Lauderdale and get less crime in the subburbs, but then you will have traffic conjestion.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-22-2007 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
I gotta think with kids that there are better places in FL other than Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood. When I think of raising kids, those two places don't pop out as the best places. These two places are not necessarily known for low crime, good traffic, good schools or reasonable housing. Keep in mind their proximity to Miami. As someone wrote: "Habla Espanol?"

Like stated above, the overall public school system in FL is one of the worst in the country. Many of the private schools are not all that much better in many areas. Do as much research as you can b/c there are some counties in FL that have decent schools, be it both public & private.

There is a national sex offender registry that you can access online to give you details of sex offenders in the areas you would be considering. [ I consider sex offenders "criminals"; hence response to crime question]. Florida is known for housing a very high number of sex offenders.

Just be really cautious. With children, I would rule out South Florida in a heartbeat. Not even a question due to just a litany of reasons.

If you are intent on Florida, I would look further north in the state which appears to be more family oriented, etc.

[There was just a report that came out about commutes & congestions in US traffic...it is bad in every metro area ; keep in mind that Florida gets bombarded with snowbirds & retirees who have to make tee time & early bird specials during the winter months].

Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
ft lauderdale and hollywood? habla espanol?

tampa traffic is most likely the worst.
Tampa would have the least traffic of the 3.

18 years ago when I lived in the Lauderdale area the traffic was worse than it is around Tampa now. That does not even take into account the growth that I am sure has made traffic worse there.

Crime and schools will be specific to neighborhoods in each area.

I did not have children when I lived in the Lauderdale area so I can't comment on the schools there but as far as crime, I had guns pulled on me more in Lauderdale in 2 years than I did in 25 years in the Bronx.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,518 times
According to the Texas transportation urban mobility report of Worst traffic areas/cities.
Miami is ranked#11 and Tampa Bay #20.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
According to the Texas transportation urban mobility report of Worst traffic areas/cities.
Miami is ranked#11 and Tampa Bay #20.
I read the report a little differently.

Using the annual delay per traveler average it shows an average of 28 hours of delay for the 85 metropolitan areas.

Orlando was ranked 7th with 36 hours.
Miami was ranked 10th with 34 hours.
Tampa was ranked 40th with 21 hours.

I know there are a few different charts in the report so not refuting you just got my data from a different chart I guess.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I read the report a little differently.

Using the annual delay per traveler average it shows an average of 28 hours of delay for the 85 metropolitan areas.

Orlando was ranked 7th with 36 hours.
Miami was ranked 10th with 34 hours.
Tampa was ranked 40th with 21 hours.

I know there are a few different charts in the report so not refuting you just got my data from a different chart I guess.
Yes, I know there are different summaries and charts and since I've changed my browser security to erase history every time I close, I can't find the link I used.
Whichever data we use from the report, it all means the same thing-- Tampa has less traffic congestion than the Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida